worst instructor you ever had

Chris Cichy

Amateur Fighter
Joined
May 15, 2005
Messages
525
Reaction score
0
I don't want to name anybody, but my first instructor was such a tool, I almost quit training before I ever started. I had been taking a mma class for about 3 weeks, we emphasized MT and BJJ. Every friday there was full contact sparring if you wanted and many times the instructor would spar with(kick the crap out of) us. After the third week I wanted to spar but I was pretty tentative and who hopped in with me but the instructor. I had VERY little experience but I have really good hand speed and when he rushed at me I fired a jab and busted his nose pretty good. He was bleeding pretty bad and I was all apologetic. anyway he got completely pissed wanted to restart and proceded to beat the living crap out of me taking huge haymakers and then afterward talking shit the rest of the night about my lucky punch. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similiar shitty story.
 
Majesty197914 said:
I don't want to name anybody, but my first instructor was such a tool, I almost quit training before I ever started. I had been taking a mma class for about 3 weeks, we emphasized MT and BJJ. Every friday there was full contact sparring if you wanted and many times the instructor would spar with(kick the crap out of) us. After the third week I wanted to spar but I was pretty tentative and who hopped in with me but the instructor. I had VERY little experience but I have really good hand speed and when he rushed at me I fired a jab and busted his nose pretty good. He was bleeding pretty bad and I was all apologetic. anyway he got completely pissed wanted to restart and proceded to beat the living crap out of me taking huge haymakers and then afterward talking shit the rest of the night about my lucky punch. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similiar shitty story.

wow that is a rough experience. Maybe you left somethign out that pissed him off and for good reasoning? or maybe he was just a dick.

I can honestly say that both of my instructors that ive had have been pretty nice guys and cool shit and i liked them both. THe instructor i have now is the shit and i look up to him greatly with a ton of respect, and he has beaten the piss outta me a many of times...but its all in good fun.
 
The worst I ever had was a teacher who beat the shit out of me and other students everytime we sparred.

Sparring imo is not beating the shit out of your students or against eachother, it's still a way to use your techniqeus with some power and try to use them. But everytime we sparred and I hit him with good kick, he got mad and just tried to avange his anger on us. Maybe he wanted to show his students that he could fight, well then show it in competition against others.

Anyway after a week full of bruises I quit and looked for another sport, thaiboxing and had a great time. The sparring was also hard but atleast with protection and some wareness for eachother !

I also had worse instructors in my TKD carreer were a kid (me 18-16) learned me a poomse lmao I didn't liked that shit bc I was doing longer TKD then him and he was learning me how to walk a poomse or kata in japanese lol

Also one time had a "teacher" just a higher belt then BB 1dan who was giving sparring lessons and never fought before, I kicked his ass in sparring lool

Well this TKD gym was Mcdojo gym but the other two TKD gyms I was were good ones but you have some weird dojo's for sure !!!

btw the first teacher I spoke, the worste one was karate based on semi, light and full contact rules something like American karate (WAKO organisation) or someting.
 
Wow, that sucks. It's people like that that give MA a bad name. I never had an instructor that bad, but there were a couple that seemed to like working us over a little too much. My current instructor is really cool, though. He spars with us and pushes us without having to prove that he could kick our butts. Trust me, I already know that!
 
My first instructor also hit me and the other students quite alot...I have one fond memory of being like 12 inside a class when he smacked me in the face with a roundhouse kick... Not fun.
At least I can take punches now.
 
Soulfly said:
My first instructor also hit me and the other students quite alot...I have one fond memory of being like 12 inside a class when he smacked me in the face with a roundhouse kick... Not fun.
At least I can take punches now.

LOL

You know I am not going to train to get back full of bruisses everytime, I am going to train to learn something.

I will go hard in competition and I try to beat the shit out of my oponents but not on training, that's not what training is all about !!!

I can take a punch too, I don't need to get my ass handed in a gym to take punches ;)


ps I bet this teacher got no students anymore over, I would bet on that !!!

btw I would like to go back just for one time but to beat his ass now I am more well aware of my power and technique. Beating your students from 11 a 16 yrs old isn't the right thing to do if you are 25 or something he was !!!
 
When I was a kid I took tkd for a month.. the teacher was an ego maniac but I was too young to recognize it then...
anyway one saturday i'm the biggest kid in the class but still I'm like 11 and weigh like 100lbs..2 girls in bikini tops and shorts come in and ask to watch the class.. he starts flirting with them and then tells me to hold a kicking pad....

