World Series of Boxing offering amateur boxers a salary

paid amateurs? i dont understand how this is gonna work out... but fuck it. sounds good

On what basis are they able to retain their olympic eligibility?

paid amateurs? i dont understand how this is gonna work out... but fuck it. sounds good

Yeah I don't get it either but why not let them earn a something, if they can still participate.

Now correct if I am wrong but don't olpmians have pretty much have to pay for everything now. Trips,gear,and stuff like that here in the states. While counteries like china,russia and Cuba pay for everything they need.

Just realized I used all Commuist counteries.

USA boxing pays for trips, uniforms, and training expenses for international tournaments.

Yeah I don't get it either but why not let them earn a something, if they can still participate.

Now correct if I am wrong but don't olpmians have pretty much have to pay for everything now. Trips,gear,and stuff like that here in the states. While counteries like china,russia and Cuba pay for everything they need.

Just realized I used all Commuist counteries.

It depends on the sport. A high profile athlete will have sponsors and I know that some track athletes will get "appearance fees" to compete in various events. Also a high profile sport will get millions for training its athletes. US Snowboarding spent a million dollars on a special training ramp for Shaun White (it was mentioned during the last winter olympics).

Anything that can bring more interest back to amateur boxing in the States is a plus. With no headgear, 3 minute rounds, and the 10-point must system in place hopefully this will also eliminate the pitty pat boxing style that most top amateurs have adopted throughout the years.

Thanks for the info Toney and Big. I don't know why but I was thinking that they had pay for their stuff. I think it was the china games were they wad a story about a family raising money so they could go see the kid in the games. Something abou they were only allowed two tickets to the games and they wanted the guys whole family to go for support. I think that made me think they had to pay for their own stuff. I forgot about sponsors.

I have no idea, it might have to do with the salary idea vs getting paid per bout, but I don't know enough about the way Olympic boxing works.

Personally I think its sad how we treat our Olympic boxers, it was downright embarrassing when that boxer was pleading for donations to take his family with him.

These guys are representing our country, surely we can take several members of his family as well, and or coach.

The Amateur International Boxing Association is the organization that handles Olympic boxing and requires membership of any athlete looking to participate in the international level events. They also have strict rules about the sort of money that can come from outside of the national federations. That's why pro boxers don't compete in the Olympics They are also the ones organizing the World Series of Boxing as a way to build a smoother transition for it's boxers to the pros.

I'm actually pretty excited. Let's hope they don't fuck it up.

Anything that can bring more interest back to amateur boxing in the States is a plus. With no headgear, 3 minute rounds, and the 10-point must system in place hopefully this will also eliminate the pitty pat boxing style that most top amateurs have adopted throughout the years.

the headgear isn't the problem, it's the point system. the judging is even worse than in the pros and the first thing the judges need to learn is that there is effective punches to the body.

The Amateur International Boxing Association is the organization that handles Olympic boxing and requires membership of any athlete looking to participate in the international level events. They also have strict rules about the sort of money that can come from outside of the national federations. That's why pro boxers don't compete in the Olympics They are also the ones organizing the World Series of Boxing as a way to build a smoother transition for it's boxers to the pros.
Yup. I've been following this for a little while now and am interested to see how it works out.

the headgear isn't the problem, it's the point system. the judging is even worse than in the pros and the first thing the judges need to learn is that there is effective punches to the body.
I'll agree there. Didn't they also make it a rule that only straight punches counted? I seem to remember hearing something like that.

the first thing the judges need to learn is that there is effective punches to the body.
That's not the issue, because they don't score punches based on 'effectiveness' in the amateures.

The problem is that in order for a point to officially register, 3 of 5 judges must press their button. And in order for a judge to press his button he actually has to see the white part of the glove hit the scoring area. If he doesn't clearly see the white part hit (even if it's obvious that a punch did land) he cant push the button.

So if a guy gets hit on the side of his ribs, it's hard for judges on the other sides of the ring to be able to see the white part land so body shots don't usually get scored.

It's shit. I'm a heavy body puncher and I've lost three fights by a single point where if they had a different system I would've won the fight easily cause I went to the body so much but got no (or not as many as I deserved) points for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back