Would ufc/bellator benefit from a masters division on prelim based tv?

DrPerfect

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
How nice would it be to see a masters division in ufc, i know dan severn has been banging on about it for a long time now and ufc dont seem to want to entertain it.

but would you tune in to the prelims to watch something along the lines of mark coleman fighting ken shamrock. People put these irrelevent match ups on at small promotions and it doesnt really catch peoples eyes whatever the result but if ufc made the league to make it worth at least something, no doubt people would watch the fight and have something to say if it be bad or worse. bit of knowledge from joe rogan and goldie for the casual fan and not on the ppv card as it could cause more harm than its worth. (sayingthat if they gt royce a fight with any of them we all know that would be on the ppv card)

would you pay for it ?

As for bellator they will sign any old washout so this could be right down their street

debate

No I would not pay for it, I probably wouldn't even watch if it was free.

I'd watch it if they made them wear headgear and pads.

It'd be cool to see the legends compete again but I don't want them to destroy their bodies anymore than they already have.

Bellator and WSOF already have their 'UFC master's divisions' - with guys too old to compete in the UFC.

No thanks. I don't need to watch grandparents fight.

I'd watch I guess, but I wouldn't want them doing any more damage to their bodies.

Wouldn't support at all though.

I wouldn't want to see randy,Coleman,seven or any other legends punish their body's further,they have done enough to entertain us over the years.

There is a repeat cycle of this every time this comes up:

1. Fight between two past their prime guys is announced, fans get excited, talk about things like a seniors division.

2. Fight actually happens and everyone watches in horror as both or one of the fighters looks like total shit and everyone has to watch a middle aged person get beat up really bad. Calls for retirement are made by fans/media.

Repeat.

Coleman's last fight was cringe inducing, Shamrock's last few have been as well. Did you see Don Frye vs. Warpath? These types of fights are awful for showcasing MMA.

I'd watch it if they made them wear headgear and pads.

It'd be cool to see the legends compete again but I don't want them to destroy their bodies anymore than they already have.

This. Some of these guys are seriously banged up. I wouldn't want to watch them risk more injury for my own entertainment, regardless of how cool it might be to watch some of them fight again.

I wouldn't pay to see it but I'd be interested to see some old school guys throwing down.

What would make it awesome would be if they had the fights with old school rules... No rounds, etc.

Realistically though, if you are really a fan of these old legends, you should probably let them go rather than risk their health pounding on each other way past their prime... It would be very likely that someone gets seriously hurt.

Back