Worth it to buy "Ultra lite" Gi?

anaconda

Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
@Gold
Reaction score
Hey guys -

I've got some weight to lose for competition, and was wondering if its worth it to buy an ultra lite gi?

I'm looking at vulkan, probably the normal (non pre-shrunk) A4 or the pre-shrunk A3. I'm 6' about 233 so the chart says A4, but I'm not sure.

Do you guys think its worth it to get the "Ultra lite" gi? Is it really that much lighter? (I currently prefer an A3 Koral and love it, love the fit, everything - much more than my atamas).

Also, whats the cut like on the vulkans?

i recently bought a few of the vulkans, switching over from korals, mainly because i lost a bunch of weight and they simply dont fit. i prefer my vulkans over the koral and atama because of the fact that it feels like you're almost wearing nothing. the jacket is solid and light and the pants so are the pants. the material on the pants feels flimsy and cheap, but so far (3 months worth of 2 a day training) and constant washing of them, theyve held up pretty nicely. if you train in a gym that gets pretty hot i would recommend this gi.

this gi was 2.5 lbs lighter than my atama single weave. total weight of an a3 w/ belt is about 4.2 lbs.

this gi was 2.5 lbs lighter than my atama single weave. total weight of an a3 w/ belt is about 4.2 lbs.

so you're saying the Vulkan weighs 1.7 lbs? I find that very hard to believe. Even the site says its around 3 lbs.

A washed and dried vulkan A3 comes off the scale about 3.2lbs I think alaskajits is saying more that his atama single is about 6lbs

A washed and dried vulkan A3 comes off the scale about 3.2lbs I think alaskajits is saying more that his atama single is about 6lbs

aha, that makes more sense. it was ambiguous and I read it wrong. damn, I was excited about a < 2lbs gi :)

So you're saying an A3 vulkan + belt weighs about 4.2 lbs. My A3 Koral + belt weighs about 4.8-5.0 lbs.

On their website, JJPG says the Vulkan only weighs about 3.2, but I guess they could just be talking about the A2 or A1.

Are you sure about the weight? If its just 0.8 lbs I don't think I'd buy the Vulkan; I'd rather just get another Koral when I need a gi.

If you could do me a favor and double check I'd really appreciate it, thanks. Or if anyone else has a Vulkan they can weigh, preferably A3, I would be forever indebted to you. Muchos gracias.

So you're saying an A3 vulkan + belt weighs about 4.2 lbs. My A3 Koral + belt weighs about 4.8-5.0 lbs.

On their website, JJPG says the Vulkan only weighs about 3.2, but I guess they could just be talking about the A2 or A1.

Are you sure about the weight? If its just 0.8 lbs I don't think I'd buy the Vulkan; I'd rather just get another Koral when I need a gi.

If you could do me a favor and double check I'd really appreciate it, thanks. Or if anyone else has a Vulkan they can weigh, preferably A3, I would be forever indebted to you. Muchos gracias.

You are correct, there is only about 1/2 - 1lb difference between Koral and Vulkan. The difference use to be that Koral was pre-shrunk and Vulkan was shrink to fit. You can still get a few Vulkan that are shrink to fit but most of them are now pre-shrunk. They are made in the same factory, and Vulkan is cheaper, so take it for what its worth.

ttt for anyone with a vulkan, preferably A3, that can weigh it for me :)

Thanks.

old A3 shrink to fit Vulkan washed a bunch of times...

vulkantop.jpg

top weights just under 2.5 lbs

vulkantopbelt.jpg

and about 2.75 with belt

My pants has patches all over it so you wouldn't get a good gauge if I weighted that with it.

old A3 shrink to fit Vulkan washed a bunch of times...

vulkantop.jpg

top weights just under 2.5 lbs

vulkantopbelt.jpg

and about 2.75 with belt

My pants has patches all over it so you wouldn't get a good gauge if I weighted that with it.

well done sir.

~Foz

Awesome, thanks so much!

I thought no one would do it :(

Now if only we could do a chart of all the gis and their weights.

Seriously though, thanks legit. And congrats on the shiny new blue belt :)

So are you guys saying that koral and vulcan are almost exactly the same? How does the quality compare? I have a Howard Combat now (1st gi) and it feels like i'm rolling in body armor.

I've got Keiko Limited, Keiko Summer, and Koral MKM that I can add to the list.

vulkan is the way to go. I wear mine 3 times a week, washed and dried on high every time for 9 months and its in perfect condition.

ok thanks, and you guys said the sizes run a bit big right? I'm 5'6" 155 so i'd probably go with an A1 based on what you guys are saying.

I've got Keiko Limited, Keiko Summer, and Koral MKM that I can add to the list.

Awesome. I weighed my normal Koral A3 and severely shrunk Atama A3 (although that shouldnt affect the weight).

Koral Classic White gi top, pants + belt - 4.6-4.8 lbs

Atama Goldweave gi top, pants + belt - 5.0-5.2 lbs

Sorry about the vague weights, this is using my tanita digital scale that weighs in .2 increments. I basically weigh myself with and without the gi.

Back