Wrestleben's IBJJF Chicago Videos (long)

Wrestleben

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I competed at the IBJJF Chicago open this weekend. It was a very good tournament, that was without question the best I have ever competed at in the midwest. We get Naga's and a few smaller ones out here, but I was pumped to have to the first IBJJF within driving distance (only 4 hours).

The tournament was awesome. Basically it was run like an anti-naga. Instead of 14 mats and hardly any staff; they had 6 mats and tons of staff. It was very organized and ran on time most of the day before falling 30+minutes behind schedule towards the end of the day. The level of competition was great, and most of the ref's were fantastic. I say most because there were a few that consistently had coaches yelling at them, and a couple that didn't seem like they were paying much attention to what was going on, especially towards the end of the day.

I competed in the masters heavyweight (207.5 lbs with gi) blue belt division. I could have cut to light heavyweight pretty easy (194 with a gi), but decided to not stress about it since this was my first tournament where you weigh in right before you compete. I also was going to do the adult division, thinking it would be bigger; but my teammate Jeff (aka Crazy Eyes or Dexter) was in that division.

We drove in the night before with my professor and 6 competitors. My professor was going to compete, but wasn't able to get his IBJJF black belt certificate stuff processed in time. Looking at the interwebs, a lot of black belts had this issue and there wasn't a ton of black belt competitors. I didn't sleep well and ate a crappy runny scrambled egg hotel breakfast.

We got to the venue at around 9am and settled in. It was at this huge high school in Evanston that they had the last couple Naga's at. It was in the main gym though, instead of the secondary gym that Naga used. It was a great facility with bleachers all around high up on in the air, giving a great view. There were some basketball hoops obstructing the view from a few angles, but it wasn't too bad. The main issue with is that is was MUGGY in the building. There was no AC and the only fans going were by the corners of the mats on the ground. Everyone (even the spectators) were sweating profusely.

My Crazy Eye'd teammate (sherdogger JdonW), got my school going with a impressive performance winning the Adult blue belt heavyweight. I was up next. There were 9 or 10 guys in my division and I got a bye in the first round.

I am open to any feedback, comments, questions, or criticisms from all levels. My goal is not to win tournaments, but to improve my BJJ.

Last edited:
1st match.

I am in the white Carlson Gracie Team gi. Being the first match, I wanted to stay relaxed, not burn myself out, control my adrenaline, and get a submission if possible. The guy was from one of the GB Chicago schools, and I was fortunate to get an early takedown and control him from the top. I worked a guard pass and eventually got my favorite cross choke from north south. My big mistake in this match was aroun 3:05 when my coach told me to work to take his back. I jumped on his back instead of shrimping out and pulling him into me. It cost me position momentarily, but I was able to keep an arm drag and reverse him back.

2nd match.

I am in the white Carlson Gracie Team gi. I watched this guys first match and he is obviously very tall, and had a great first match against what looked like a very good opponent. I figured this guy liked to play guard with his long legs, and I wanted to either take him down to anything but full guard, or else jump guard. He ended up pulling guard, but I was expecting it and was able to keep some distance. At 1:10 I try to jump around his guard and he times it nicely sweeping me over to a weird almost reverse mount. I stay calm and try to take his back from the position. Eventually I am able to reverse him and get back on top. I eventually end up in his half guard and work passes/chokes until I am finally able to pass his guard to get the points for the win.

finals.

This is where everything goes to hell. I was pretty tired after my last match, but thought I would be ok. I wanted to take him down and play top, as had been working for me so far. He comes in shooting, but nothing too difficult to handle. Eventually I decided that I will guillotine him, instead of defending the takedown. I rarely practice guillotines and pretty much never do them from standing, so this was a mistake. I ended up using poor technique, and not retaining guard. He ends up mounting me. I think he was in a little danger from the choke while mounted, but eventually get got out. I escape mount and get to half guard. At this point I had nothing left. Half guard is probably my best position, and I got deep and had dhg and x guard sweeps for days, but just didn't have the energy to pull them off. I was very disappointed by my performance. He was a cool guy, but I don't think I have him my best.

After the blue belt divisions, a couple of us went to chili's for a quick lunch. I ate a delicious pork sandwich and felt a lot better. We got back to the place in time to watch a couple of my other teammates in their white belt divisions, and I got to rest a little. Soon my absolute (masters) division was up.

I have a white koral light gi with no patch on in all of these.

1st match absolute.

This guy was big, so I knew I didn't want him on top of me. I shoot a quick takedown and crush him. I pass his guard right away and work some knee on belly. I eventually finish him in a cross choke from knee on belly with his lapel fed behind his head.

2nd match absolute

After a minute or so of dancing, my opponent pulls guard. I push through to half guard and start working for a darce. I wanted to get a mounted darce finish which I have been practicing (inspired by Drew Fosters thread), but he was defending pretty well. Eventually I work the same cross choke that I finished in my 2nd match of my weight division.

Absolute finals.

This guy was from a Royce Gracie school in North Carolina. There was a little confusion as our division was split on two mats, and apparently neither mat knew that there was another mat going, but eventually they figured it out and we had the finals set. I didn't really see this guy fight, but he looked smaller then me, but very athletic.

He works some good grips on me, but I just try and keep inside position and wait for a setup or mistake so I can take him down. He attempts a sacrifice throw, but I recover and he pulls me in tight to his guard. I am able to hook his leg to avoid the triangle, but he has a good overhook pinning my arm. I am fortunate to have several teammates with good guard, but a couple specifically who are extremely flexible, and I have been in this situation many times before. I was comfortable and confident I was going to pass. I hard the guys teammate yell that his guard was "unpassable" which made me more excited to pass it. Eventually I work a technique my professor has drilled with us countless times, by grabbing his cross collar, stacking him, putting my knee in his back/butt and then hipping in to finish the pass. You can choke people from this position, which is what I was trying to do, but they often give up the pass instead. I was confident with a 3-0 lead, but unfortunately he started screaming because he got a leg cramp. I was kind of confused because the ref didn't acknowledge it in any way. I got off him anyways, and the ref said nothing. I asked him if the match was over due to verbal submission and he gave me a half nod. I was excited for the win, but definitely wanted to finish the match. Hats off to Mr. Avila for a great fight.

Last edited:
Congratulations man. You looked very good out there.

I've only watched the first two matches so far, but nice top pressure.

Good top pressure. I still have no idea how you choked those dudes from north south interesting choke. Great performance

good job man. i was there for most of the day and there were some very talented competitors at all levels...no easy matches for anyone.

did you happen to catch ryan hall's match? it was pretty cool to watch him do his thing live.

Thanks guys, I am looking for a video of the choke I did.

good job man. i was there for most of the day and there were some very talented competitors at all levels...no easy matches for anyone.

did you happen to catch ryan hall's match? it was pretty cool to watch him do his thing live.

I have Ryan Hall's match on video. I'm gonna upload it tonight or tomorrow probably. He had a SICK back take.

It's basically this one...except I don't get the second grip until I'm on the other side of his body, then go back to north south to finish.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paula676
Back