Why we need point-based ranking system in MMA

Are you having a conversation with yourself in this thread?

Someone will undoubtedly suggest this:
http://www.mma-elo.com/ranks.php?list=current

Problem with a chess style ELO ranking system like this for mma is that in chess they play hundreds of matches generating a much larger sample size and stable results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you having a conversation with yourself in this thread?
No, I am doing presentation for you guys and I am trying to spark the interest in looking at MMA from analytical perspective. How about you?

Zec1234's stuff is usually quite interesting, even if it often published in multi-volume sets. Some of his work on MMA stats has been fascinating.
Should I go ahead and read that mountain of words?

Zec1234's stuff is usually quite interesting, even if it often published in multi-volume sets. Some of his work on MMA stats has been fascinating.
Thank you. Sorry for long explanations, but things are never simple. Some people have simple minds and detest anything longer than two sentence. Possible having LOL as a second sentence:rolleyes:

Should I go ahead and read that mountain of words?

a45dc7b1d57820771511e43fdbb8b20a.jpg

Thank you. Sorry for long explanations, but things are never simple. Some people have simple minds and detest anything longer than two sentence. Possible having LOL as a second sentence:rolleyes:

:) Go easy on MikeHunt. He might be the best damn giffer on Sherdog. Dude makes me laugh almost every time he posts.

Strictly following rankings will prevent some compelling match-ups to happen. This sport is riddled by injuries on a consistent basis, so it just won't work out in my opinion.

decision wins don't earn any points, must finish by TKO or SUB to win decisively.

I'd rather see MMA without a points system. The pay structure could be $x to show, $x for finish to encourage fighters to go for the finish instead of coasting to a victory.

If the fight went to a decision, I'd rather see the fight judged as a whole- with no rounds, just one fight.

Criteria for judging would be aggression/ trying to finish the fight and damage- that's it.

Edit: didn't read closely, thought this was about scoring fights, not ranking system.
My solution to that is tournaments. People whine about injuries and such and say that many fights would be cancelled due to injuries, etc.
I say tough shit, make that part of the sport everyone knows well in advance when the fights will be, prepare accordingly.

Last edited:
People were expecting me to post.

Didn't wanna disappoint.

Rankings should be based solely on results, not our subjective notions of what a guy's skill ceiling may be.

Question for you guys.
Is there any factor unrelated to the official fights that should be used to calculate fighters scores?

Back