I've never held 1 before or been shown how to do it, but I grab it and hold it in front of me. he does some kind of running jump back kick and knocks me about 5 feet in the air and onto my ass...Then he yells at me for not bracing myself and holding the pad properly...

I didn't stay there very long....
 
Been real lucky...I've had two instructors, both of them top-notch teachers and class acts as people.

Well, there were a couple assistant instructors I had when I trained at my last school; the owner was Korean and hooked a couple nephews/friends' kids from the old country up with jobs when they landed here from Korea. One guy, Master Nam, was apparently a former Seoul cop whose secondary specialization was working on the riot control squad...watch some footage of Korean cops controlling a rowdy protest and you get the idea who I'm dealing with. A truly bad motherfucker, and not a bad instructor per se, but pretty brutal (though to be fair, he was just teaching old school Korean style, the way he learned) and got worse as his limited English and our even more limited Korean got him frustrated.
 
My instructors have all been amazing I can't complain at all. Suppose I've been a bit lucky :)
 
when i was 8 yrs old i think, the instructor made me instruct the class up front..................that's right, an 8 yr old instrucing, w/ adults along w/ kids. I was always very mature and disciplined as a kid, i would show adults how to do the katas correctly while the other kids were runnin aorund hitting each other w/ the kicking paddles (my mom has old home videos of it, pretty hilarious to see some little shrimp show a big guy how to punch/kick). He always pushed me b/c he realized my potential, but i couldn't handle that and i quit (this was TKD by the way). My dad never really liked him and altho he hates quitters, he wasn't too mad when i left that class.
 
you know, now that I think about it, I wasn't even upset about him hitting me, shit I wanted to learn to fight and I really don't mind, It was the fact that he got so pissed that a 14 year old hit him, all ego
 
The time I spent in Shorin Ryu Karate.

They didn't know that they were bad though.
 
There are definitely no shortage of ego maniacs in martial arts. That is part of the reason so many people dance with joy when they see some black belt getting ground and pounded.

Everyone I've had have been very good. Of course I've been with the same TKD guy for over 20 years (he is from the old country). Guy who teaches Sambo is a good guy too. Sometimes the students do things like grind their elbow or knee in you during sparring, but what the heck. That is part of the grappling game.

Although we're all adults. Doing that to a 12 to 16 year old would be a bit assholish...
 
Majesty197914 said:
I had VERY little experience but I have really good hand speed and when he rushed at me I fired a jab and busted his nose pretty good. He was bleeding pretty bad and I was all apologetic. anyway he got completely pissed wanted to restart and proceded to beat the living crap out of me taking huge haymakers and then afterward talking shit the rest of the night about my lucky punch.
LOL - that's some funny shit right there....

My club went on a "club visit" to a neighbouring judo club. We are strongly a competition club - the other club was more recreational.

Due to the size of the club, we had only about half of the class on during sparring. I was a blue belt at the time and their instructor picked me to spar with. At the time I was training very hard - right in the middle of competition season.

I was basically throwing this guy with everything in my repertoire - he was not managing anything against me. Towards the end I was actually starting to feel a bit embarrassed because of his students looking on, so I relaxed a bit and didnt resist much on his next attempt - letting him have a good throw.

He called "matte" for that particular round - so he got the last throw on me in front of everyone and I think saved face in front of his students.
 
judogido said:
LOL - that's some funny shit right there....

My club went on a "club visit" to a neighbouring judo club. We are strongly a competition club - the other club was more recreational.

Due to the size of the club, we had only about half of the class on during sparring. I was a blue belt at the time and their instructor picked me to spar with. At the time I was training very hard - right in the middle of competition season.

I was basically throwing this guy with everything in my repertoire - he was not managing anything against me. Towards the end I was actually starting to feel a bit embarrassed because of his students looking on, so I relaxed a bit and didnt resist much on his next attempt - letting him have a good throw.

He called "matte" for that particular round - so he got the last throw on me in front of everyone and I think saved face in front of his students.

Heh heh...

Nothing you hate more than a very good, agressive young guy who is really training hard when you are fat, out of shape, and not as sharp as your 'glory years'.

But it is all good. Sometimes it is just the thing you need to get you saying, "Screw this! I need to start making some time for myself and getting back into shape."
 
Your teacher is a jerk. Any teacher who doesn't let his students spar with each other is hindering their process.
 
Go train MMA fulltime untill you feel ready. Go back and spar with that retard instructor again and kick his ass.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
1,236,662
Messages
55,432,763
Members
174,775
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back
Top