Will Jones enjoy a reach advantage at HW?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
He has an 84.5" reach. The only other person with a reach that big is Struve. Jones will have an advantage over everyone he fights. Will it give him an advantage like it did at 205?

only if he gets inside to enjoy it, Joe.

NGannou will pound him out like a taxidermied duck. (Or get taken down and beaten)

Why wasn’t the title a statement? FFS Sherdog

He has an 84.5" reach. Jones will have an advantage over everyone he fights.
60fed901-b6ea-42d8-bf36-60c0bdb2ae0c_text.gif

Pretty impressive when you start and end your own thread in the OP.

I mean he has the longest reach in all of combat sports... Depending on who he fights it may not be as long of an advantage. I'd say the main difference he will face in HW is a lot more opponents will be similar height or even taller.

Yeah, but it would be like only a few inches in stead of 6-10 inches at LHW. So the advantage he gets from it will be much smaller.

I think the bigger question is can Jones take the beating at HW. I say this because the guys at LHW generally speaking has a short reach than the HW's, which would close the reach distance to Jon. We all saw how similar tall guys like Gus and Reyes were able to tag him and then the manlet Thiago was putting a number on Jon too.

So can Jon handle the power of these HW's who should have less of a reach disadvantage compared to their LHW counter parts. Because these HW's will be able to land strikes on Jon. The only other thing to consider is that the HW division is pretty damn weak overall so Jon could still do pretty good. I don't think Jon would have moved to HW if the division was stacked like some of these other lower divisions.

Jones isn't much of a boxer with poor power and despite his reach I could see him having serious trouble keeping someone like Ngannou off of him.

Yes.

4.5" over Stipe
1.5" over Ngannou
4.5" over Blaydes
6.5" over Jairzinho
5.5" over Lewis
4.5" over Overeem
4.5" over Volkov
7.5" over JDS
8.5" over Abdurakhimov
7.5" over Sakai
4.5" over Oleinik

He has an 84.5" reach. The only other person with a reach that big is Struve. Jones will have an advantage over everyone he fights. Will it give him an advantage like it did at 205?

Contrary to some of others (read only the first replies), I think I understand what you meant. This asset may prove non-advantageous in practice if someone will be able to simply walk through what he throws without being dazzled.

Let's see how Jon's body behaves at HW (power etc.).

Jon gonna take a beating a HW. His frame will be artificial and will not be able to take the punishment. Pre USADA - "check for eye pokes" - Jones would have stood a chance but not this lumbering guy we see today.

Back