Worst score-cards where the right fighter won

Rvd Slmr

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
As a reminder of how unreliable judges are, there are some totally fucked-up score-cards than don't get talk about as much as they should, because in the end the right person won. But deep down, you know how bad it looks and how close we've been to a blatant robbery.

Felder vs RDA is the obvious most recent case, but I still can't believe Cyborg vs Holm was scored 49-46, 48-47 and 48-47 when Cyborg severely out-struck her both in volume and power in every single round and zero TD were attempted on either side.

All three judges gave Holm the second round, where she was out-struck 21 to 4 and didn't do anything outside of some wall'n'stall that lead to nothing. Her total striking accuracy was 19% during the fight, which means she kept missing and the judges somehow thought that her shitty punches landed.

Do you have other examples?

Just a random fight, but I remember Justin Ledet vs Zu Anyanwu a few years ago in UFC being one of the most one sided fights ever, Justin used Zu as a complete and utter punching bag, jabbed him to death and just won so easily, Zu was so slow and sloppy and didn't have much skill, but had a very good chin which was only because he was fat, so his chin held up

Anyways I was expecting 30-26 or something, and it ended in a split decision, Ledet won the decision but he was like WTF and all his commentators were like what, madness.

that fight comes to mind

Judges giving Justin Gaethje 1st rd of the Khabib fight.

Yeah I don't get that. He got both outstruck and outgrappled. You don't give a guy points for stuffing some takedowns.

That said, it's payback for him getting every round against Tibau scored for him.

Generally speakin´, you dont score a fight with pure stats. There must be a qualitative understandin´of each technical sequence.

Martin Kampman won a split decision over Rick Story, where the call for Story was so bad, that Dana afterwards said that the judges scores were tabulated incorrectly and it should have been announced as an unanimous decision win. He wasn't being goofy or defiant. Dana legit thought it was some sort of counting mistake and CSAC had to go out and contradict him, that it was indeed a split decision.

Joe Solis/Soliz, my vote for the consistently WORST judge ever, started his UFC career with this, a real easy 29-28, that he managed to fuck up.
kAOCzbb.png

And on his most recent card, where he famously gave Jon Jones 4 rounds over Reyes, he turned in an even WORSE scorecard for Giles-Krause. For anyone who doesn't remember that fight, it went like this.
  • Round 1: Krause (despite being a lightweight/welterweight filling in on a day's notice to take a large powerful middleweight on) used his superior technical skills grappling to take Giles back for about 4 of the 5 minutes of the round, Giles fighting off a rear naked choke the whole time.
  • Round 2: The power difference was on display in the striking, as Giles bullied Krause around and caught him with some hard shots.
  • Round 3: A pretty fifty-fifty round where you had to measure what you thought was more important. Giles was running out of steam but still had power, so he was landing some hard shots. Krause stayed cool and collected and controlled most of the striking, landing a lot with his clean exchanges.
So, it could honestly be a 29-28 either way. Despite liking Krause, I still think the right winner was picked, I edged it 29-28 for Giles at the time. And so did Joe Solis. So what's the problem? This douche scored round 3 for Krause. He scored round 1, the round where Giles was being threatened with a RNC for the ENTIRE ROUND, for Giles. You may think, "Oh these stupid boxing judges who don't understand grappling," but no, Joe Solis is a BJJ black belt. Wanna hear something funny? He got his black belt... from Giles' head coach, who he actually worked as an instructor under for 2 years.

This is what's holding MMA back.

MMA judging is legit a joke.
I was having this conversation with some boxing people after Lopez-Loma, but they're so jaded from repeated shitty scores that they don't care as long as the right guy won. It's too much of a non-issue to get upset about that, when their scores are ALWAYS so wrong, they save it for the robberies.

With how fucking corrupt scoring still is for boxing, despite it's many years and thinner window of offense to judge, I have little hope it'll change for MMA.

Generally speakin´, you dont score a fight with pure stats. There must be a qualitative understandin´of each technical sequence.

It was just an illustration that there was nothing in favour of Holm, no matter how you look at it. How do you win a round of pure stand-up if your opponent lands much more and harder, and you don't do anything special? It's not like she got a TD or a KD to steal the round.

1 judge gave Gunnar Nelson the fight against Rick Story after being dominated and dropped like a sac of potatos.

Back