Why you need a spotter

this is why I'll never need a spotter...

workbench_multi_system_450_white.jpg

That is the advantage of those, but they take also have glaring weaknessess in comparison to free weights too.

Free weights work a broader cross section of the same muscle, and also help with coordination/balance.

It's similar to a soccer player who plays on an artificial surface his whole life trying to play on grass/dirt. They quickly find they have portion of their calves and thighs that are weak because their balance and coordination haven't been enough of the equation.

Still an awesome setup though.

That is the advantage of those, but they take also have glaring weaknessess in comparison to free weights too.

Free weights work a broader cross section of the same muscle, and also help with coordination/balance.

It's similar to a soccer player who plays on an artificial surface his whole life trying to play on grass/dirt. They quickly find they have portion of their calves and thighs that are weak because their balance and coordination haven't been enough of the equation.

Still an awesome setup though.

I agree and mix free weights into my routine quite a bit as well...just nice to know when I'm benching or squatting heavy I can go to absolute failure (alone) without any worries.

I agree and mix free weights into my routine quite a bit as well...just nice to know when I'm benching or squatting heavy I can go to absolute failure (alone) without any worries.

no doubt. I'd have one if my house wasn't full of drumsets and amps.

Machines are certainly superior for solo work.

I try to use machines as little as possible - Free weights give you a wider range of movement and allow for the development of core strength and stability. Not that I have anything against people who have home gym sets but you really can't go wrong with free weights, especially when you're just starting out and need to perfect form.

IMO dumb bells over bar bells and machines.

Couldn't even complete one rep. Must have had 275 on the bar.

I try to use machines as little as possible - Free weights give you a wider range of movement and allow for the development of core strength and stability. Not that I have anything against people who have home gym sets but you really can't go wrong with free weights, especially when you're just starting out and need to perfect form.

IMO dumb bells over bar bells and machines.

this is a good way to go especially when you're starting out lifting...I'm 39 so my leverage system suites me very well. when I started lifting at 17-18 I built up my strength strictly with free weights... muscle memory is an amazing thing.

this is a good way to go especially when you're starting out lifting...I'm 39 so my leverage system suites me very well. when I started lifting at 17-18 I built up my strength strictly with free weights... muscle memory is an amazing thing.

Mate I've been in the States for 4 weeks with 1m week before I head hm - I'm banking on muscle memory so I can lose this excess and get size back.

Free weights will always allow for your muscles to develop fully. If your left arm is lacking your right cannot physically compensate for it, it's great! Taking it you've had a lot of peaks and troughs in training over the years? Glad you're still into it!

Funny video. That weight set looks awful, which just makes it that much worse.

I had to do the roll of shame once while benching alone, and it wasn't that difficult. But since then I have invested in a couple saw horses so that the weight can't fall on me, but with a puffed out chest the bar doesn't hit them. Works quite well, and makes me feel a lot better about benching with no one around.

He's lucky that he didn't kill himself. Anyway, I did something similar in my basement a few years ago. I didn't have as much weight on. I only had 45's and 35's on the bar. But, after a few reps, my arms gave out. I wound up rolling the bar down my belly and over my knees, letting it fall to the floor.

My friend in high school lost his brother to this. He was a beast, and wound up dropping like 340 lbs on his chest.

A beast would of survived that, I think.

This just happened to me last week, I just never put clips on the end easy to just slide the weights off. Makes a loud ass noise but better then killing yourself

Roll the weight you dink.

What a jackass.

I bench press without a spotter quite a bit and once I've not had the strength to lift the damn thing anymore. However, the easy solution is to not use locks when you lift alone.

Then just drop the plates to the side if you can't lift it anymore.

the responses in this thread is hilarious

thanks for the laughs boys

Yea, when benching solo it's important to know how to do the roll of shame. Obviously lifting with a spotter is smarter, but if that's not possible, then the roll is your best way out of a tight spot.

EXACTLY. Our coach always used to call it the "Dick Roll". When we asked him why he called it that (Thinking that you looked like a dick when doing it) he responded "Better to crush your dick than to crush your neck".

It's my first instinct now if my spotter isn't paying attention or is isn't ready on a heavy set. This kid needs to learn it.

EXACTLY. Our coach always used to call it the "Dick Roll". When we asked him why he called it that (Thinking that you looked like a dick when doing it) he responded "Better to crush your dick than to crush your neck".

It's my first instinct now if my spotter isn't paying attention or is isn't ready on a heavy set. This kid needs to learn it.

The roll seems like a painful and slow alternative.

Why not just drop the plates to the side?

The roll seems like a painful and slow alternative.

Why not just drop the plates to the side?

Too lazy to pick up the plates :p

Also, I tend to reset and push with my weaker arm first if i'm struggling on a rep. It's a bad tendency, but it's forced me to use collars as a result. Not to mention my meaty thighs cushion the weight from the bar. All those squats in HS really paid off.

Yea, why would you upload a video of yourself on the Internet that makes you look like a complete dumbass?

yeah people have never done that before :rolleyes:

Beat me to it, Henry. Never underestimate people's desire for their "15 Minutes of Fame". Even if they have to look like a complete dumbass to get it.

Look at all the losers who humiliate themselves trying out for X Factor, America's Got Talent etc when it's blatantly obvious they don't have a snowball's chance in a CAT Scanner.

Back