• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Would you have believed me if I told you

Yes? History has shown fighters rarely escape this sport in one piece. Fighters get old. Fighters lose fights. Fighters refuse to hang them up.

If you told me they were fighting to and through ages 40/44 and serious injuries, and in the case of Silva semi-top talent...it wouldn't be the craziest thing. Silva has looked reasonably competitive, all things considered.

BJ's mold of an athlete is particularly ripe to take monsterous nosedives once their pure physical ability starts to leave them. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

Yes I would have believed it. I was actively on here saying GSP would smash BJ the second time around. Maybe a few days after the fight there was an interview with BJ (I think he was back home at this point) and he talked about how badly he got concussed and the guy was green like Kermit the frog from the trauma induced vertigo. I mean this guy was as bad as you have seen a fighter after a fight....even worse because it wasn't cosmetic damage.

It was one of those reminders that made you say "oh yea...mma is not a sport, it's can be some fucked up levels of violence too."......He looked more like a car accident victim than someone who just lost at a "sport".

Even his personality impulsiveness seems to be related. I don't know if those domestic violence and drug use accusations would be around if BJ Penn didn't have CTE, at least in part due to the fight with George.

Ironically the pissing and moaning about the grease in the fight probably was terrible for him physically. He needed to be resting and reducing brain inflammation not getting anxiety and causing more brain inflammation.

All that aside? BJ has always been talent. And hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard. That's the story of his career.

I would have called you an idiot, ts. I would have thought as his reflexes slowed, BJ would have relied on his BJJ game more.

TS, you are spot on

Would you have believed me if I had told you in 2009 that BJ Penn would come to hold the record for the most consecutive losses in UFC history with 7

Yes, he has a tremendous just bleed spirit, takes the most risky fights, and is lazy as fuck -- meaning he won't age well. And has a name the UFC won't cut if they can't convince him to stop. It was always going to be BJ's record for the history books.

and Anderson Silva was 1-6 of his last 7?
No. I thought he'd quit fighting because he seemed to not give a fuck about fighting in fights like the Leites & Maia fights. The guys who hang on too long for their own health are usually the just bleed guys.

Would you have believed me if I had told you in 2009 that BJ Penn would come to hold the record for the most consecutive losses in UFC history with 7 and Anderson Silva was 1-6 of his last 7?

This was the year that BJ Penn violently abused Diego Sanchez & Anderson Silva put on one of the most embarrassing displays of domination against Forrest Griffin while fighting up a weight class.

MMA is a crazy sport.

It's not crazy sport, it's just about fighters don't let it go when they don't got it anymore
Fedor is another that was visibly performing below his prime/normal self well before fight Werdum

GSP retired smart

I'm not too sure about that...

fighting-ugly-rocky-marciano.jpg
No USADA in boxing.

I easily would have believed you. Both need to stop fighting as of years ago.

If I told you in 1993 that Michael jordan would be a crappy player for the Wizards in 2003 would you have believed me?
He still averaged 20+ points per game. That's more than most NBA players.

Would you have believed me if I told you that Ken Shamrock wouldn't have been able to beat Tito Ortiz into the living dead back when Tito got choked out by Gay Mezger?
I fully expected Tito's hair to be knocked black.

Would you have believed me if I had told you in 2009 that BJ Penn would come to hold the record for the most consecutive losses in UFC history with 7 and Anderson Silva was 1-6 of his last 7?

This was the year that BJ Penn violently abused Diego Sanchez & Anderson Silva put on one of the most embarrassing displays of domination against Forrest Griffin while fighting up a weight class.

MMA is a crazy sport.
You could agrue that Silva lost to Brunson as well (I for sure thought he lost. To me it wasn't even that close.) Difference being Silva is fighting against elite guys (aside from his recent fight). The UFC seems to be giving him names that SHOULD be winnable but clearly he is a shell of what he once was. Mentally and physically.

I easily would have believed you. Both need to stop fighting as of years ago.

If I told you in 1993 that Michael jordan would be a crappy player for the Wizards in 2003 would you have believed me?
That's a myth. MJ was 39 and still averaged 20 points on 45% shooting, 6 rebounds, and 4 assists. Those are still borderline all star numbers.

That being said, to TS' point, the surprise isn't that BJ and Anderson are terrible; the surprise is that they're still fighting. If you told us 10 years ago that they'd still be fighting in 2019, most of us would have thought they'd be awful.

I don't expect any fighter to do well in his 40's. A few do. With Penn in particular he was never a guy you could expect a certain path from. Wins or loses at LW - challenges top WW's, MW's and LHW's. Later drops down to LW again, then moves up to WW again, then drops to FW, and back to LW again. Him fighting 10 years from now wouldn't surprise me.

I'm not too sure about that...

fighting-ugly-rocky-marciano.jpg

Mayweather conned boxing and conor into being his 50th win so he could be like marciano ..

Marciano fought hw, Marciano is the real GOAT. And could very well be father time

What if I told you back in 1993 that one half of the Hollywood Blonds would become the face of the wwe universe

In 2009, Mark Coleman had the fight of his life against Stephan Bonnar after getting massacred by Shogun, who was himself already looking shopworn. The unbeatable Wanderlei Silva lost his fifth fight in six. Ken Shamrock beat Ross Clifton (?!) to snap a 5-fight losing streak, including Robert Berry (?!). Mark Kerr retired having lost 10 of his last 12. Don Frye had, years prior, barely got by Akebono and was fighting for Shark Fights. Kazushi Sakuraba had lost to Kiyoshi Tamura. Why in the world wouldn't I have believed you?

can't count it against BJ now, his head is not right anymore

Would you have believed me if I told you that Ken Shamrock wouldn't have been able to beat Tito Ortiz into the living dead back when Tito got choked out by Gay Mezger?
Would you have believed Ken would lose to Kimbo?

Back