Would an insiguri work in straight up MT or KB?

Marvin Covar

Amateur Fighter
@Brown
Reaction score
If for example you had achieved what-have-you status of flexibility and dexterity needed to perform the move realistically, do you think it would actually work?

What's insiguri...?

*edit*
From what I googled...it's a jumping roundhouse...sure that works...but it's telegraphed to hell...

From my WWF days I assume he means when someone catches your leg and you kick them in the head with the other planted leg.

I remember Ruslan Karaev tried this on Musashi a while back. It didn't work but it made for a pretty cool picture moment.

ruslanflyingmusashiwk6.jpg

From my WWF days I assume he means when someone catches your leg and you kick them in the head with the other planted leg.

Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. has anyone ever pulled that off outside pro wrestling? If it were possible to pull off, would it work?

Or, if you could pull it off, would you try it?

If the person who's got hold of the leg has even half a clue what he's doing then it wouldn't work.
If you've got hold of someones leg then you can controll their center of gravity, so they definitely shouldn't be able do anything like that.
Nice idea though

It will work in sparring or training maybe but it won't work in reality because when someone catches your leg for real they won't just stand there, they are moving to control you. Just like when someone actually clinches you vs. practicing knees in training.

But that won't stop me from trying this haha. I swear when I get my first fight, if I know I'm losing the match I will just go balls out with shit like this :)

Enzuigiri*. You can see Bart Vale throw one in this video ten seconds in:
YouTube - Professional Wrestling Fujiwaragumi #1 Trailer

Like, I've seen guys throw it quite a few times in shoot style pro wrestling matches (against resisting opponents, being as that it's shoot style), and sometimes they look like they could be feasable if you catch somebody unaware, but often they just whiff horribly. Honestly? I think it could potentially work, but it's way too random. It's not something you'd want to ever rely on even being able to throw, let alone connect with. And even if you do connect with a really clean enzuigiri, usually when your feet leave the ground you're sacrificing power, so I'd say the chances of being able to ever even score a knockdown on a clean hit would be pretty minimal.

Feb 16th is actually a little known and fairly recently created holiday called National Enzuigiri Day. Seriously. You celebrate it by hitting an enzuigiri on somebody, funnily enough. Mark it on your calenders.

If the person who's got hold of the leg has even half a clue what he's doing then it wouldn't work.
If you've got hold of someones leg then you can controll their center of gravity, so they definitely shouldn't be able do anything like that.
Nice idea though

agreed, i think in reality as soon as the other guy went to throw the kick all you'd have to do is either drop the leg to fuck up their spin or, even worse, push up and drive forwards and they'd end up right on their ass and/or head depending how hard you push :p

If you miss just fall down and pull guard.

There are few kicks I can not pull off within reason, but I do not forsee a point anytime ever that I leave my feet to attempt such a maneuver.

A spinning back kick is as fancy of a move as I would dream about doing in a real situation, and even then 99/100 times I wouldnt attempt it.

TS-

i've had personal experiences with this type of kick in sparring and tournaments.

i caught their teeps/low kicks, and they proceeded to try to vault themselves to dropkick me wwe style.

the problem with this like some others said in this thread is that it's telegraphed way before the move is actually pulled off.

also, when it's happened to me, the opponent used the leg i was holding as his base to pull off the kick. so as soon as i saw them jumping i let go of the leg, or pushed their leg back towards them midair, and they ate shit.

with that said, it's pretty impractical. unless you're really, really fast.

In FC Kickboxing it wouldn't. You're not allowed to grab/hold the leg IIRC.

Back