Wide Stance; Good idea or not (Boxing)?

BrokenNose

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Hello!

I've recently been told by one of the trainers at my gym that a wide stance isn't a good thing to have. Less range, and less balance especially getting hit with hooks and whatnot.

Is this true advice? I'm new at this, so I can't tell at all.

Thanks in advance.

-Don

My boxing trainer always used to yell at me for this. My problem was not shuffling/keeping my feet under me. When your stance is wide, its more difficult to keep your balance when moving/under pressure. If your feet are always under you, you can move aside, advance, throw etc.. without compromising your balance.

Thats at least how I thought it. My trainer still yells at me for being to square (coming from a TMA/Muay Thai background its hard).

Hello!

I've recently been told by one of the trainers at my gym that a wide stance isn't a good thing to have. Less range, and less balance especially getting hit with hooks and whatnot.

Is this true advice? I'm new at this, so I can't tell at all.

Thanks in advance.

-Don

If you're new, listen to your damn trainer...lol

But seriously, if you are new at whatever sport, its always good to listen and not question the trainer's mindset/ideas, it may not be always right but until you start figuring out stuff on your own, don't be obstinate.

If you're new, listen to your damn trainer...lol

But seriously, if you are new at whatever sport, its always good to listen and not question the trainer's mindset/ideas, it may not be always right but until you start figuring out stuff on your own, don't be obstinate.

qft.

when i had bum knees, all i could do was box from a wide stance, flat footed. going up on the balls of my feet would put pressure on my knees, so all i could do was stand wide and keep my feet planted. and to be honest, i fought alright from that stance.

normally i dance and shuffle around, but without that option, i was forced to stay planted. it surprised me when i didnt do so bad. Less mobility, but i was able to throw solid shots in range and stay in balance, without overcommitting on my punches. It also provides a good base for upperbody movement. I felt kinda like Mccallum. Its also harder for your opponent to budge you around when you have a wider stance. So theres its pluses and minuses to having a wider set stance.

without visuals, i dont know how wide of a stance you're talking about though. so if you're getting your ass beat, its best to try something new.

Coming from Krav the stance seems to be similar to boxing the only difference is my boxing coach wants my footwork to be lighter and be able to move in and out and shuffle quickly. But still balanced on both similar to Krav. Just listen to your coach since it's an art by itself it is actually good to be balanced and be able to go in and out quickly. Enjoy the training I've been loving it.

It depends. Different style boxers have different stances. Both have benefits. A wider stance makes your punches more powerfull, but hinders your movement and vice versa.
In our gym the coaches teach the same stance in the beginning for everyone, but when time goes by they spend more time guiding members separately, focusing on different things depending on the natural and learned skills each one posesses. But what I've learned, don't question your coach, those boxing trainers can be a pain in the ass if you don't treat them like they're head of state or something...

I feel that sometimes the wider stance can be bad for your footwork. Sometimes I think that I can not push with the opposite leg of the direction I go.

I feel that sometimes the wider stance can be bad for your footwork. Sometimes I think that I can not push with the opposite leg of the direction I go.

Please check out the date of the original post, you are not going to get an answer from people who posted 10 years ago, try posting in current threads until you get your post count up and are able to post your own threads.

Please check out the date of the original post, you are not going to get an answer from people who posted 10 years ago, try posting in current threads until you get your post count up and are able to post your own threads.
Yeah, you are right, man, but the hope dies last, you know. :)

Back