Will we ever see stoppages like this in MMA?

TorontoTO

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

For context, this was David Benavidez vs. David Lemieux from last night on Showtime for the WBC interim super middleweight title. Lemieux was getting worked through all three rounds and got dropped multiple times. Not apparent from the clip but his corner threw in the towel.

Will MMA ever see corner stoppages like this more often or is it just due to the age of the sport that we don't. Is it the culture in MMA?

Last edited:
It is both but it is absolutely deep within the culture of MMA and Vale Tudo more importantly. The Lions Den fighting culture of being a warrior and all. A lot of these guys don't look at it like a sport in a way but more of a test of strength/will through fire sort of thing. "Warrior mentality" "I'm willing to die in the Octagon" etc.(people say things like that in boxing too to be fair). It's deep within the culture of Brazilian gyms as well. Cross's over with the culture of Brazilian para military and police units who train MMA too.
As the sport becomes more "clean" and corporate we'll see more stoppages like this in MMA but it will never be as common as it is in boxing unless the culture is changed and I don't see that happening .
It is what it is.

Hopefully not. Those pussy ass corner men should have let him continue to be a warrior and go out in his shield.

This sport is different from boxing. You dont have 12 rds,you have three or five. Kickboxing for the same reason doesnt have alot of towel throws.

Plus the nature of having to get yourself out of trouble,rather than a standing 10 count,and the fact that not all fights in MMA have violence,a fighter can get a takedown and get an easy submission...so its not ingrained in mma's culture to throw in the towel.

We have seen corners throw the towel in MMA. BJ Penns corner did it, iirc. And there have been others. I guess you mean during a round and I think the ones I remember from MMA happened between rounds.

Not like the video in the OP though. The dude may have been getting outworked, but he was aware and not on the verge of getting beat to death like BJ Penn was.

Not like the video in the OP though. The dude may have been getting outworked, but he was aware and not on the verge of getting beat to death like BJ Penn was.
Alistair overeem got a towel thrown in against Lil nog.

Alistair appeared to have a neck injury going into the fight,nog hit him with an uppercut which rocked his head back and his corner threw the towel in

Alistair was fuckin enraged at the time that threw it

Oh god,thats fuckin horrible

"He hit the canvas after taking a right hook to the chin from Smith and his legs began to shake uncontrollably. He was then hospitalised after suffering a seizure, but has since been released."

i didn't see the whole fight just the clip posted so idk what the context of the fight was outside that brief clip.

This sport is different from boxing. You dont have 12 rds,you have three or five. Kickboxing for the same reason doesnt have alot of towel throws.

Plus the nature of having to get yourself out of trouble,rather than a standing 10 count,and the fact that not all fights in MMA have violence,a fighter can get a takedown and get an easy submission...so its not ingrained in mma's culture to throw in the towel.
Everything you say is true but does not really address the issue.

The issue is 'are there situations in MMA where throwing in the towel is necessary and should happen and will MMA culture allow it?'

We all know fights like Glover Teixeira and Fabio Maldonado were we watching guys potentially get years punched off his life and the ref was allowing it to go on way too long, or any of many Kim Winslow non stoppages, where the corner throwing in the towel would help.

And as others have said, it has happened, but the issue is (as you do say) way to rarely due to the culture of MMA.

I remember seeing that live and they cut away and he was out for sooooo long . Broadcasters and promoters were sweatin for a little hoping he wasn't paralyzed or dead I swear lol.
EmotiPad-31.gif

It is both but it is absolutely deep within the culture of MMA and Vale Tudo more importantly. The Lions Den fighting culture of being a warrior and all. A lot of these guys don't look at it like a sport in a way but more of a test of strength/will through fire sort of thing. "Warrior mentality" "I'm willing to die in the Octagon" etc.(people say things like that in boxing too to be fair). It's deep within the culture of Brazilian gyms as well. Cross's over with the culture of Brazilian para military and police units who train MMA too.
As the sport becomes more "clean" and corporate we'll see more stoppages like this in MMA but it will never be as common as it is in boxing unless the culture is changed and I don't see that happening .
It is what it is.

And that's exactly why we all started watching it sir.

People say...it's not boxing.
Acting like boxing is safe because they throw in the towel, yet guys die every year in pro boxing, even after the towel is thrown.

And that's exactly why we all started watching it sir.

People say...it's not boxing.
Acting like boxing is safe because they throw in the towel, yet guys die every year in pro boxing, even after the towel is thrown.
Oh yeah don't get me wrong i agree boxing is extremely dangerous, has deaths/bad injuries annually and long term damage as well. Plus the 10 count rule set of boxing allows for multiple "tko's" if you will to occur in one fight. Then there's the NFL which isn't exactly brain nourishment either lol.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong i agree boxing is extremely dangerous, has deaths/bad injuries annually and long term damage as well. Plus the 10 count rule set of boxing allows for multiple "tko's" if you will to occur in one fight. Then there's the NFL which isn't exactly brain nourishment either lol.

You get it, as I knew you would Young Padawan lol

There's also a perception (and realistic) issue, of there being more ways to win/lose and pull a miracle, come from behind victory in MMA. So corners become hesitant as we have seen many times a guy pull a hail mary technique and manage to catch the opponent off guard and win.

Where as in boxing, if one guy is simply better then that's pretty much that. Boxing has a long history, and ring control within the sport is a literal science at this point. So being the much better boxer and getting caught with something wild is amateurish (and becomes increasingly unlikely at the higher levels).

Back