Would The Chris give Jones a better fight than DC?

Modern

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I was disappointed after fight because I expected DC to do better. Do you think Weidman would give a better fight?

No way. What's Weidman gonna do that Gus and DC couldn't? Punch him in the face, take him down?

Is this genuine question? I dont think it is. :D

You can bet on it, TS. Weidman is well above them both at striking and his wrestling is even more versatile. His setups are better, his timing is better, his attacks are more varied, his footwork is phenomenal and superior to both of theirs and his intelligence is as high or better in the cage than Jon's.

Why do people not think that DC gave Jones a hell of a fight.

Round 1 was won because of the takedown,
Round 2 was DC's round
Round 3 seemed to be Jones for the 2-3 mins after the eye poke with DC taking the last moment.
Round 4 was all Jones but lets be honest he didn't do any real damage.
Round 5 Jones takes is by a slim margin cause he didn't really do anything but DC didn't do anything with the slam (even getting on top).

DC gave Jones a hell of a fight and even though he only one a round on each of the judges score cards he came very, very close to taking the belt tonight even though people shit on his performance. Let's be honest round 4 is the only thing people are thinking about.

Everyone on this forum is going to say no just because DC is bigger, but I think he would. Weidman is ridiculously elite at all levels of MMA and is way more talented than Cormier. He has KO power, excellent striking technique in general, amazing wrestling, and top tier BJJ. He's also a big MW.

These two will never fight though.

Maybe if he could maintain a tremendous pace over 5 rounds (and while Weidman doesn't have bad cardio by any means, I question whether it is exceptional), but I don't think Weidman has the size or the infighting ability to beat Jones. Would he do better than the majority of LHWs? Yeah, but I think he is simply too small to beat Jones considering how the skillsets clash.

No, no he couldn't TS.

You can bet on it, TS. Weidman is well above them both at striking and his wrestling is even more versatile. His setups are better, his timing is better, his attacks are more varied, his footwork is phenomenal and superior to both of theirs and his intelligence is as high or better in the cage than Jon's.

prepare to be shit on by jj nuthuggers

Why do people not think that DC gave Jones a hell of a fight.

Round 1 was won because of the takedown,
Round 2 was DC's round
Round 3 seemed to be Jones for the 2-3 mins after the eye poke with DC taking the last moment.
Round 4 was all Jones but lets be honest he didn't do any real damage.
Round 5 Jones takes is by a slim margin cause he didn't really do anything but DC didn't do anything with the slam (even getting on top).

DC gave Jones a hell of a fight and even though he only one a round on each of the judges score cards he came very, very close to taking the belt tonight even though people shit on his performance. Let's be honest round 4 is the only thing people are thinking about.

You're not wrong. Still, unless Cormier fought really strategically and did more to hustle the early rounds, I don't know if he has the gas tank to beat Jones. He undoubtedly gave him serious trouble, though. The fight was nothing remotely close to a domination and while Cormier did gas and do very little in rounds 4 and 5, Jones also slowed down dramatically and did little more (especially in round 5 where neither did much of anything).

This is a stupid question. Cormiers bigger, stronger, trains with a better camp and is a more qualified wrestler. If anybody really think Weidman has a shot at the LHW title they should slap themself.

Not sure he would and I love the Chris

Jones won clearly but not dominantly. I'm not sure Weidman could close the distance any better and I doubt he could do better in the wrestling than cormier

I think it would be a similar result. Chris wouldn't be hurt or completely dominated but he would lose

No way to know for sure unless the get out there though. The way Chris improves he might have the highest ceiling in MMA and could eventually overtake Jon

Jon does not need to fight another undersized fighter. Although, I bet he still hasn't forgiven him for knocking out his idol, Anderson.

Chris would have to win by KO and keeping it on the feet. Jones would not let himself be surprised by Weidman's grappling. He would be well prepared for it.

Jones would beat weidman easier than he beat sonnen

Back