Wonderboy has nothing left to prove to be a contender in the eyes of the fans

I would love to see him win the title before he retired and I believe he has a decent chance if given the chance.

For me, his loss vs petit was a lightening bolt and he beats him 9.5 times/10. His loss to Woodley was more legit but he was still unlucky. He’s loss to Till was a toss of the coin with neither really getting the upper hand. Wonderboy boy probably won that fight anyway.

Him and Colby are the only two fighters in the division that have a chance of being in front come rounds 4 and 5. Thus Wonderboy is one of just two threats to Usman in the UFC.

Last edited:
If they gave him the TS, I'd say maybe about 15% of fans would be disappointed. Who doesn't like Wonderboy?

I like him but he laid too many eggs on main event stages. Part of the reason Yoel got cut

If they gave him the TS, I'd say maybe about 15% of fans would be disappointed. Who doesn't like Wonderboy?

I like Shogun but I'm not sat here saying he should get a next just because he's a fan favourite.

I prefer title shots to get given to guys who string win streaks together, not because they like to smile a lot.

I like him and wouldn’t mind seeing it either but honestly

View attachment 836166

tenor.gif
the thing is the folks in charge of the ufc see his fights with woodly and till as victories. that in itself changes the narrative. He got caught by pettis but other than that he really hasn't been beat in a long time. Also it would be a fun matchup to see.

I've said it before and I will say it again. Wonderboy is the Welterweight version of Gustafson.

A win over Luque is better than a win over Woodley in this day and age. You bring up his loss to Pettis but what about his wins?

He made Masvidal look like he didn't belong. KO'd Whittaker and Hendricks (when he was still good) in the first round.

Whitaker, Hendricks and Masvidal wins were ages ago, dude. He needs a top win before a TS.

I am not saying that he isn't a great fighter, he obviously is. I am also not saying that e.g. Jorge or Colby deserve the TS more than he does.

Imho nobody really deserve a title shot at 170 right now. They really need to match the top contenders against each other to determine the next in line.

He beat 2 really good up and coming prospects that were on 6 and 7 fight win streaks. Not to mention he was on the end of 2 bad decision losses to Woodley & Till.
The TIlll decision was bad, Woodley not so much.

The TIlll decision was bad, Woodley not so much.
The woodley decision was worse, imo. I'm fine with people saying Wonderboy didn't deserve to win, but in no world can someone argue Woodley won either of their fights.

Honestly, no one deserves a title shot at welterweight. Usman should fight the Costa/Whitaker winner for the interim middleweight title. Give enough time for welterweights to actually fight each other.

At age 38, if he doesn't get a titleshot ASAP, we'll only be watching his decline and wonder what could've been.

He's in a division where the top guys don't want to fight eachother, yet he's fighting tough competition and giving us bangers.
He dug so deep in his fight with Geoff Neal, to have a battered face and torn quad going into the fifth, and still dominating.
He's 38 and still taking out future contenders.

Fans will cite his losses (all but one were very close decisions) and for some reason they're ready for Colby (who got brutalized and finished by Usman) to get a second titleshot after a single win over a completely checked out Woodley.

You all should be outraged that the UFC would pass him up for Masvidal or Covington.

I like Wonderboy. But that KO by a sunsetting Pettis really hurt his stock. The only other guys Pettis ever finished with strikes in the UFC were lightweights. And those fights were seven years earlier.

the thing is the folks in charge of the ufc see his fights with woodly and till as victories. that in itself changes the narrative. He got caught by pettis but other than that he really hasn't been beat in a long time. Also it would be a fun matchup to see.

If you don't count several legitimate losses everyone's record starts to look pretty good. If you don't count Stipe and Jones DC is undefeated.

Sure. But the Till and Pettis fight did legitimately knock him down a few rungs.

But if Edwards negotiates his way straight the fuck out of a title shot, give it to WB. Let Colby win another first.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back