Would most UFC fighters make more money fighting in Bellator and overseas?

chamcham

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Would many UFC fighters make more money fighting in Bellator and also taking matches in Asia on the side. Brandon Vera (UFC veteran), Roger Gracie, Ben Askren, and Bibiano Fernandes are now champions in ONE FC.

Angela Lee (ONE FC) makes more money than JJ and Cyborg.
Pacquiao has an ownership stake in ONE FC and more money is coming into MMA all over Asia.
Herb Dean referees matches for Road FC in Korea.

Rizin will put on a big show in September.
Seems like a good time to break free of Reebok and UFC if you can.

Some of the marketable mid tier guys probably would, if they could get decent sponsors. The lower tier guys are likely making a bit more in the UFC, and I doubt anyone but the UFC is paying out 1 million plus per fight for multiple fights for the top stars (though there are very few making that). I'm just guessing though.

Some yes others no. You have to be a big enough name to get some decent cash first, then have some packed schedule where your ass is fighting all over the world. But at the end of the day the UFC probably makes more millionaires than other MMA org.

Most? Fuck no. 0 of the champs, and not the lower tier fighters, but there might be a few UFC gatekeepers who could be champs in other orgs.

the guys at the top would take a pay cut but the guys from the middle to the bottom would make more in sponsorship money.

No one on this forum knows.

Have at it though, MMA economists.

Well, if you're one of those who believes disclosed pay is actual pay . . .

Bellator 154: Davis vs. King Mo Fighter Salaries

Phil Davis: $30,000 (no win bonus) def. Muhammed “King Mo” Lawal: $30,000
Saad Awad: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus) def. Evangelista “Cyborg” Santos: $17,000
Josh San Diego: $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus) def. Jeremiah Labiano: $2,500
Adam Piccolotti: $20,000 (includes $10,000 win bonus) def. Ray Wood: $6,000
Andre Fialho: $12,000 (includes $6,000 win bonus) def. Rick Reger: $4,000
Sam Spengler: $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus) def. Doyle Childs: $1,000
JD Hardwick: $5,000 (includes $2,500 win bonus) def. Jorge Acosta: $2,500
Jamielene Nievara: $2,000 (includes $1,000 win bonus) def. Stephanie Frausto: $1,500
Mark Dickman: $18,000 (includes $9,000 win bonus) def. Thomas Diagne: $3,000
Danasabe Mohammed: $2,000 (includes $1,000 win bonus) def. Martin Sano: $2,000
Josh Paiva: $3,000 (includes $1,500 win bonus) def. Steve Gruber: $1,000
James Chapman: $2,000 (includes $1,000 win bonus) def. Sean Tucker: $1,000
Anthony Taylor: $2,000 (includes $1,000 win bonus) def. Victor Jones: $1,000

The answer is a big fat fucking "NO"

Makes the 8k/8K look generous

what does Ben Askren get to fight ?

Found it
six fight contract with ONE FC is 50K Show/50K Win

Last edited:
the guys at the top would take a pay cut but the guys from the middle to the bottom would make more in sponsorship money.

I don't think the bottom guys would make more sponsorship money in other orgs. With Reebok they get a good cut. Not many sponsors are going to pay top dollar for a nameless fighter in a minor org.

We would have to know the pay difference between having sponsors as opposed to having just reecock.

Overall? Nope. The top fighters in the UFC get PPV points. Brock is supposed to get 8 MILLION bucks for his PPV points from UFC 200. The only ones who might make more are the fighters that are already on their way out. The UFC is still the top dawg and it's where all the truly relevant fighters still want to be.

what does Ben Askren get to fight ?

Found it
six fight contract with ONE FC is 50K Show/50K Win
Apparently, Ben Askren signed a contract with ONE FC that will net him just shy of a million dollars over two years.
SOURCE: http://mmajunkie.com/2013/12/ben-as...ts-bald-headed-fat-man-ufc-future-baroni-more

I would think that there are lots of wealthy Chinese investors these days that might be interested in an ownership stake in up and coming MMA organizations.

Obviously, main attractions like Conor, Ronda, and others are better off in the UFC.
I was mainly thinking of gatekeepers, mid-tier, and low-tier fighters.
Also, IIRC, Bellator fighters have more freedom with sponsorships.

Last edited:
I read that article and something is a bit off with Askren's claim. He says he will get just shy of a million in two years, then he says he will net over 6 figures in the next fight.... maybe he is talking in terms of Chinese Yuan.
How is that off? if he makes 200k/fight with 3 fights a year, he'll get 1.2 million in 2 years. So low 6 figures per fight and just under 1 million for the whole contract makes sense.

I don't think the bottom guys would make more sponsorship money in other orgs. With Reebok they get a good cut. Not many sponsors are going to pay top dollar for a nameless fighter in a minor org.
Guys like Mitrione and Bendo might have enough name recognition to get more than the $10-25k they'd get from Reebok though. But I'd agree that the guys on the Bellator prelims likely aren't making much.

How is that off? if he makes 200k/fight with 3 fights a year, he'll get 1.2 million in 2 years. So low 6 figures per fight and just under 1 million for the whole contract makes sense.

Because more than 6 figures is 7 figures

Back