Would you sell for someone under 200 lbs?

Are you being serious?

That's from a Tully Blanchard shoot interview I have on DVD, if you're referring to the part about you cannot lose a fight in public with anyone. He said "It's show business but it's hard show business. I stopped defending wrestling sometime in the early 80s but I still defended me. I said come sit in the front row and tell me that when I punch someone that it doesn't connect or that when they hit me that I don't really get hit. Of course I was wrestling guys like Wahoo, Ronnie Garvin, and Magnum."

Bill Watts had to fire a guy when he lost a fight in public. He said to the wrestler "Let me look at your hands." He could tell the guy hadn't landed a decent punch and Watts told him: It looks like you were a catcher, not a pitcher.

Terry Funk talked about when he was about 5 years old, he and Dory Jr. were at a restaurant and they were sitting at a different table than their parents. A guy walked up to Terry and said "Wrestling is fake isn't it? Come on, you can tell me." So he told his dad and his dad beat the guy into a bloody mess right there in front of him and the whole restaurant.

And yes, Baby Doll actually beat up a Marine.

That's from a Tully Blanchard shoot interview I have on DVD, if you're referring to the part about you cannot lose a fight in public with anyone. He said "It's show business but it's hard show business. I stopped defending wrestling sometime in the early 80s but I still defended me. I said come sit in the front row and tell me that when I punch someone that it doesn't connect or that when they hit me that I don't really get hit. Of course I was wrestling guys like Wahoo, Ronnie Garvin, and Magnum."

Bill Watts had to fire a guy when he lost a fight in public. He said to the wrestler "Let me look at your hands." He could tell the guy hadn't landed a decent punch and Watts told him: It looks like you were a catcher, not a pitcher.

Terry Funk talked about when he was about 5 years old, he and Dory Jr. were at a restaurant and they were sitting at a different table than their parents. A guy walked up to Terry and said "Wrestling is fake isn't it? Come on, you can tell me." So he told his dad and his dad beat the guy into a bloody mess right there in front of him and the whole restaurant.

And yes, Baby Doll actually beat up a Marine.

No I know those stories, I'm saying from the perspective that promoters even have a choice on the weight classes in wrestling. There isnt enough talent and the weight classes just make it shitty for everyone.

No I know those stories, I'm saying from the perspective that promoters even have a choice on the weight classes in wrestling. There isnt enough talent and the weight classes just make it shitty for everyone.

Regarding that, I realize that there is a shortage of talent (how many people would want to get int wrestling with the state the business is in these days?) I know they have guys under 180 wrestling 250 pound guys but do I agree with it? No, it makes no sense unless it's a jobber whose only matches are ones where he gets squashed. They have some small jobbers to make the big guys look even bigger, but as far as main eventers, guys like Ricky Morton are rare and even he was probably bigger than 180 pounds.

Dory Funk Sr. was a light heavyweight. Back then it was so different though. In the areas where the Amarillo promotion went to people thought the heavyweights were mostly fat, slow guys and the light heavyweight division was where the exciting wrestlers to watch were.

It's stiill the individual's call; Bruiser Brody wouldn't even sell for Luger who get so scared Brody was about to start shooting that he climbed out of the cage and ran to the backstage area. Despite not selling for people promoters might have wanted him to sell for, Brody still made a ton of money because the fans loved toms him wrestle. Having Brody on the card always meant they'd sell a lot more tickets than without him.
And then he died on the floor of a Puerto Rican bathroom because he made the wrong guy look bad.

That was 30 years ago. Maybe...just maybe...one or two thing about the business have changed.

Last edited:
And then he died on the floor of a Puerto Rican bathroom because he made the wrong guy look bad.

That was 30 years ago. Maybe...just maybe...one or two thing about the business have changed.

"Maybe"? Why aren't you sure? The business always changed; it's always been a cyclical business. Right now the style the public wants is shoot matches. It's gone back to something much closer to what pro wrestling was in the 1800s and early 1900s than to what it was in the 1980s. That's why The UFC is making the money it is, why The UFC section of this site is the size it is and this section of the site is the size it is.

Selling isn't a part of the style of pro wrestling The UFC and its imitators are presenting so the question "Would you sell for someone under 200 pounds" is a hypothetical question. I answered it in a hypothetical way. If the style of wrestling that guys like Tully Blanchard and Bruiser Brody did were still a thriving business like it was in the 1980s, then no, in general it wouldn't make sense to sell for someone that small. There were exceptions, like Ricky Morton, but even he sold during the majority of his matches. His opponent would have to sell for him during his comeback, but the rest of the time, Ricky Morton would be the one doing the selling and that's how he got over. Usually, wrestlers that small were only used in squash matches where they'd be the ones doing all the selling.

Last edited:
I gotta be honest, I don't feel right selling for people smaller than me. I think I have a 180 limit. Every time I've wrestled a smaller dude I've done the David vs Goliath match and I can't see it changing any time soon. These geeks gotta know their place.
Everyone has a price.

You have to sell. But you have to be smart about it.

For example, I don't know how much you weigh, but I'm going around 270lbs right now, if a guy who is 180lbs wants me to bump off a shoulder tackle, then no, he can get fucked. However, if he throws a dropkick, then stumble into the ropes, and take a powder to the outside.

Think about it this way, The Undertaker sold for Rey Mysterio.

Like a smart man once said

"Do the job or find a new one."

I gotta be honest, I don't feel right selling for people smaller than me. I think I have a 180 limit. Every time I've wrestled a smaller dude I've done the David vs Goliath match and I can't see it changing any time soon. These geeks gotta know their place.
Watch this

why The UFC section of this site is the size it is and this section of the site is the size it is.

Crazy to think the MMA forum on a MMA website is bigger than the Pro Wrestling sub section.

Is Tim Kennedy bigger than a prime hbk? Its been said hbk was only 5'10 185 while Tim is the same height but said to walk around at 225?

Yes absolutely. It's why you tailor the match to have it make sense why the smaller guy would be getting the upper hand.

TS at his local HS gym

giphy.gif
RIP

1224DA30-A6A4-4786-949A-54DCE3776E84.jpeg
Unless you're over 250 lbs and over 6' 5"....you better sell ya mark.

I’m 6’3 and 245 lbs ..... it would depend on the guy and how believable his moves are .... a 200 lbs dude could fuck someone up .... so find it odd you wouldn’t sell

Back