• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

With the passing of Avicii, I have to ask: What is it exactly that DJs do?

vp9j0SL.gif

Seriously.

I have no idea what goes into performing electronic music, especially live.

Can someone educate me?

Are DJs actual musicians?

A lot of these clowns are actually pretty good musicians. Deadmau5 is one of the only ones thats not a real musician, hes more of a tech. Skrillex has been in bands and is great at guitar. Fucking Borgore is a classically trained musician that makes one chord noise when he could play dope melodies. Whatever makes you money I guess.

A lot of these clowns are actually pretty good musicians. Deadmau5 is one of the only ones thats not a real musician, hes more of a tech. Skrillex has been in bands and is great at guitar. Fucking Borgore is a classically trained musician that makes one chord noise when he could play dope melodies. Whatever makes you money I guess.

Skrillex is a dick to faker DJ's, right? Seem to remember him calling people out in social media.

They get incredibly hot and fit women to dress up like strippers and dance for hours on end.

That's all I need to know

That was my reaction exactly.
This thread has me on a Daft Punk binge. It's funny to read some shitty reviews of Discovery from back in the day considering how iconic it's become, especially when you realize that they're fucking geniuses.

I wish I could find the whole version of Kanye doing Stronger live, I still remember seeing it on tv when Daft Punk came out of the ground and the crowd losing their mind. I doubt they're going to tour for a few more years, they're incredibly secretive and really take their time with their albums. Random Access Memories was incredible though.

I can't imagine being lucky enough to see them live. I candyflipped back in the day when it dropped (LSD and MDMA) and listened to it straight through, bought one of those cool projectors that filled the whole room with red stars, and hooked up with a girl the entire album for the first listen.

Glorious.

I wish one hardcore fan would step up and really sell what these guys do.

Are you talking about guys that put a mix together and play it? Or are you talking about hip-hop DJ's that put together beats for songs?

Or.. battle DJ's that beat juggle/scratch do diss contests and so on?

The short answer is yes, there's talent. And yes, these guys put things together and come up with routines like in the DMC's which is where the best of the best DJ's compete..

^This dude Noize is also a legendary diss-DJ battler

They're mixers, not musicians. It's a way for untalented people to "make" music and bang bro.

Omg is that the person who made that song . . . That uh. What’s it called LMAO. It’s so happy n fun to sing to with funny music video.

Hold on.

Okay I looked. It’s called I could be the one. Fab song. I love it.

BT is the only DJ I'd consider a good musician.

A lot of ignorant people in this thread.

For fucks sake, if the music doesn't appeal to you, fine.. but no need to shit on something you know very little about.

I used to DJ, never made it big but I have played at parties and have met some of the players in the NYC and London scenes. I'm going back to the days before final scratch, serrato boxes, etc. I'd spend hours at record shops listening and buying vinyl records to play on my Technics 1200s.

Mixing vinyl is not easy.. there's a learning curve. You have to match tempos, make sure audio levels match, monitor if the sounds mixed together aren't drowning each other out, and most importantly, making sure you line up your 2 records properly. If you're off by a beat, it ends up sounding like garbage. You have to find the right spot to drop the next record and keep it there until you're ready... All while you hope you don't lose grip of the vinyl or the needle jumps because some drunk bumped into your table.

Now there are technologies out that make it much easier for DJs to find their songs, using software, and they use either turntables or some kind of pads to control to timing of the songs. Originally these systems were designed to help some really skilled DJs drop 100 tracks in an hour or so.. which wasn't easy before because you'd have to spend time going to your bag, pulling out records, switching them, lining them up, etc. Of course some more amateurs got their hands on this stuff and they use the advantages to do something they probably wouldn't have been able to do the old school way.

I have been to parties where the DJ is faking it. I can tell right away.

I'm more into production now. It's something that's relatively easy to get into but extremely difficult to master. I'm hoping to start putting some records out within a few months.

Seriously, there must be some level of skill involved.

They release their own tracks, right?

Most DJs play other people's music, but there's skill involved in that, good DJs have deep knowledge in music tempo and know how to make transitions. There's also shitty DJs that just press the play button on their laptop.

Avicii was ALSO a composer and producer, so he played his own stuff.

By DJ I assume you actually mean an EDM producer, because ultimately thats what most of these guys are. I've never made an EDM track in my life, but I do know it's fucking complex and extremely hard to get the right sound. You can look at them as song writers or composers that use electronic sounds as their instruments. I didn't realize appreciate how complicated it is until 3 separate friends of mine tried their hand at it, and their stuff was so bland, boring and flat it made me understand the complexity and richness of a proper production.

how-electronic-music-is-made_6970.jpg

For the actually DJ'ing at a show, it varies. Some muppets just hit play and pretend to turn knobs. Others are the real deal, like when I saw Carl Cox back in the day mixing live with 4 decks which was awesome. I'd look at the DJ'ing part more from the perspective of performance, knowing how to whip up the crowd and create ebbs and flows throughout the show. ATB stands out for this for me, I had a great time as his show because he know how to work the crowd.

Free bonus example of what I think was as a kickass production

I'm friends with a few mixers, and it's not as talentless as it seems, especially if they're sampling their own original music to create something.

That said, if you're just putting simple beats together, and sampling other work, it's more of a mechanical skill, than an artistic one.

They're mixers, not musicians. It's a way for untalented people to "make" music and bang bro.
Paris Hilton did time as a DJ , mostly rode off her fame being rich as fuck , but This is exhibit A as to me not taking this seriously. I don't a fuck if it makes a lot of money , it just means they have skillfully targeted the sheep.

Back