Would you pick Romero against a prime Anderson Silva?

Prime anderson KO's him in first round.. anderson usually finishes good strikers quickly and plays with the others in his prime.

These threads seem to be popping up pretty frequently of late. I'd take prime Anderson Silva from 2009 to 2009 over any middleweight ever.

Even.....*gulp*...

kelvin-gastelum-ufc-188-postfight.jpg

Romero has better standup??!!
Sure...
He's such a k-1 level striker indeed<{cruzshake}>

You mean than Jones or Anderson? I ddint say either of those but relative to Jones he does clearly have more finishing ability albeit also more vulnerability. Relative to Anderson I would actually say Romero has beaten superior strikers in Weidman and Machida although has again shown vulnerability as well.

The reality is Anderson never really faced the very highest level of striking and dispite all the matrix hype always looked hittable against opponents who weren't panicing throwing terrible standup like Forrest, Add in the threat of the takedown and I could definitely see Romero KOing him just as I could see the reverse.

One thing I would say is that I think even if age wasn't an issue Romero wouldn't be able to build an undefeated run as good as Silva. There was a lack of abiolsute top level comp in that run but still there were obviously a lot of guys who were a threat and I'd geuss at some stage he'd get caught or gas.

Romero got wobbled by Tim fucking Kennedy. Prime roided Silva finished him in grand fashion.

This is what I am thinking Silva with like a few weeks notice manage to survive Cormier for 3 rounds in a 5 round fight Romero could get really tired and get tagged bad.

More like a few hours notice.

Wouldnt count Anderson out. Especially in a 5 round fight. But I slightly favor Romero. His wrestling is too insane. At least if we're going by the weidman and Machida fights. On a side note how can anyone like Yoel Romero? This guy cheats any way he can from the water incident to the fence grabbing or stool incident. He literally pissed/shit himself in the octagon. He is obviously on some good shit and popped for tainted supplements. He's a total scum bag

Prime Romero had competitive fights/had to cheat against Brunson, Kennedy, Jacare, and Weidman.

Prime Andy KOs him within 3 rounds.

No. Not even if he could use the stool. Not even if he could use the stool to hit AS.

Prime anderson fucks him and every other mw up except for weidman. I think weidman was/is simply a bad matchup for anderson. Great wrestling, Great jits and good enough striking, along with size, power and good fight iq.

I think the current top 5 could beat Anderson in his prime. Look at what mediocre Chael did with his wrestling and I said for the longest time Chael would take him down almost at will. I was there live when Chael lost in the end. The place absolutely exploded. I never watched the fight on video. I was actually texting a buddy that he owes me $40 and all of sudden I look up and Chael was in big trouble. I was pissed to be honest lol.

If the MWs at andersons time had the wrestling/submissions of the current MW division. I don't think he reigns as long as he did. I believe him and Jacare are good friends, so that probably never happens.

Probably, depends on if he fights smart. He could take Silva down in his sleep and wrestle fuck/GnP him pretty easy.

If he strikes too much Silva could definitely catch him and TKO him though.

I'd have Romero 60/40 favorite.

People like to talk about prime Silva, but his TDD vastly improved after the first Chael fight. Silva might have been physically prime around 2010 but his TDD was pretty bad. I actually think he was at his best shortly after the first Chael fight when he improved his TDD. Weidman knocked him out of his prime though.

Prime-non clowning Anderson takes on anyone at MW.

Again I think a big issue is not just these typical "vs" arguments but also a fighters potential to build a winning run long term. This for me is actually Andersons main achievement, the level of comp he was fighting was lower than today IMHO BUT he still beat that comp consistently for years and recovered from several bad situations rather than folding.

Silva vs Sonnen 1 was in his prime and got exposed hard by a lesser wrestler/athlete

Back