Will UFC release suspended fighters from Contract on request?

they released frank mir

i wish a fighter would challenge the UFC on this exclusivity bullshit so the fighters could get better contracts
maybe tilly dilly can call bjorn
mmaaa-launch-photo-696x418.jpg
They have exclusivity...have to hand over their likeness...but are still independent contractors..absolutely ridiculous. Won't stop until the top guys man up

Pretty sure TJ has to stay in the testing pool regardless. Not to mention athletic commissions tend to get pissed if you circumvent suspensions, and might not grant him a license in the future if he pulls something like that.

If TJ Dillashaw wants to go over to japan and earn some money while he’s on suspension, god forbid if he has a lifetime ban.

Will they let him go of his commitment to them?

I know cheating sucks but it seems kind of rough to stop him from earning a living somewhere else, if he wants to fight cans overseas and crush them for a paycheque.

Guy has a family and kids.

nope it only reward the cheating fighter. tj would asap sign with one or bellator and be allowed to fight overseas for 2 years. than when it over bellator would say tj would be fighting whp ever there champ is an act like nothing happened.

just like how they did release tom lawler until his time was up

they released frank mir

i wish a fighter would challenge the UFC on this exclusivity bullshit so the fighters could get better contracts

but frank mir has a agreement that he not sign with bellator until his time was up.

that photo was a pr stunt that was to scare the ufc and it didnt work.

Why would you waste time suspending him if you can go and fight elsewhere? Completely defeats the purpose of the ban. All the work trying to stop the problem would go down the tube. He could just get a job like a normal person.

that why the ufc wont cut him cause that mean the next day after being cut he would fight in japan or russia.

I think they should have an option to take a release from there contract and go elsewhere.

the fighters really need to get together and start some kind of union and or a fighters association similar to player associations in other sports.

This is one thing I’ve never understood about the MLB players’ union, for example. The union fights tooth and nail for players who get suspended. What about the players with whom they were competing? This goes double for combat sports, in which a cheater is seeking an unfair advantage with which to potentially hurt their opponent.
I guess, in a nutshell, why would a fighters’ union automatically take the side of a suspended fighter, particularly when the suspension isn’t imposed by the employer (or in this case, contractor).

Doesn’t make much business sense to do so. Mirko is the only person I can think of that was granted release fairly quickly after being suspended.

UFC really doesn't give a shit if someone can't earn a living. They sure won't let the competition have a still relevant former UFC fighter.

they released frank mir

Frank was at the end of his career and was mostly losing.

I'm sure the UFC wouldn't have an issue either paying him to do something, or releasing him with as n agreement to return when suspension is over. I know he's having a couple of surgeries in the down time, so I doubt he would ask for release.

There's no way the UFC can legally stop someone from doing his job for two years while other companies can offer them a job. Doesn't make any sense at all.

Then again in the USA corporations > individuals mostly. So I guess I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the only countries in the world where such a disgrace is possible.

if he wanted to, he can go fight in Rizin. He'd get sued by the UFC, but they can't physically stop him from going and fighting if he so chooses to do so.

they released frank mir

They'll do it to old legends as a favor, but no way they'll release a young fighter that was literally the champ a few months ago without any kind of compensation.

There's no way the UFC can legally stop someone from doing his job for two years while other companies can offer them a job. Doesn't make any sense at all.

I don't see the problem, it's the fighter's fault. Just like you can't be a taxi driver if your licence got suspended after a DUI.

Incorrect.

They didn't release Mir as a "favor". They fired him from all duties (commentating, IFW, etc.) and then only released him when it was obvious his value wasn't worth his contracted pay. And even so, they still made sure he didn't fight anywhere until his suspension was over.

He still had some name value, just like Wand. What about CroCop? IIRC he was freed from his contract to fight in Japan before the end of his suspension.

they released frank mir

Whatever happened to this?

We go through this conversation every time someone's favorite fighter gets suspended....

He could try to go fight overseas, but there's no way he would (nor would it be a good idea to try).

First, the UFC would sue the crap out of him for breach of contract (ala what they did to Couture, including getting an injunction to prevent him from a scheduled fight at an IFL event) and second, they'd sue the promoter (like the injunction Bellator got against the UFC when they booked Rampage a fight while he was still under Bellator's contract). IF a fight somehow took place, the UFC would sue the ever living shit out of the fighter, the promoter, and any other "responsible" parties (commission if there is one, etc.). They'd not only win all of TJ's pay, they'd win a lot more (probably all revenue from the event, if not above and beyond that).

TJ would basically have to leave the country and not return, plus he'd likely forfeit any assets he has within the US (home, cars, etc.). The UFC could and would tie him up in litigation for the remainder of his fighting years.

So just like every other fighter that's been suspended, TJ ain't fighting anywhere without the UFC's blessing. At the earliest the UFC will make him serve out his suspension (2 years) and then if he had no value they'd consider releasing him. But obviously if he could go get a fight at that point somewhere else, he has value and they wouldn't let that go (unless his contract pays him more than they feel he's worth at that point).

Everyone just face it, TJ isn't fighting for 2 years. And if he pops again (for anything) he's screwed REAL bad.

I’m not sure the point of this post when I said the same thing in 2 sentences.

Also, they can’t sue Rizin. Just fwiw.

Back