Wrestler vs Grappler

jadizm

Self Serve Vanilla Pussy!!
@Brown
Reaction score
My brother and I have been taking Jiu Jitsu for almost a year know and he is going to be joining the wreslting team at school...does any one know if some jiu jitsu techniques will work in a wresltling match? the rules are way different than jiu jitsu and giving your back to an opponent is going to take some time getting use to. Does Jiu Jitsu use more technique than wrestling? thanks!

jadizm said:
My brother and I have been taking Jiu Jitsu for almost a year know and he is going to be joining the wreslting team at school...does any one know if some jiu jitsu techniques will work in a wresltling match? the rules are way different than jiu jitsu and giving your back to an opponent is going to take some time getting use to. Does Jiu Jitsu use more technique than wrestling? thanks!

The amount of tech is the same. Imo, jj for wrestling doesn't work out so well considering the scoring systems. Might help getting out from bottom. Getting the back. Removing the posts that wrestlers do.

some of the bottom movement drills will help but that is about it, one system forbids going to your back, the other it is a preferred position, judo is a better alternative for both arts.

1) Jiu-Jitsu doesn't have "Better" technique than wrestling. They are different sports and require different techniques.

2) If you're going to be on a wrestling team, learn to wrestle. Your jiu-jitsu game will thank you later.

3) Stop trying to use jits techniques to get ahead in wrestling, its going to lose you a match most of the time.

Anybody know of some good Judo techniques to improve my basketball game?

Your brother would do better to think of how wrestling will help his juijitsu than the other way around. Apart from some of the takedowns he might have learned in class, the rules are so different that there probably won't be much for him to apply. He will probably pick up wrestling a little faster than he would have otherwise as the basic motor skills, spacing, timing and general of economy of motion that one learns in any grappling sport is more or less transferable. If your brother decides to continue taking bjj, the experience will only help him down the road, but the only real difference having trained bjj will make is that he is already somewhat conditioned to grapple.

any sweeps you used to attack the turtle or the back without hooks in.. thats about it.

lee.l. said:

Definitely learn o-goshi. It will help with your crossover dribble.

lee.l. said:
1) Jiu-Jitsu doesn't have "Better" technique than wrestling. They are different sports and require different techniques.

2) If you're going to be on a wrestling team, learn to wrestle. Your jiu-jitsu game will thank you later.

3) Stop trying to use jits techniques to get ahead in wrestling, its going to lose you a match most of the time.

I would imagaine if you didn't have the ball, but your team did, you could use kuzushi (canting and tilting) to get by defenders. But thats street ball, and you could only use it for like 1 second, or else you look strange.

the grip exercises in judo will help your grip on the racquet (sp) as well as the throws helping you learn to control your weight and move it, thus yielding more powerful volleys. So yes, Sambo and Judo will improve your tennis game.

Fucking genius. You could market this shit with Matt Furey and make a killing brother.

thanks for all the help guys and also for all the bullshit comments...much appreciated!

i find the bullshit is fun aslong as you got your answer before hand.

much appreciated as I said :D

There are probably very few straight bjj techniques that will be appliccable to wrestling, due to the tremendous differences in rules. The wrestling will help the bjj with takedowns, but I don't think a year of bjj will help wrestling, aside from a general comfort with grappling movement.

As for technical level, both are equally technical when you put it perspective. The techniques are very different though.

Gsoares2 said:
any sweeps you used to attack the turtle or the back without hooks in.. thats about it.
The majority of wrestlers in folkstyle are not going to go to put the legs in.

yeha i think the wrestling will help JJ rather than the other way around.

yeah i guess he'll just have to start over and pretty much learn from scratch

One technique I did in wrestling after doing BJJ for a while was that whenever an opponent tried to take me down, and because I had a crap sprawl, I would try to sweep the opponent with my momentum. I know this sounds dumb, and it is, but I used it to not get pinned. Being out techniqued I could handle, this guy trained more, blah blah blah, points I didn't care about really, because the matches were short, and I joined wrestling only for the takedowns and endurance. Getting pinned I couldn't stand. It is basically saying, "I can hold you down and you are my bitch." I did not like it one bit. So, whenever someone came in to double leg me, I would fall back to my butt, and try to put one hook in or both hooks into a butterfly guard position, and get an underhook on one side, but it wasnt needed. When the guy tried to force me foward on my back, I would rock back and kick one of my hooks up, and push with my body to the side I was kicking, to get his weight off me for a second. While he was suspended in the air for like 1/10 of a second, I would scramble out the side and go for a short double leg from the knees, and more often than not take him over so I was on top. Wrestlers are going to say, "WTF? Learn to wrestle" or "That's bullshit!". Well I only got pinned in my first tournament I was in, never again, and I haven't been teched, ever. So It works for me.

Back