Would you think less of Glover if...

Richard Fannin

Hammer House Time
@Black
Reaction score
... during his title match, he focused on breaking Jones toe again? Like try to pin him to the cage and stomp his foot for a doctor stoppage. :icon_neut
Would you consider that "cheap", or "smart"?

... during his title match, he focused on breaking Jones toe again? Like try to pin him to the cage and stomp his foot for a doctor stoppage. :icon_neut
Would you consider that "cheap", or "smart"?

smart. Jones kicks above peoples knees to try and injure them. example: rampage.

I don't think its fair but whatever. Just like I didn't like Aldo kicking Chan Sung Jung's dislocated arm. If its in the rules its smart to use.

People would worship Glover as a deity.

If he did it to any fighter other than Jones, then yes, they'd criticize him.

I don't like the idea of trying to cause a major injury such as a break or dislocation on purpose. Jones may throw those knee kicks (which I really don't like), but I've yet to see anything about him injuring someone. As long as he doesn't kick someone's knee when they're standing straight up so it hyper extends, I doubt it could hurt anyone.

But beyond all that, no one wants to see a champ crowned due to some wacky toe injury.

Did he win?....if not it would be very un-gloverlike.

Thanks for your answers. I rewatched Jones vs Sonnen and Jones/gus the other day, and was still amazed by the fact that is Chael had been able to survive just a little longer, he would have created the greatest Sherdog Shitstorm of all times.
And in the Gus fight, Jones injured the same foot.
It made me wonder about JBJ's future...

But beyond all that, no one wants to see a champ crowned due to some wacky toe injury.
If it was not Jones, I would agree, but we are talking about the most disliked UFC champ since... maybe ever?
People would say it's karma, he constantly uses kicks to the knee that are very dangerous for his opponent's safety.
And the immense majority of fans/fighters felt that Gus won the title, so karma again...

If it were to happen (Glover making "break Jone's toe/foot" his goal), I wouldn't mind, like "Lost" pointed out it wouldn't be much different from KZ/Aldo, except Glover would know where to hit from the start.

Press against the cage, foot stomps, foot stomps, end of the round, doc ends the fight. Anti-climatic, but legit gameplan.

I wouldnt say a word if Glover managed to break Jones fingers. He wants to constantly put them in peoples face, their eyes...tough shit if they get broke by a punch.

I expect Glover to be worked over from the outside, with Jones avoiding any meaningful exchanges in the pocket and ultimately submitting Glover once he's wore down enough to be much less of a threat than he would be otherwise in the opening rounds.

See the Rampage fight for how this will likely look. Anything can happen out there, we'll see.

I wouldnt say a word if Glover managed to break Jones fingers. He wants to constantly put them in peoples face, their eyes...tough shit if they get broke by a punch.

This. I hate they the refs allow him to do this, it totally throw Rampage off because coming forward meant taking a finger to the eye.

I expect Glover to be worked over from the outside, with Jones avoiding any meaningful exchanges in the pocket and ultimately submitting Glover once he's wore down enough to be much less of a threat than he would be otherwise in the opening rounds.

See the Rampage fight for how this will likely look. Anything can happen out there, we'll see.

Sadly, me too, which is why I thought of this little scenario ^^'
But hey it's MMA, way crazier things than Glover beating Jones have happened.

Jones is annoying as hell with his fingers-in-your-face and kicks-to-the-knees.
Smash his toe Glover! Surprise, advantage, etc...

If Glover can actually focus his attacks on a single toe and succeed, he is a master of modern martial arts. Chances are he can't, and this is a ridiculous thread.

You know, I'm generally in agreement with you about the early rounds, but I'd say Jones will hunt with his elbows, knees and kicks for finishes in the late rounds.

I don't like the idea of trying to cause a major injury such as a break or dislocation on purpose. Jones may throw those knee kicks (which I really don't like), but I've yet to see anything about him injuring someone. As long as he doesn't kick someone's knee when they're standing straight up so it hyper extends, I doubt it could hurt anyone.

Except, he did hyper extend Rampage's knee. I think Rampage had knee surgery shortly after the title fight but I'm not sure if it was related.

coming forward meant taking a finger to the eye.

This should be pointed out whenever someone calls him an elite striker.
He obviously use elbows well, but his "boxing" essentially involves a series of attempted eye pokes.

Wow. Jones is really driving some of you over the deep end. Anyway, i'm sure Jones is well aware of such possibilities.

If Glover can actually focus his attacks on a single toe and succeed, he is a master of modern martial arts. Chances are he can't, and this is a ridiculous thread.

Pretty much this. Very small target.

Back