Would beterbievs power carry through heavyweight?

iwannabeadored

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Hypothetical question, and I ask because he fought usyk in the amateurs. Would berbetiev power continue to heavyweight if he moved up?

i doubt he has the durability for heavyweight but just pure power for power can he hit as hard as some of the heavyweights

Last edited:
He barely needs to touch guys at LHW to hurt them so it's possible. We've had middleweights win world titles at heavyweight. Did you ever see Roy against John Ruiz? He buzzed Ruiz in that fight and he started at JMW.

Probably, he has that career finishing power

I watched this the other day and Lonnie is a pretty funny dude. In a nutshell no one’s beating beterbiev in his opinion, ever. And it looks like he’s making a comeback, and he’ll fight anyone, except beterbiev!

Dan azeez also has some amusing tales of sparring with beterbiev. The team of sparring partners would literally get their heads together before the session and come up with a plan of how to break him down. Everyone had their job, and no one wanted the first round against him. They all took a battering!

Last edited:
No because physical punching power is only one aspect of heavyweight boxing and it carrying through weight classes.

Look at Gassiev and he jumped from just cruiserweight.

I think he's too small for Heavyweight and we will never really know since he's about to be 39 anyways.

Would his power carry? Yes. Should he go to HW? No. LHW is perfect for him, and if he wants to challenge himself before he retires, assuming he gets past Bivol, then he can try his luck at CW.

No because physical punching power is only one aspect of heavyweight boxing and it carrying through weight classes.

Gassiev was the name I was thinking of when people talk about Beterbiev at HW. He is just too small.

HWs not realistic. He’d be a really small CW. Opetaia vs beterbiev would be good and I don’t think there would be much difference in size either

i like him staying at 175. he seems built for the weight.

but as far as sparring horror stories go... he could probably hurt anyone, at any weight.

He could pick and choose fights at heavy. 200lbs vs usyk could be a gimmick fight

Gassiev still has good power he just has nothing else. He's not at all the same guy as he was at cruiserweight. He looks like he aged 15 years between his last fight at cruiser and his first at hw. He looks like he stopped taking his supplements if you know what I mean

I never said him to fight there. He’s get koed badly. Just saying could he hurt heavyweights

He barely needs to touch guys at LHW to hurt them so it's possible. We've had middleweights win world titles at heavyweight. Did you ever see Roy against John Ruiz? He buzzed Ruiz in that fight and he started at JMW.

True. But Roy had speed to land.

True. But Roy had speed to land.
Beterbiev is deceptively quick. He was able to cut the distance immediately last night against a solid guy that was 4 or 5 inches taller and had around a half foot in reach. Was literally outjabbing the guy in the center of the ring.

No. But the question is whether his chin would hold up at HW, which of course, it wouldn't.

No. But the question is whether his chin would hold up at HW, which of course, it wouldn't.
The guy you just called a "massive puncher" couldn't even tickle him. There's no telling how his power or chin would look against these heavyweights because he's never fought there.

The guy you just called a "massive puncher" couldn't even tickle him. There's no telling how his power or chin would look against these heavyweights because he's never fought there.

Following me around eh? HW is two divisions up from 175. They're huge men with huge power. Even the bums are terrifying. Although they're no Stefani Koykovs, that's for sure.

Following me around eh? HW is two divisions up from 175. They're huge men with huge power. Even the bums are terrifying. Although they're no Stefani Koykovs, that's for sure.
Even the bums are terrifying? LOL. I'll say it again. We've had middleweights and light heavyweights beat titleholders up there. Usyk, the reigning unified heavyweight champion, was dropped by Beterbiev in the amateurs. Beterbiev also holds a win over him there.

Even the bums are terrifying? LOL. I'll say it again. We've had middleweights and light heavyweights beat titleholders up there. Usyk, the reigning unified heavyweight champion, was dropped by Beterbiev in the amateurs. Beterbiev also holds a win over him there.

The bums are huge and hit much, much harder compared to what he's used to. Weight divisions exist for a reason. He wouldn't stand a chance against B-levels like Dubois, Bakole, Ajagbe.

There's a man at CW he should fight before any HW, anyway.

Back