Wonderboy vs The Immortal II

looq

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Given the fact that Brown beat Thompson early in Thompsons UFC career, who would you pick in the rematch and why?

Obviously Thompson is riding this hype train now and rightfully so. Do you see Thompson winning via KO this time or is Matt Brown too tough and gritty and still gets the job done?

Are people considering Brown a write-off in a rematch at this point?

Last edited:
I see Brown absorbing a few shots as he always does for 1-2 rounds, but the kicking rate and speed mixed with outstanding variety in his leg strikes will eventually overwhelm him. It won't be a crystal clean knockout but it'll be a TKO F0Sho for Johnny Cage

It's a good question. Sadly i didnt watch the 1st fight. But Matt is very orthodox fighter, he dont use flashy techniques and he is very good without them. Wonderboy is flashy but i think it would be at the same level of competitivness as 1st fight. Technial and traditional Matt Brown Thai Boxing vs Flashy Karate/Taekwondo. Very interesting.

5 rd fight, I think Brown would probably UD him again with his style of pressure. Good fight though could go either way.

Yes, that was bad gameplan on Thompson when he faced Matt Brown. It wasnt like he was dominated, he showed in small glimpses he was capable of dominating Brown.

yeah that victory is looking better and better for matt brown.

with the confidence thompson has right now though, would be hard to bet against him - although brown does have a good style to deal with his game (pressure and durability).

If they were to rematch I'd take Wonderboy. That said I don't think he needs the rematch. He's moved passed that fight in his career he should only move forward at this point.

He almost finished brown in the first fight...he improved the holes in his game which Brown was able to exploit in the first fight. WB by KO.

I'd take Wonderboy, Brown was pretty hurt against Means before he TKO'd him, Means is a tough SOB but Wonderboys striking is on a different level, his TDD seems better than it was.

That fight was a while ago and Brown ended up going on an absolute tear right to the championship. Wonderboy is now in that status of looking unstoppable and has improved quite a lot. I got Thompson by 2RD TKO from a brutal body shot.

i hope thompson fights brown (if brown beats maia) next if he doesnt get the title shot...also i will betting matt brown heavily vs maia if his odds stay close to what they are now....maia -450 vs m brown +320...maia should be favored especially in brazil but not by that much....id say its 60/40 for maia ...m brown is a finisher and has enough power to put maia away like marquardt did if he can catch him early..

Wonderboy, via spinning kick to liver....no more than 2 minutes inside first round.

If they were to rematch I'd take Wonderboy. That said I don't think he needs the rematch. He's moved passed that fight in his career he should only move forward at this point.
I don't get what you mean by "He's moved passed that fight in his career he should only move forward" because before the hendricks fight Brown was still ranked ahead of Wonderboy. Also, Brown is still a top 10 fighter in the WW division.

I think the fight is intriguing to a lot of fans and in no way has Wonderboy "moved passed it" other than that he is currently on a great win streak. There are still questions to be answered there.

Wonderboy almost KO'ed Brown in that fight, but a big part of him gassing and not being able to was his god awful takedown defense in those days, Brown was taking him down at will.

Now that that part of his game is shored up, I'd pick Wonderboy by tko.

Brown took wonder boy down a bunch the first time. This time I expect wonderboy to pepper him.

I'd like to see Wonderboy versus Brandon Thatch.
Would love to see who the standup plays out.

I'd like to see Wonderboy versus Brandon Thatch.
Would love to see who the standup plays out.

i would have too they were supposed to fight then bendo stepped in for injured thompson...i thought thatch was a dynamo on the feet till he couldnt hurt bendo at 170 and then got knocked down and dazed by gunnar, who is not known for having ko power and is small for 170...i m still a thatch fan but now i wouldnt be that excited for that fight...imo thompson would starch him in their current forms...l

ooking back, thatch looked like a world beater early in his ufc career cuz he was fighting c level competition like justin edwards and paulo thiago..thompson s been thru r whitaker, j hendricks, p cote and j ellenberger ...thompson should take the 170 belt unless robbie switches things up and mixes in td s otherwise he s only got a punchers chance...thompson is is like 57-0 in pure standup fights

It'd be a good fight. I can see Matt doing well using his MT, but I feel like WB has a solid chance at this point. I believe that was his second fight in the UFC and was near the beginning of Matt's 7 fight win streak.

It would be an awesome fight, that's all I can say.

Back