• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Working 2 Jobs

j123

500-0-1
@Gold
Reaction score
Just curious, any Sherdogger does or did this?

I work a 9-5 in IT, but have been thinking I can pad my finances even more if I took a part-time job. I basically will have to give up training, and competing for the year would be a pipe dream if it comes to this, but having more money's always nice so it could be worth it.

So what I'm wondering is for those that did it, was it sustainable?

inb4 you sound poor

I do currently and it's kind of tricky. I do by appointment though and both jobs want the same times so it's a bit of a pain to juggle so I'm looking to ditch one of them.

Do you have a specific financial goal you'd like to reach? If you're saving for a house or something specific, it might be good for awhile, but i've heard of a lot of folks who work a lot of OT end up being accustomed to the money they make from that, so they never really get ahead and end up having to work extra hours just to maintain their lifestyle. If you're not single that would make it hard as well. I'd say go for it if you have a specific goal and are good at saving, that way you don't burn yourself out and actually put yourself ahead.

Just curious, any Sherdogger does or did this?

I work a 9-5 in IT, but have been thinking I can pad my finances even more if I took a part-time job. I basically will have to give up training, and competing for the year would be a pipe dream if it comes to this, but having more money's always nice so it could be worth it.

So what I'm wondering is for those that did it, was it sustainable?

inb4 you sound poor
Ditto, pull 40 hrs in tech support (helpdesk), I also drive uber and lyft on nights and weekends and have my own separate support clients (not much there it can range from famine to several hundred a month for helping out friends/family/referrals).

Sustainable? I've been doing all of this for over 2 years now, it makes for a long week though....

Worked 3 jobs at one point. Was pretty much in zombie mode for the better part of 2 years. Dropped one and just worked 2 for another 1.5 years and it seemed like a much needed break. Fortunate enough now to be able to make more money in one job then all 3 together before but I gotta say it taught me how to use my time wisely and plan for things I wanted to do. I would say go for it if something is financially that important to you, there's a lot to be gained besides financial gain though from the experience

I did my first 2 years after college, as a teachers assistant and college dining center dinner manager. There was a time growing up when my dad had 3 jobs and my mom had 2, so my 2 didn't seem so bad.

Ditto, pull 40 hrs in tech support (helpdesk), I also drive uber and lyft on nights and weekends and have my own separate support clients (not much there it can range from famine to several hundred a month for helping out friends/family/referrals).

Sustainable? I've been doing all of this for over 2 years now, it makes for a long week though....
Do you plan to stay in IT? if so are you studying for certs? trust me put the extra time in certs and you can make some good $$$ also think about working overseas it's easy money

yeah i did, i went to college taking night classes, worked during the day and had a part time gig during some weekends, shit was not funny but when i finished paying my loans and a got a better full time job it was worth it

I'm doing this and one of my jobs is also in IT. I'm trying to transition from IT to another industry. My IT career pays well enough that I couldn't just give up that salary and benefits and move over to a lower paying job in a new field. I've been doing this for almost 8 years now. 2018 is when I can finally fully transition to one job, in the new industry, without missing any pay. I'm actually working on a business plan to open my own business. I've posted about that here before.

When I was fresh out of college I worked 5-10:30p at a newsstand a couple nights a week, then went to my full time job working overnight in an emergency room. It was exhausting, and more difficult when you factor in a pretty destructive drug addiction I was working through. Eventually the er job gave me a raise that allowed me to quit the newsstand and I never looked back.

Now, I'm on call 24/7 for my job, and have been for many years. Also I'm paid enough that the extra income isn't worth the extra stress.

people have tried to get me to do IT work on the side for decades. f that.
i figure if i need to work 2 jobs in order to make good money, then it's likely time to find a better paying job.

I worked two jobs for about 6 years after college. My wife landed a real good job so I quit the part time one. Life is tough when you're young and broke and trying to make it.

I have a friend who does it. He is single and just likes to be occupied. He's a graphic artist for a major newspaper, so a lot of his day is just drawing and creating stuff. At night he works at a bar that has different shows. I think he works like 2 weekdays and then the weekend.

I did it from the ages of 19 to 23. Worked on cars full time at a dealership while I worked part time at night at a grocery store.. about 16-20 hours a week.

I basically kept working the part time job so I had extra money to party with. Drugs were expensive.

Did that a fair bit in my life. In university I worked my co-op job during the week and had a weekend job as well. Sucked balls but it kept the bills paid. Did the same thing again a couple years after I graduated, worked a regular weekday job then did on-site equipment installations on weekends. Quit that shit as soon as I got married and bought a house, I'm still working 2 jobs but it's all part time now and adds up to maybe 25-30 hours a week tops.

When you're young, single, and have no life it's easy to work 2 jobs and rack up 70 hour weeks. But once you get a bit older it's a really shitty way to live, you get really grouchy and anti-social after a while, and you want to tell everyone to go fuck off and die. It's a really good way to pickup a drinking and/or drug problem. Your health goes down the shitter too since you no longer have the energy to care enough & take care of yourself, you can get away with this for a while when you're in your early 20s, after that, bad things start to happen.

Personal thoughts. Unless you have a specific goal in mind AND and clear end date, don't do it. It's a really good way to hate your life.

Have done it but lost training time majorly.

If you are in IT and are computer savvy, you could design websites on the side or simply take a mcpukes job on the side.
Teach the uppercuts... i mean pepper at your gym?

Sell your pussy? Pussy sells.

I did it for a while back when. Recently decided I should be doing so now. I'm just wasting time otherwise. Why not make some more money?

I wish I did when I first started my career, but now with kids it's definitely a NO. My freetime is too important unless you're talking a job that I can make double my hourly wage and choose when I want to work (for example 1 day every two weeks). My first job in my career was actually way too laid back and too much free time that I should have hustled more. Especially my job was a state job with good benefits including 403b and 457 retirements I could have maxed out each year. If I maxed both during the 5 years I was there my retirement portfolio would be probably be much more padded. Also 457 accounts allow you to take out at any time penalty free, which is a nice catostrophic backup.

I thought about it at my old job then decided it was time to get a job that pays more instead.

Back