Words to live by.

Because they did'nt know when they were fated to die. It might be that day, or the next. Or ten years later. So they fought as hard as they could and protected themselves whenever possible. They just did'nt bother worrying if they were going to win, lose or die. Because after a certain point it was out of their control anyway.

Determinism is not the same as defeatism. And the Norsemen's philosophy is no different from a Christian saying, "God works in mysterious ways", or a Muslim stating, "If God wills it".

I disagree, there is no difference. If nothing can change your fate then nothing you do will matter. Whether you know that fate or not would also make no difference.

I find it far more motivating (and likely) that our actions define our outcomes.

Anyway, to contribute to the thread:

"It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience." - Julius Caesar

Being a real lifter is not about a number, or a medal, or somebody else telling you that you are a real lifter. It is about commitment to the iron and strength of purpose.

"Coach"

My favorite sig, default.

You cannot escape the results of your thoughts.... Whatever your present environment may be, you will fall, remain or rise with your thoughts, your vision, your ideal. You will become as small as your controlling desire, as great as your dominant aspiration. -James Lane Allen

Is that James Allen the author? He was born in my town btw.

This reminds me starkly of this years Australian Open Mens Final. Djokovic might be the most mentally tough athlete I've ever seen.

I don't remember posting that or where I got it from. Odd.

You're back on Sherdog now? So inspired by my text about my PR the other day, right? Knew it.

P.S. I hope you'll be posting in your log again!

I disagree, there is no difference. If nothing can change your fate then nothing you do will matter. Whether you know that fate or not would also make no difference.

I find it far more motivating (and likely) that our actions define our outcomes.

it is in their fate to take up arms and armor, perhaps? It is the will of their gods to wear battle dress?

lol philosophy gets very deep very quickly.

moving on...
“Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”
― Heraclitus

Well, that's like, his uh. Opinion, man.

sobchak2.jpg

Agreed. I find deterministic attitudes to be useless. Every day I run into circumstances far beyond my control that effect some outcome, no matter how small, on my life. However, I think it is appropriate to refuse to be determined solely by those outcomes. A man must take what he needs and wants to succeed, rather than simply accepting what comes to him.

I think that those who embrace determinisms, while not necessarily destined for failure in all facets of life, are destined to be "less" than they might have been had they adopted a more positive and progressive outlook.

Two Italian proverbs..
Meglio un giorno da leone che cento da pecora -- Better one day as a lion than a hundred as a sheep.
Ogni mali nun veni pri n

Back