Wonderboy vs Colby

I think Colby would be a significant bookmaker favourite.

I would love to see it. I like WB over Colby as a fighter and character any day. But it’s not a one sided fight at all and style wise it’s great: unique counter striker vs a high pressure high volume guy

I feel like most who think Thompson wins are biased by their dislike of Colby, which is understandable. However, Colby beats the brakes off 38 to 39 year old Thompson. Thompson will fear the take down and doesn't have the speed or youth of someone like Israel to sit outside and make it work. Colby closes the distance easily and by round 3 Thompson is in really bad shape. If they fought ten times I'm going Colby seven out of ten. Three or four years ago I'm not so sure.

Yeah, that's a bad match-up for Colby. I also wouldn't favor him against Leon or Burns. The reason he wanted the Jorge fight was because it was the only top 5 opponent he was confident he could beat. Still not sure why they gave him another title shot.

The Burns fight is the one to make! Let Leon fight for the title. If Leon should win, now you got PLENTY of options. Let Jorge do a fun fight (Diaz).

In his prime, I think Wonderboy wins without much issue. Nowadays, more of a toss up as I think Thompson has slowed down a bit in recent years. Style wise though, Colby’s pressure style plays right into Thompson’s game. Colby is not very good on the feet, his volume and pace is his biggest strength there but he leaves a lot of openings a seasoned, distance based striker like Thompson would take advantage of.

I'm surprised by the number of people thinking Colby's on the feet volume will be a prime part of Colby's game plan. It won't. He will make it an ugly grappling much from the opening bell. Why on earth would he trade with Thompson? Colby plays the idiot, but he isn't an idiot in terms of fight IQ. Colby knows Thompson wins the standup battle early.

As an example when he fought Lawler, who had really good TDD, Colby was 10 for 18 on takedowns. After he beats up Thompson on the ground then he might work some volume punches but not before then. Also Colby would be even more take down centric against Thompson since he is more technical than Lawler.

Back