1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

World Series of Boxing offering amateur boxers a salary

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by rsreed13, Jul 13, 2010.

1. rsreed13

rsreed13 Yellow Belt

2. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

paid amateurs? i dont understand how this is gonna work out... but fuck it. sounds good

3. nip102

nip102 Purple Belt

i hate it

4. wisdom blows

wisdom blows Gold Belt

these guys will earn more than shane carwin.

5. MeBig

MeBig Brown Belt

On what basis are they able to retain their olympic eligibility?

6. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

Yeah I don't get it either but why not let them earn a something, if they can still participate.

Now correct if I am wrong but don't olpmians have pretty much have to pay for everything now. Trips,gear,and stuff like that here in the states. While counteries like china,russia and Cuba pay for everything they need.

Just realized I used all Commuist counteries.

7. MeBig

MeBig Brown Belt

USA boxing pays for trips, uniforms, and training expenses for international tournaments.

8. Tony Manifold

Tony Manifold Brown Belt

It depends on the sport. A high profile athlete will have sponsors and I know that some track athletes will get "appearance fees" to compete in various events. Also a high profile sport will get millions for training its athletes. US Snowboarding spent a million dollars on a special training ramp for Shaun White (it was mentioned during the last winter olympics).

9. MMAmouse

MMAmouse Brown Belt

Anything that can bring more interest back to amateur boxing in the States is a plus. With no headgear, 3 minute rounds, and the 10-point must system in place hopefully this will also eliminate the pitty pat boxing style that most top amateurs have adopted throughout the years.

10. TheRatman

TheRatman Brown Belt

Thanks for the info Toney and Big. I don't know why but I was thinking that they had pay for their stuff. I think it was the china games were they wad a story about a family raising money so they could go see the kid in the games. Something abou they were only allowed two tickets to the games and they wanted the guys whole family to go for support. I think that made me think they had to pay for their own stuff. I forgot about sponsors.

11. rsreed13

rsreed13 Yellow Belt

I have no idea, it might have to do with the salary idea vs getting paid per bout, but I don't know enough about the way Olympic boxing works.

12. Fzubek

Fzubek Brown Belt

Personally I think its sad how we treat our Olympic boxers, it was downright embarrassing when that boxer was pleading for donations to take his family with him.

These guys are representing our country, surely we can take several members of his family as well, and or coach.

13. The Fan Man

The Fan Man Blue Belt

The Amateur International Boxing Association is the organization that handles Olympic boxing and requires membership of any athlete looking to participate in the international level events. They also have strict rules about the sort of money that can come from outside of the national federations. That's why pro boxers don't compete in the Olympics They are also the ones organizing the World Series of Boxing as a way to build a smoother transition for it's boxers to the pros.

I'm actually pretty excited. Let's hope they don't fuck it up.

14. chino0503

chino0503 Black Belt

aiba is organizing this. i hope it stays around.

15. amhlilhaus

amhlilhaus Black Belt

the headgear isn't the problem, it's the point system. the judging is even worse than in the pros and the first thing the judges need to learn is that there is effective punches to the body.

16. Cdn_Fight_Fan

Cdn_Fight_Fan Green Belt

Yup. I've been following this for a little while now and am interested to see how it works out.

17. MMAmouse

MMAmouse Brown Belt

I'll agree there. Didn't they also make it a rule that only straight punches counted? I seem to remember hearing something like that.

18. Cdn_Fight_Fan

Cdn_Fight_Fan Green Belt

That's not the issue, because they don't score punches based on 'effectiveness' in the amateures.

The problem is that in order for a point to officially register, 3 of 5 judges must press their button. And in order for a judge to press his button he actually has to see the white part of the glove hit the scoring area. If he doesn't clearly see the white part hit (even if it's obvious that a punch did land) he cant push the button.

So if a guy gets hit on the side of his ribs, it's hard for judges on the other sides of the ring to be able to see the white part land so body shots don't usually get scored.

It's shit. I'm a heavy body puncher and I've lost three fights by a single point where if they had a different system I would've won the fight easily cause I went to the body so much but got no (or not as many as I deserved) points for it.