Elections Would getting rid of primaries hurt or help the U.S.?

blaseblah

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The way elections currently work is that there is a preliminary election for both the Democratic and Republican party where a candidate is chosen to represent the party's interests. Do you think getting rid of this would be a net positive or negative benefit on the country? Right now it seems like this is largely used for each party's establishment to exert an undue amount of influence over who gets to be president.

What would the basis be for the gov't preventing private organizations from deciding who they want to represent them in elections? Like, where would that authority come from? Certainly not in the Constitution anywhere.

What would the basis be for the gov't preventing private organizations from deciding who they want to represent them in elections?

Lmao another right wing talking point from our resident neoliberal.

Lmao another right wing talking point from our resident neoliberal.

Support for civil liberties is actually not right-wing, and you really should look up "talking point," as you use it in a bizarre way. The rightist approach would be to ban private organizations from making that decision.

It's basically a mini election for the party to decide who their candidate will be. I'm fine with it. The issue for me is the actual voting. All voting should be ranked choice so you don't waste your vote.

I don’t see how else you figure who would run for president , for your party? Now can we do it a different way, probably, would it be better maybe.

I don’t see how else you figure who would run for president , for your party? Now can we do it a different way, probably, would it be better maybe.

Most parties just pick it without an election, I believe. But the idea that the gov't can just dictate to organizations that they're not allowed to select who runs with their name is crazily tyrannical.

I feel our election cycle is too long

Democrat and Republican party leaders on the ballot are chosen by like August of election year, then the election is early November. That is a fine time line for campaigning. All Primary voting should be done in like May and June, then choose each parties leader by end of July.

Also maybe adopt the run off or whatever Canada does that allows other parties to exist but that the largest usually needs to enter into coalition with a smaller party.

But Having the Primaries be from like January and go till Middle of June or even July is just not necessary.

The way elections currently work is that there is a preliminary election for both the Democratic and Republican party where a candidate is chosen to represent the party's interests. Do you think getting rid of this would be a net positive or negative benefit on the country? Right now it seems like this is largely used for each party's establishment to exert an undue amount of influence over who gets to be president.

True but it does not need to last 6 months. People start declarining they will run 1.5 year before the election but the primaries start and last for like 6 or 7 months.

True but it does not need to last 6 months. People start declarining they will run 1.5 year before the election but the primaries start and last for like 6 or 7 months.
For sure it should be way shorter, but that’s also kind of a media problem.

Support for civil liberties is actually not right-wing, and you really should look up "talking point," as you use it in a bizarre way. The rightist approach would be to ban private organizations from making that decision.

Because the DNC and RNC's right to control who gets to run for president clearly needs to be protected. Civil liberties! And if you hate America you should leave. lol just admit you're a right winger. A Clinton democrat who hasn't figured out they aren't on the left yet.

I feel our election cycle is too long

Democrat and Republican party leaders on the ballot are chosen by like August of election year, then the election is early November. That is a fine time line for campaigning. All Primary voting should be done in like May and June, then choose each parties leader by end of July.

Also maybe adopt the run off or whatever Canada does that allows other parties to exist but that the largest usually needs to enter into coalition with a smaller party.

But Having the Primaries be from like January and go till Middle of June or even July is just not necessary.

It’s exciting. It’s like a sports season. It allows for time and media action to get voters interested.

Your idea is ok, but it would severely affect voter turnout.

Because the DNC and RNC's right to control who gets to run for president clearly needs to be protected. Civil liberties! And if you hate America you should leave. lol just admit you're a right winger. A Clinton democrat who hasn't figured out they aren't on the left yet.

Everyone gets to run for president (and any other office). If you want to run as the representative of a party, you have to somehow get selected by that party to represent you. The gov't forcing that kind of thing would clearly be an attack on civil liberties. And the gov't has no legal authority to make that call. If you think it's OK to attack America, you shouldn't stay there. You disagree with that? Did you celebrate after 9/11?

For sure it should be way shorter, but that’s also kind of a media problem.

It is a DNC and RNC issue as well. They can suggest or have states pressure to change when to hold a primary by.

It’s exciting. It’s like a sports season. It allows for time and media action to get voters interested.

Your idea is ok, but it would severely affect voter turnout.

People will get used to it eventually. I think the reason Primaries have low turnout in general is because how long it all is and people forget. If it was all done within 1 month more people may show up

Get rid of them? No. But.....

August: all states have their primaries/caucuses on the same day.

September: parties solidify their platform and have their convention.

November: General election Day

Back