Workouts thats important for BJJ/grappling

NiRinLove

Blue Belt
Reaction score
for grappling, what are some workouts thats very important? which body parts needs to be very strong? triceps? back? what should i concentrate on?

Ive always wondered about this as well.

For me I know hips are very important so I do Hangcleans and dips/chins/bicep curls for upperbody. For lower body I dont do anything else besides squats.

I'd go with core strength and grip work.

I'd go with core strength and grip work.

For some reason this reminds me of a well-known purple belt...

Strengthen your legs through squats, your core (plenty of emphasis on the lower back here), and your upper body "push/pull muscles". Don't worry about your triceps or your biceps, work instead on your chest and back.

A three-day split might be 1) push day (dips, bench, etc) 2) pull day (pull-ups, rows, etc) and 3) leg day.

Or something like my current routine: three day split that is 1) push/pull, 2) legs, and 3) muscular endurance (the type of stuff you might see on rosstraining.com)

If you do enough curls you will be immune to armbars.

If you do enough curls you will be immune to armbars.

I know you're joking, but Josh Barnett actually speaks highly of BB-like isolation movements like curls (on top of the basic compound work) for exactly that kind of reason - that positions in grappling can isolate your libs thus preventing you from using your whole body...

compound movements is the key. any movement that requires several muscle groups to get the job done and activates the core as well, such as squats, deadlifts, benchpress, military press, pull ups, T-bar, etc...

but all this is pointless if you don't get the right nutrition to repair and grow.

core, neck and grip strength are essential. But it is important to make the entire body strong so that there are no weak links in the kinetic chain.

Squats, deadlifts, front squats, overhead squats, bent over rows, chins, and some other stuff.

And roll more if you can.

Rolls with guys bigger and stronger than you.

olympic lifts and grip work

Olympic lifts are great, but I think one should have a good base (Good squat and deadlift, etc.) before delving into them. The benefit is not high enough in my opinion for a recreational grappler to perfect the form for olympic lifts and such, considering many people need coaches to get good form. If you have the time though, go for it.

+1 on the grip work x a billion.

core, neck and grip strength are essential. But it is important to make the entire body strong so that there are no weak links in the kinetic chain.

haha you can tell this guy watches fight science

1)Go to the S&P forum and read the FAQ
2)Assuming you are new to lifting, start off with a basic routine like a 5X5 workout in the FAQ and basic grip workouts
3)After you get a good base, you can make a different program, including olympic lifts,and some isolation excersizes. Also don't forget neck,grip,and core work as well
4)Most of all, remember to work on technique when training bjj and form when lifting weights. They are more important than anything

A combination of circuit training (DBs, KBs or bodyweight tabata), endurance work (rowing, swimming, running, hiking, climbing), and isolation exercises (shoulders especially) works for me.

I'm not especially interested in getting that much stronger. But I do want to make sure that I can use the strength I've got for as long as I need it.

If you train no-gi, then you might want to have different points of emphasis. But for jiu jitsu, muscular endurance is most important for me.

Back