Why was Bret Hart so popular?

Bret told epic masterpieces in the ring what the fuck else do u want

His feud with HBK and stone cold are two of the greatest ever. I think people forget how good the feud vs stone cold was because of the Montreal screw job. Hart Austin is one of the best stories that wrestling has ever told

Patterson has always said that he wanted Bret to replace him as the main road agent of all the matches. I think he would've dropped the title to Austin at WM14 and taken some time off.

I think Bret was the guy in line to have H's current job. He was like a son to Vince. I wish I knew why Vince recanted on his 20 year contract with Bret. Maybe Hunter was already in his ear.

I think Bret was the guy in line to have H's current job. He was like a son to Vince. I wish I knew why Vince recanted on his 20 year contract with Bret. Maybe Hunter was already in his ear.
The entire Kliq was probably burying Bret behind his back to Vince, every chance they got. That, along with Bret's price tag, probably was enough for Vince to let Bret go.
In retrospect, it would have made more sense to keep Bret, have HBK job to him at SS, have Bret go over on Shamrock at RR in a controversial win, then have Austin win the rematch at Mania 14, all the while Bret doing his anti-American gimmick. The hype going into Mania wouldve been unreal. Then Bret can take a diminished role in the company, eventually turn face, and become something similar to what Trips became.

Last edited:
Would Owen be alive if Bret had still been there in 99? :eek:

Would Owen be alive if Bret had still been there in 99? :eek:
Bret's presence wouldnt have been a deterent to some roadie not doing his job. It could have just as easily been Sting, or any other guy in the business who takes risks for the sake of art.

Bret's presence wouldnt have been a deterent to some roadie not doing his job. It could have just as easily been Sting, or any other guy in the business who takes risks for the sake of art.
Sting always used a typical carabiner whereas Owen's had a quick release button so he could drop while dangling a few feet above the ring for comedic effect.

Back when I was a kid I was a huge Bret Hart fan. I watched from the end of his Hart Foundation tag team days up until his departure from WWF. Thinking back on it, I can't really tell you why I was a fan. He didn't really have good mic skills or an entertaining personality. He didn't have the "it" factor that guys like Shawn Michaels, Stone Cold, The Rock etc had.

He just walked out there in his purple get up to some decent entrance music, put some glasses on a kid in the front row, shook his shoulder pad tassels around on his leather jacket, said a couple of normal every day lines on the mic, laid an ass whooping on guys with some pretty solid technical wrestling skills and then walked out and that was it.

After I watched Wrestling with Shadows I remember thinking I respect the hell out of Bret as a man and a father, but I'd never want to hang out with him. He sort of reminded me of a good Christian who does all the right things but they're sort of annoying and off putting to where you just don't really want to be around them.

As a kid he was one of my favorites but now I can't really explain why.
Purple?
Are you sure you're not thinking of Men On A Mission?

Shawn was always better its one of the reasons Bret was always pissed.

Anyway TS the it factor that made him awesome is that he had awesome match after awesome match after awesome match with that classic wwf roster. Other than Shawn I have never seen a dude as good in the ring. Bret made shit feel real , had great timing , sold proper and deserves to be a legend no matter how you come from it.

His promos werent terrible either. He sounded like an angry white dad from the burbs but he got his message across you know what he was saying why he was mad and it did have a genuine feel to it

Boyhood dream
Making Austin pass out
the screw job
Going heel and trashing murica after being a face forever.
The Summerslam match with perfect
The throw away match with hakushi

Everything Bret did was gold.

Actin like all he did was shake his tits and put glasses on kids jesus christ

Who was better at the 1992 Survivor Series match? Shawn or Bret?

Always shawn. Bret was damn good but he didnt connect with me the way hbk did for whatever reason.

I couldnt tell you how a little kid gets into a cocky mulleted dangly earing wearing chip and dale dancer but I thought he was the best. I wasnt even mad about netty either I thought he should be champ and you cant be champ in a tag team

Always shawn. Bret was damn good but he didnt connect with me the way hbk did for whatever reason.

I couldnt tell you how a little kid gets into a cocky mulleted dangly earing wearing chip and dale dancer but I thought he was the best. I wasnt even mad about netty either I thought he should be champ and you cant be champ in a tag team
Shawn was never as over as Bret. That's post-Montreal Screwjob WWE propaganda that perpetuates to this day. Bret was the most over guy on the roster 92-97. After that, SCSA took the reigns. I've literally never met anyone who grew up watching wrestling in 90's(or any other period), claim Shawn was their favorite wrestler.

As far as their in-ring work, they had conflicting styles, but both are generally held in very high regard by their contemporaries.

Bret was as good as anyone in the business could be. He could work the mic. Hardly anyone on his level in terms or work rate, being a ring general with great ring psychology. Only millenial douche bags think Bret isn't top 5 of all time.

In an era of cartoon character gimmicks Bret was one of the early guys (not exclusively but there weren't many) whose gimmick was basically an exaggerated version of themselves. He was real and it took the entire kliq to bury him in the E.

Bret was as good as anyone in the business could be. He could work the mic. Hardly anyone on his level in terms or work rate, being a ring general with great ring psychology. Only millenial douche bags think Bret isn't top 5 of all time.

In an era of cartoon character gimmicks Bret was one of the early guys (not exclusively but there weren't many) whose gimmick was basically an exaggerated version of themselves. He was real and it took the entire kliq to bury him in the E.
Qft.

Shawn was not in his final form in 92. Wasn't until 95 that Shawn was in his prime, Bret was already there in 92.

I stIill think in their primes Bret was better, but Shawn's comeback and second career puts him over Bret all time.

Bret was a great worker. He made Russian leg sweeps look good. Bret's punches looked hard and he could take a finished and make it look like gold.

Shawn was never as over as Bret. That's post-Montreal Screwjob WWE propaganda that perpetuates to this day. Bret was the most over guy on the roster 92-97. After that, SCSA took the reigns. I've literally never met anyone who grew up watching wrestling in 90's(or any other period), claim Shawn was their favorite wrestler.

As far as their in-ring work, they had conflicting styles, but both are generally held in very high regard by their contemporaries.

You must live in Canada.

You must live in Canada.
Nope. Just a 90's kid who grew up watching wrestling. From what I remember, in the early-mid 90's, there Hogan/Warrior/Bret/Taker marks. By the late 90's, it was NWO/SCSA/Rock/etc. I don't remember Shawn ever having serious appeal to marks during his first run. He always worked better as a heel IMO.

Back