Wouldn't Jones pick apart Rumble with kicks and jabs. Gus is the only answer.

King Crab

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Rumble has hand speed and obvious knock out power but it seems almost assured that similar to the Rampage fight he will get picked apart by Jones with those nasty shin checks, side kicks...pushed to the fence and subsequently get his ass taken down.

I think Gus will be even tougher this time and like robbie l. will know exactly what he needs to do to school Jon. it's become painfully apparent that you need a specific toolbox to stifle Jones...that being good reach, standup and the ability to pressure the fight to keep him off balance. I saw from his fight with Gus where Jon would retreat and still get tagged because Gusy has the reach to extend and connect with his punches where someone like DC would just be whiffing air.

Jon Jones striking is "creative" but his fundamentals and combinations are sorely lacking if JBJ ever gets a stiff proper jab he'll be nightmarish on the feet. Rumble just hits me as not having a good fight iq however he is the better kickboxer and brawler of the two......but so was shogun. never picking against bones again.

IF Jones fights Rumble, he better do all he can to fight like he did in the Rampage fight and keep Rumble as faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from him as possible.

If he lets him get in on him like he did Cormier, it could be ugly for him. Rumble has a way of catching dudes in exchanges with odd stuff.

Very hard to tell how it would go, Rumble looked stellar but I'm not sure he's fast enough to catch JJ. The Gus fight will give us a lot of answers

Rumble has shown a weakness to eye pokes in the past.
Also if Kos could out wrestle him imagine what jones could do

Jon Jones striking is "creative" but his fundamentals and combinations are sorely lacking if JBJ ever gets a stiff proper jab he'll be nightmarish on the feet. Rumble just hits me as not having a good fight iq however he is the better kickboxer and brawler of the two......but so was shogun. never picking against bones again.

No shit man. If Winklejohn is so great why can't freakishly long Jones throw a jab?

Kicks is all Jone had against Gus in the first fight and why he "won".

40% of his strikes were kicks. 27% were kicking "jabs". Few seemed truly significant and yet they were all scored as significant strikes.

Rumble has shown a weakness to eye pokes in the past.
Also if Kos could out wrestle him imagine what jones could do

Lol so your comparing welterweight rumble to light heavyweight rumble? Also without mentioning his tdd in the Phil Davis fight? Wow

If Rumble beats Gus, I think he gives Jones a tough match.

Although his plodding forward fighting style is strikingly similar to Rampage. If he doesn't make adjustments to Jones' skillset, he would just get out jabbed.

Kicks is all Jone had against Gus in the first fight and why he "won".

40% of his strikes were kicks. 27% were kicking "jabs". Few seemed truly significant and yet they were all scored as significant strikes.

They need another term added, maybe a complimentary strike or something to that effect when talking about prodding strikes and power strikes for something truly intended to finish the fight. As it is, calling a leg kick and a head kick the same thing dilutes the whole point of even showing the stats.

If Gus is slightly more aggressive and throws a few more kicks I think he will beat JBJ up even worse than he did in the first fight.

If Rumble faces JBJ he has to literally get in JBJ's face right off the bat or he"ll be picked apart. Jones doesn't have good hands. He relies on kicks 90% of the time.

People on Sherdog have ridiculously short memory spans. Rumble has nothing for Jones.

Koscheck got a RNC on Rumble! Imagine what Jones will do to him on the ground. Jones vs Rumble would be a massacre. Who would even pay money to watch that fight?

The Gus/Jones rematch is really the only Jones fight out there.

They need another term added, maybe a complimentary strike or something to that effect when talking about prodding strikes and power strikes for something truly intended to finish the fight. As it is, calling a leg kick and a head kick the same thing dilutes the whole point of even showing the stats.

It's even more complicated than that, tbh. How do we determine the actual worth of a leg kick? Strike-for-strike, a leg kick definitely is not as effective as punching someone in the face. What is worse, the leg kick often takes time to create an effect (as the leg begins to bruise and tighten). Jones' supposed oustriking of Gus is due primarily to leg kicks.

He also is perceived to have won the 5th round wholly on the grounds that Gus "looked more tired" despite the fact that Gus actually outlanded Jones in the 5th. Essentially Jones fans are left arguing against their own points. Either the volume of strikes don't matter, and thus Jones marginal statistic advantage is moot. Or total number of strikes are the key, and Jones thus lost the 5th round and the fight.

It's even more complicated than that, tbh. How do we determine the actual worth of a leg kick? Strike-for-strike, a leg kick definitely is not as effective as punching someone in the face. What is worse, the leg kick often takes time to create an effect (as the leg begins to bruise and tighten). Jones' supposed oustriking of Gus is due primarily to leg kicks.

He also is perceived to have won the 5th round wholly on the grounds that Gus "looked more tired" despite the fact that Gus actually outlanded Jones in the 5th. Essentially Jones fans are left arguing against their own points. Either the volume of strikes don't matter, and thus Jones marginal statistic advantage is moot. Or total number of strikes are the key, and Jones thus lost the 5th round and the fight.

You should start a thread in about 4 hours, its a interesting subject I never see discussed. But lunch is over and its back to work.

GOAT Jone's fight iq, reach, and heart is enough to gurantee the fight

Didn't Rumble suffer some damage from an eyepoke a long time ago?

Jones would be a terrible opponent for him.

Koscheck got a RNC on Rumble! Imagine what Jones will do to him on the ground. Jones vs Rumble would be a massacre. Who would even pay money to watch that fight?

The Gus/Jones rematch is really the only Jones fight out there.

Oh yeah? What was Robbie Lawler doing around the time Rumble fought Kos???? :D

I don't think rumble has great hand speed , I also think he isn't a technical striker but he is also heavy handed , powerful and fearless . I don't think he will get past Gus or would he jones . I think Gus is the biggest threat but will not beat jones . I don't see any 205ers beating jones.

Back