Will the UFC keep Rory away from Powerful Southpaws till it's for the title?

NoBiasJustMMA

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
Do you think the UFC will keep Rory away from guys like Hendricks, Lawler and Lombard unless it's for the belt? He's shown issues in striking with southpaws and these guys are likely to stuff most of his takedowns as well so they are difficult match ups for him.

We know that the UFC wants Rory to succeed because it will make them a bunch of money. Canada is really into MMA and since GSP is gone Rory is their great hope at having a Canadian champion.

So does he fight one of these three before getting a title shot or no?

I do think Rory would be willing to fight these guys before a title fight but I don't know if the UFC would offer it to him in fear that he might lose to them and they would lose money.

Rory's style reminds me of karate kumite fighting, very in and out with flurry of combos. He uses distance and his reach very well, I don't see Hendricks and Lombard being much threat with their T-Rex arms.

I think they are keeping him away from Lawler who most likely beats him again.

Rory's style reminds me of karate kumite fighting, very in and out with flurry of combos. He uses distance and his reach very well, I don't see Hendricks and Lombard being much threat with their T-Rex arms.

You can't jab a southpaw well when you aren't a southpaw. Lombard and Hendricks cover a lot of ground while striking despite having short arms. Lombard also likes hand traps where he parries the jab and lands a hard left, he KOed Marquardt by using a hand trap and nailing him if memory serves.

If Lombard violently dismantles Burkman in the first round, I expect Rory to be one of many people he will call out.
The consensus is that Rory is lined up in the summer against Robbie, but WW matchmaking is just too damn fun.

I can't see any financial advantage to have Rory as a champion other than being able to sell fights to Canadians. But even that isn't guaranteed because Rory isn't as charming as GSP.

no one is protecting Rory, look at his last fights. Hendricks Lawler 3 is likely happening and i think Hendircks takes it and then Rory beats Hendricks for the belt. IMO Lawler and Condit and Matt Brown are his only challenges

If the ufc wanted him as champ, he would be getting the next title shot. There is a good chance they do the lawler/Hendricks rubber match next. Even though not many people want to see it.

Nah, the only person the UFC protects is Conor against wrestlers. Lombard v Rory for the next shot after the trilogy everyone wants to see.

Nah, the only person the UFC protects is Conor against wrestlers. Lombard v Rory for the next shot after the trilogy everyone wants to see.

I don't think that first part is true, they have protected fighters before and give them favorable style match ups like Dan Hardy in his lead up to the GSP fight.

I hope they do make Lombard vs Rory and have Lawler vs Hendricks 3. The first 2 fights came down to the last round, that's awesome in title fights, I think 50-45 title fights suck.

it would have to really depend on how many more customers he's adding

TS, i think you should fight it out with this guy. both of you seem to have conspiracies in mind, both of you are looking at the exact seem set of facts, and yet you came up with completely opposite conspiracies.

go sort it out, let us know what you two come up with :) thanks!

You can't jab a southpaw well when you aren't a southpaw. Lombard and Hendricks cover a lot of ground while striking despite having short arms. Lombard also likes hand traps where he parries the jab and lands a hard left, he KOed Marquardt by using a hand trap and nailing him if memory serves.

A little off topic but I have to disagree. Its not that it cant be done, its just that it is not something that is understood or practiced in most boxing gyms, let alone mma gyms. When you watch a high level guy like Andre Ward(Idk if you watch alot of boxing), when he fights southpaws he can land his jab at will, whether his foot is inside his opponents or on the outside. Or Manny Paquiao lands the jab effortlessly on orthodox fighters, which is the same exact concept behind landing your jab on a southpaw. Its just not "common" to see someone who is good at it lol

A little off topic but I have to disagree. Its not that it cant be done, its just that it is not something that is understood or practiced in most boxing gyms, let alone mma gyms. When you watch a high level guy like Andre Ward(Idk if you watch alot of boxing), when he fights southpaws he can land his jab at will, whether his foot is inside his opponents or on the outside. Or Manny Paquiao lands the jab effortlessly on orthodox fighters, which is the same exact concept behind landing your jab on a southpaw. Its just not "common" to see someone who is good at it lol

I shouldn't have said can't but Rory certainly doesn't seem as successful with the jab against southpaws as he is against orthodox fighters.

I haven't in a long time, sort of switched over to watching MMA as I grew older and found boxing less entertaining; I'll watch it if it's on while changing channels but I don't by PPVs.

Back