Law Wisconsin Supreme Court Overturns Governor Stay Home Order

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...own-tony-evers-coronavirus-orders/5179205002/

Supreme Court said Evers overstepped his bounds by extending the lockdown an entire month. However, city mayors can impose their own lockdowns and officials in Milwaukee and Dane counties have already put in orders that expire when the original order did. So basically the court shit was just a waste of time.

Not a waste of time, just the court seeing that cities, villages and towns are better off deciding for themselves how to handle lockdowns vs a central gov't.

Large, congested cities will probably have a longer lockdown than rural sparsely populated areas, and they should.

Not a waste of time, just the court seeing that cities, villages and towns are better off deciding for themselves how to handle lockdowns vs a central gov't.

Large, congested cities will probably have a longer lockdown than rural sparsely populated areas, and they should.
Milwaukee homicide rate is up 115% from last year and they're letting the fucking clown mayor decide whats safe.

Milwaukee homicide rate is up 115% from last year and they're letting the fucking clown mayor decide whats safe.

I don't see what that has to do with controlling the spread of a virus, but ok.

Wisconsin Supreme Court. I think that's an important detail. I haven't read the arguments yet, not sure I'll get to them, but if someone has, a summary would be nice.

Overall, I think governors and the president should be able to wield fairly far-reaching powers in an emergency, even shutting down society, commerce, schools etc if need be. But that should be short-lived. One weeks, maybe two weeks. After that, legislative action should be required going forward, which is what I think the WI legislature's argument was. Seems very sensible.

He can't keep the citizens safe without a pandemic, much less with.

I'm failing to see your logic here bud.

Milwaukee is the busiest, largest city in WI, and the most infected. It should be under lockdown longer than the rural parts of the state. To extend the lockdown in MKE is the right decision.

Maybe you just want to bitch about the mayor, if that's the case, ok then. Good for you.

I'm failing to see your logic here bud.

Milwaukee is the busiest, largest city in WI, and the most infected. It should be under lockdown longer than the rural parts of the state. To extend the lockdown in MKE is the right decision.

Maybe you just want to bitch about the mayor, if that's the case, ok then. Good for you.
He's incompetent and likely doesn't have a reopening plan and simply put this order in place to stick it to the Republicans. Most infected, in a state with less than 500 covid deaths, isn't very infected at all.

He's incompetent and likely doesn't have a reopening plan and simply put this order in place to stick it to the Republicans. Most infected, in a state with less than 500 covid deaths, isn't very infected at all.
Unless you are one of the ones who died or the friend or relative of someone who died.

How many preventable deaths are you comfortable with so you can go to the movies?

Wisconsin Supreme Court. I think that's an important detail. I haven't read the arguments yet, not sure I'll get to them, but if someone has, a summary would be nice.

Overall, I think governors and the president should be able to wield fairly far-reaching powers in an emergency, even shutting down society, commerce, schools etc if need be. But that should be short-lived. One weeks, maybe two weeks. After that, legislative action should be required going forward, which is what I think the WI legislature's argument was. Seems very sensible.
I agree with you. I live in WI actually, and I don’t disagree with the court decision. We should be wary of any governor having that much power. It’s just sad because one political party seems completely unwilling to entertain any measure to keep ppl safe. Such as postponing our primary a few weeks to make sure there are sufficient mail-in ballots, for example. Ultimately if we aren’t happy with our legislative representation, that falls on us as voters.

I agree with you. I live in WI actually, and I don’t disagree with the court decision. We should be wary of any governor having that much power. It’s just sad because one political party seems completely unwilling to entertain any measure to keep ppl safe. Such as postponing our primary a few weeks to make sure there are sufficient mail-in ballots, for example. Ultimately if we aren’t happy with our legislative representation, that falls on us as voters.

This is a fair-minded response.

Alright, well I disagree with you because I think that as many in-person votes should be cast as possible.

I think polling hours and dates shouldve been extended. Open early, close late, make it a weekend affair over Saturday and Sunday. And try to get as many of the over 65 crowd to mail in as possible.

How about that?

This says nothing to the idea that the largest population centers should be on lockdown longer than rural areas.

Also, how does locking down Milwaukee "stick it" to state Republicans? Milwaukee is a pretty solid hold for Dems. It's a bit purple but def more blue.

Alright, well I disagree with you because I think that as many in-person votes should be cast as possible.

I think polling hours and dates shouldve been extended. Open early, close late, make it a weekend affair over Saturday and Sunday. And try to get as many of the over 65 crowd to mail in as possible.

How about that?
I could be fine with that too, depending on what was ultimately decided. I’d prefer in-person votes too. The Republicans here seemed completely unwilling to change anything, and there were quite a few new COVID cases traced back to Election Day.
While I prefer in-person voting, this is a totally unprecedented time. People shouldn’t have to choose between voting and catching a novel virus which could (potentially) prove deadly, or at least debilitating. I saw the writing on the wall when I started working from home, and requested a mail-in ballot right away. It took so long to get to me that I’m not certain it was received in time to be counted. I think it probably made it there in time, but I’m not sure. And that’s not a fair position to put voters in.

All lockdowns violate our Constitutional right.

It aint the governors job to keep me safe, imo. Thats my job. All he can do is hurt me.

It aint the governors job to keep me safe, imo. Thats my job. All he can do is hurt me.
I disagree somewhat. The federal government absolutely is supposed to promote the general welfare, and I think state governments have responsibilities to the safety and welfare of their constituents. In my example of the primary election, the govt absolutely has a responsibility to provide for elections that are free, fair, and safe.
I’ve only lived in this state a few years, so I’m no expert on WI law. But it seems like there’s laws on the books providing for closures of schools and restrictions on gatherings in the event of a pandemic.
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/252/02/3
But while the DHS can implement things, where do these things come from? I think mostly they’d have to come from the legislature, with some temporary exceptions for emergency powers used by the executive branch.

What’s sad to me is that we all used to agree that issues were important, but disagree on the best way to resolve the issues. Now, we can’t even agree on reality. One side is aghast at the Mueller Report and the other side thinks it’s a made up conspiracy. One side is concerned about keeping people safe during COVID, the other side thinks it’s a hoax. Very difficult to compromise and make progress.

In true Wisconsinite fashion, bars were packed to the gills last night.

I could be fine with that too, depending on what was ultimately decided. I’d prefer in-person votes too. The Republicans here seemed completely unwilling to change anything, and there were quite a few new COVID cases traced back to Election Day.
While I prefer in-person voting, this is a totally unprecedented time. People shouldn’t have to choose between voting and catching a novel virus which could (potentially) prove deadly, or at least debilitating. I saw the writing on the wall when I started working from home, and requested a mail-in ballot right away. It took so long to get to me that I’m not certain it was received in time to be counted. I think it probably made it there in time, but I’m not sure. And that’s not a fair position to put voters in.

I'll admit we mail-in voted as well

Some of you guys pointing out the number of infected / dead as proof the lockdown is an overreaction completely ignore that the numbers are low in large part because of the lockdown.

The mayors are in a tough spot ; open up and take a chance or keep the current limited lockdown . They are being cautious because they don't want to take the chance. A Mayor of a small town can take the chance if their infection rates is negligible , they know who is infected and their area hospitals have ample beds. Mayor of MKE or any other big city is in a whole different situation.

Back