Will Holloway's Lack of Power be an Issue for him at LW?

Sansnom

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What really surprised me about the fight last night is the total lack of power behind Holloway's punches. None of them seemed to even faze Poirier.

On the other hand, everytime Poirier threw something it seemed to hurt Holloway badly. Fourtunately for him, he has a good chin. But anytime he took one of them clean shots from Poirier it looked like he was about to drop.

He still managed to put Poirier in trouble at one point but it was due to Holloway's volume more than his power. Max is so fast with his combinations that Poirier just seemed to be confused more than anything.

Anyway, What do you guys think. Will Holloway's lack of punching power be an issue for him in the LW division?

Yeah, he definitely won't be as dominant as he is at FW. He usually enjoys a size and length advantage at 145 that isn't as pronounced at LW.

Yeah, he definitely won't be as dominant as he is at FW. He usually enjoys a size and length advantage at 145 that isn't as pronounced at LW.
I just can't help but think he would get mauled by Khabib.

Khabib has displayed an iron chin so far and if Holloway couldn't hurt Poirier I can only see one outcome in a possible Khabib fight in the future. A one sided beatdown.

He has short arms for his size too which made it difficult for him to get rolling with his combos like he normally does. Dustin would constantly interrupt his flow with a jab or left hand

I don't think that is really the problem but it doesn't help for sure. His power isn't really special at FW either. He didn't even drop Orega. He just batters people with volume, body shots, and accurate straights to the chin.

It was more so the power and size of Dustin. He couldn't swarm Porier because he was getting hit harder and more often than he's used to. When he actually hard Porier hurt, i think it was the 4th round and looked like he might be able to finish. he had to get on his bike and back off because his face was a mess and Porier made him respect the power.

If he is going to fight at 155 consistently, he needs to be more mobile. He doesn't have the reach advantage like he does at 145

Qucikness, mobility, in and out movement are what he needs to develop at 155

max just needs time to let his body adjust and add proper muscle. he needs some time to do it properly.

I actually thought Holloway stung Dustin quite a few times, every time it looked like Max was gonna take over though, Dustin showed grit and good fight IQ. I was impressed with how Dustin managed his cardio and defence well enough to land big shots and turn the tide.

Holloway punches hard enough. He obviously doesn't have one punch KO power but that's not his style anyway. Dustin mentioned he was hurt by Max in the third round. It's not like Max got dominated he won rounds 3 and 4 and 5 was pretty even...round 2 he was doing well but then got hurt.

If they fight a third time i think Max wins. DP's right hook really surprised max as he wasn't seeing it the first 2 rounds. so I think they will be more prepared in the trilogy

I dont think he lacks of power

If he wants to fight at 155 he should try to add mass and do it right. He looked so soft in there and could benefit from lifting some weights.

What really surprised me about the fight last night is the total lack of power behind Holloway's punches. None of them seemed to even faze Poirier.

On the other hand, everytime Poirier threw something it seemed to hurt Holloway badly. Fourtunately for him, he has a good chin. But anytime he took one of them clean shots from Poirier it looked like he was about to drop.

He still managed to put Poirier in trouble at one point but it was due to Holloway's volume more than his power. Max is so fast with his combinations that Poirier just seemed to be confused more than anything.

Anyway, What do you guys think. Will Holloway's lack of punching power be an issue for him in the LW division?

Lack of punching power? He was stunning Poirier badly in the third and fourth, even fifth rounds.

Lack of punching power? He was stunning Poirier badly in the third and fourth, even fifth rounds.
"Stunning"

Poirier was gassed and Holloway just throws at an extremely high volume. None of those shots really hurt Poirier.

Compare that to everytime Poirier landed a shot. The difference in power was obvious.

His lack of power doesn't help, yeah. It can also be attributed to a shorter reach and having to deal with a harder puncher when your pretty hittable.

I actually thought Holloway stung Dustin quite a few times, every time it looked like Max was gonna take over though, Dustin showed grit and good fight IQ. I was impressed with how Dustin managed his cardio and defence well enough to land big shots and turn the tide.
Yeah , about the fight IQ part. Dude just grabbed Max and hold onto him for dear life at the last minute of the 5th round when he knows he's already winning and doesn't want to risk the barrage that may come from Max

"Stunning"

Poirier was gassed and Holloway just throws at an extremely high volume. None of those shots really hurt Poirier.

Compare that to everytime Poirier landed a shot. The difference in power was obvious.
I don't know what fight you were watching, but Poirier even said himself that he got hurt in a lot of those exchanges. He went for take downs because he was hurt. Matter of fact, if the fight went beyond 5, I think Holloway would have finished him.

I'm not saying he punches harder than Porier, but he isn't "lacking" power at LW either.

Just my opinion but I think his problem is a mix of no real power and not being willing/able to throw in a takedown or more kicks. Most people know now max is just gona try swarm u with a combos so they can try plan for it

only against the elite top 5 fighters like Dustin, Tony, Iaquinta, Gaethje and Khabib

Back