Would there be more talents in UFC if MMA was cheap like boxing?

Misanthropist

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
We know that boxing was able to produce large numbers of talents in the last few decades because they're dirt cheap and poor men used them as lottery ticket to escape poverty.

So, this got me wondering what UFC would be like today if MMA was cheap as boxing from the start?

MMA is cheap if you trained like Fedor. Maybe that's why we are getting an influx of Russian MMA talents

I think UFC pay needs to catch up to boxing to see more talent come in. Young black kids are looking at what Mayweather, Tyson, Ray Leonard, etc made. Young Mexican kids look at how Canelo lives.

All we hear from UFC fighters is how they're not happy with the pay. Why go into MMA when you know you can become the #1 P4P and not make a million dollars. You can be HW champ and still have to work a real job like Stipe, cleaning toilets at a fire station.

Jon Jones learned most of his moves from YouTube and getting his ass handed to him by Matt Riddle in wrestling competitions..

Fair point. MMA gyms aren't cheap.

Maybe, however the demographic that has no interest in rolling around on the ground with other men has significant overlap with the demographic that can't afford MMA.

I think UFC pay needs to catch up to boxing to see more talent come in. Young black kids are looking at what Mayweather, Tyson, Ray Leonard, etc made. Young Mexican kids look at how Canelo lives.

All we hear from UFC fighters is how they're not happy with the pay. Why go into MMA when you know you can become the #1 P4P and not make a million dollars. You can be HW champ and still have to work a real job like Stipe, cleaning toilets at a fire station.
Very succinctly put.

Back