• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Working adults, how many times a week do you train bjj/judo/wrestling?

I work a 40 hour a week job and teach 2 classes per week and train 2 times a week. I'm old and my body needs recovery between sessions.

I do 2-3 24 hour shifts per week

so I end up goin to bjj 2-4 times a week

im older too (36) so It forces me to take a rest day which is good

2-3 times per week.

When I get off work it takes an hour with traffic to get to the academy.
After an 8-10 hour workday 5-6 days per week it is sometimes hard
to find the energy to sit in traffic for an hour after work. But I do it!
Twice during the week and once on the weekend typically.

It depends on two factors: work schedules and injuries. When my schedule allows and in not hurt I train 3-4 times a week, maybe more

I don't have a family so I have more open time. I do work a 9-5 though so I get plenty of time in. Combat sports is a big part of my life, esp. competing so I make time for it

When in camp I train twice a day. Up at 5:30 and in bed by 11. Its not sustainable year round though. There are days I end up waking at 8:15 and its like FUCK, and gotta eat breakfast on the go

I'm in my 40's, married with 2 kids in college. I train 6 days a week.

Working Dad of five kids aged 9 and under. Up until recently was three times a week as I trained/coached on my lunch break at my work. However now is 1-2 times a week, once with my main gym and the other an open mat roll at my house. However I workout every other day and do lots of solo drills too.

2016 i was doing 6 times a week: BJJ mon + tues, Judo wed, Kyokushin thurs, weights fri, BJJ sat

due to trying to save cash i cut back on BJJ in 2017, giving a total 4 times a week: BJJ tues, Judo wed, Kyokushin thurs, weights fri.

i'm injured atm, but hope to go back to my 2016 schedule soon.

2016 i was doing 6 times a week: BJJ mon + tues, Judo wed, Kyokushin thurs, weights fri, BJJ sat

due to trying to save cash i cut back on BJJ in 2017, giving a total 4 times a week: BJJ tues, Judo wed, Kyokushin thurs, weights fri.

i'm injured atm, but hope to go back to my 2016 schedule soon.

That's crazy packed. You competing?
And also if you are competing, why kyokushin instead of muay thai, and why no wrestling?

I am married and work a 44h job. I train 3-4 times a week (mon, tue, wed, friday) and go to the gym 3x (tue, thursday, sat).

My wife grapples five times a week though, so we're not a a regular family by any means. Sometimes we cook in odd times or let the house get a little messy. Good thing we love rolling.

I also sprint once a week and lift weights or stretch (I’ve been doing Gymnastic Bodies) at home.
What's the gymnastic bodies program like? I heard Tim ferris pushing it. Usually he is spot on. I'm interested in trying it.

6. Classes on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday. Usually I'll do sparring only on Wednesday and Friday (marathon roll). Saturday or Sunday I'll do 5 or 6 rounds at Open Mat and go kind of mellow.

I gave up on weights and stuff a long time ago.

3x a week on average. I work as a physed teacher and I mostly commute by bike, so my days are very active. 5x a week would be ideal, but there's only so much energy I can expand in a day.

That's crazy packed. You competing?
And also if you are competing, why kyokushin instead of muay thai, and why no wrestling?

I compete every year in Judo in Kyu grade (coloured belt) comps, and will again in 2018. I want to get my black belt and if you don't compete you don't grade. I didn't compete in BJJ in 2016 or 2017, but plan on doing it this year now I feel more confident at blue belt and will hopefully get up to purple. I do Kyokushin as I actually started in off Karate before I got into grappling, so I want to keep at it once a week and keep in touch with that style and I still enjoy it. I plan to compete in that in 2018 too lol. Muay Thai is great, just wanted to stick to my roots. Wrestling is almost non-existent in Australia, very rare to find a club here :(

Protip: A wife IS a roommate.
Sure, but not good for hard sparring (unless your wife is built like Gabi Garcia)

I know a few guys who live with other bjj guys and they train at home all the time when they are not at work or bjj class... They are really good.

I know a few guys who live with other bjj guys and they train at home all the time when they are not at work or bjj class... They are really good.

Well, yeah, but OP's question was about training with work and family. My wife would look at me funny if I brought in a male roommate for extracurricular wrestling. (Though who knows, maybe she'd be into it.)

Ive been training 2 days a week religiously for almost 10 years. *currently a Brown belt*
Every now and then i am able to get another day in there but my two days have been solid locked since i started..
I am in the gym for almost 4hours at a time though... and my gym does a annual camp in tampa that is 3 days long (im usually there for 4-5 days) , and another one in canada for 3 days every year.

its really depends on your work schedule. I dont try to put to much on my plate.

Back