Won't Be Training for 4 Months - What Should I Do?

RickNash

Narratologist
@Green
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Starting in September I'll be in University and my schedule will force me to stop taking BJJ for my first semester (my schedule and my BJJ school's schedule conflict, and money will be tight for the first semester). After that my schedule opens up because of the amount of half courses I'm taking. Anyway, have any of you ever had this or something similar happen? I'm wanting to stay in shape, so I'm planning on working out as often as I can. Is there anything specific that I should be doing to stay in decent grappling shape? I find that grappling shape/cardio is different from the cardio you get by riding a bike, for example(and for obvious reasons).

I know that shadow rolling to work on technique will be about all I can do to stay sharp that way(lots of visualizing, lol), but what else can/should I do?

join a Judo club. They're cheap, the classes are flexible, and you will learn legit grappling technique along with a good workout.

join a Judo club. They're cheap, the classes are flexible, and you will learn legit grappling technique along with a good workout.

+1, Judo is the shit for improving takedowns, takedown defense, clinch work, etc...
During randori you may find some of the people actually enjoy submission grappling, transitions, and other facets of groundwork.

You may find yourself able to cut out a step or two in your game. For instance, getting good at finishing takedowns in side control instead of (half)/guard.

A: Circuit training. Will help you build that high stamina and strength

B: Enjoy College. Seriously. Keep your studies together but other than that smoke weed, drink and get laid.

C: Do yoga if your college has a club. Will help a ton with strength, balance and flexibility. And you'll hang with smokin hot chicks in spandex. Will help with getting laid

D: If you have a judo club, or MMA club then your path is obvious.

I say soga, jogging, and if you have a friend that can do it with you, work through pirated BJJ dvds on sundays.

B: Enjoy College. Seriously. Keep your studies together but other than that smoke weed, drink and get laid.

C: Do yoga if your college has a club. Will help a ton with strength, balance and flexibility. And you'll hang with smokin hot chicks in spandex. Will help with getting laid

lol, makes me laugh, but its basically correct... but I'd do whatever you need to do to get back to BJJ. Most coaches will give you a break if your poor and in college.

lol, makes me laugh, but its basically correct... but I'd do whatever you need to do to get back to BJJ. Most coaches will give you a break if your poor and in college.

The mat mopper/toilet scrubber program, it happens:redface:. I've definetely been there... But that's the cool thing alot of martial arts instructors are very willing to barter and work with you. They rock, and just really love to have people train

I would join a club if I could, it's just that #2 takes precedence over all else. Yoga is an interesting idea. I may look into it.

FinalGalvaoCover3.jpg

Back