• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Worth doing Muay Thai only once a week?

SteelFlex

White Belt
Reaction score
My school recently added muay thai for twice a week for an extra $45. Problem is, I can only make it once a week.. This is on top of the $190 I'm paying for unlimited BJJ... (I live in New York). I want to do it but don't know if it would be worth it.. Your thoughts?

holy sh** on a stick that is a lot for bjj. I would say no if money is an issue. if it isn't and the instruction is good then go for it. take some free trial classes to see if you like it. just ask and they will give you some free trial classes.

Once a week is better than nothing but it's not alot either. If you could practice what you learn on your own a couple times a week it would help to keep everything fresh for your next lesson.
If you can only train MT once a week make sure ready ready to get the most out of it mentally and physically.
As far as the price goes, thats up to you. Look at as $11 a class. Thats not too bad.

Good luck man.

I box once a week.

It is the only time/money I have available.

Just be ready to watch others in your class progress faster than you. If your ego can take that, then knock yourself out. (no pun intended)

Once a week is better than nothing but it's not alot either. If you could practice what you learn on your own a couple times a week it would help to keep everything fresh for your next lesson.
If you can only train MT once a week make sure ready ready to get the most out of it mentally and physically.
As far as the price goes, thats up to you. Look at as $11 a class. Thats not too bad.

Good luck man.

Agreed. Knowing some Muay Thai is better than none. As long as you enjoy it then it is worth it.

it's not neccessarily how many times a week you train that determines how effective your training is. sometimes 1X/week is better than 5X/week.

it's not neccessarily how many times a week you train that determines how effective your training is. sometimes 1X/week is better than 5X/week.

yup. once a week is good. your brain wouldn't even be able to process all the information with too much training. quality over quantity is my opinion. just consider the expenses.

Maybe I should get a heavy bag and spend some time to go over the techniques that I learned that week. That sound like a good idea?

Once you start training, you may want to train more than once a week. Combat sports are pretty addicting. Definitely ask for a price cut if you are going only once a week though.

Once you start training, you may want to train more than once a week. Combat sports are pretty addicting. Definitely ask for a price cut if you are going only once a week though.[/QUOTE]

This is what I did.

My coach was nice enough to drop the monthly fee by half.

Maybe I should get a heavy bag and spend some time to go over the techniques that I learned that week. That sound like a good idea?

That's a great idea! I had the same problem where I could only go twice a week so after a few months of being annoyed with not being able to go 3 or 4 times a week I decided to get a thai heavy bag in my garage. Now I still only go to the gym twice a week, sometimes 3 times on a good week, but I always get at least 2 days in at home too. Just use your time in the gym to learn and critique yourself and then go home and practice on the days you can't be in the gym.

you must go to a really awesome school to pay 190 a month for unlimited bjj... like everyone else is saying try to talk to the gym and see about a discount. I wouldn't pay 190 for both honestly

If its something you WANT to do, then why wouldn't it be worth it?

yea definatly if you get a bag at your house and just work on technique

Back