Why was Ben Saunders cut?

Soufian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The guy was 4-3 with 2 losses against Fitch and Swick who fought in a title eliminator against Hardy after that.
Did Hallman completely outclass Saunders? Was there something else, or was there no specific reason for the release?
I'd like to see him back after he racks up a few more wins in Bellator

Ben's a sherdogger, maybe he can provide some input.

They were being really harsh with the cutting around that time iirc, and basically were cutting people with 2 consecutive losses as a rule.

It was bullshit though, especially as he took the Fitch fight on short notice when no one else would.

Far as I know he was just cut after the two losses in a row. Hallman outgrappled him pretty thoroughly if memory serves. The Fitch fight was a last minute acceptence where Fitch's opponent got injured and Saunders had another fight on the same card but that bout got scrapped so he could fight Fitch. May be harsh to cut him, but it's not uncommon or anyting.

I hated when they cut Saunders. He is far too exciting of a fighter to have been cut that easily.

I think Ben said in one of Bloodstain Lane's vlogs that they told him to improve his wrestling. Hallmann was able to pretty much just clinch/wrestlfuck him for 3 rounds iirc.

Was wondering that myself TS. A very like-able guy and always exciting. Tough loss recently in bellator wont help his case but maybe one day he could sneak back in. Can UFC alums go on TUF, he could prolly win...

They were being really harsh with the cutting around that time iirc, and basically were cutting people with 2 consecutive losses as a rule.

It was bullshit though, especially as he took the Fitch fight on short notice when no one else would.

Agreed. Dana makes a big deal about putting on exciting fights, but then cuts (or allows to be cut) exciting fighters who step up when the company needs them.

One thing I will say is that Saunders' wrestling is suspect and that could be a serious problem in a division stacked with great wrestlers.

Think Dana once said they felt he needed to work on some things and needed seasoning.

Was wondering that myself TS. A very like-able guy and always exciting. Tough loss recently in bellator wont help his case but maybe one day he could sneak back in. Can UFC alums go on TUF, he could prolly win...

He was on Season 6 of TUF.

I'd like to see him back. Taking a fight with Fitch on short notice takes some brass ones. Come to think of it, he was supposed to fight Ellenberger, and that would have been a good fight.

as been mentioned weren't as lenient then. and i believe dana said he would be back with a few wins and improved ground game.

Far as I know he was just cut after the two losses in a row. Hallman outgrappled him pretty thoroughly if memory serves. The Fitch fight was a last minute acceptence where Fitch's opponent got injured and Saunders had another fight on the same card but that bout got scrapped so he could fight Fitch. May be harsh to cut him, but it's not uncommon or anyting.

fitch was supposed to fight alves but alves had swelling in the brain if iirc so he wasnt cleared and ben took the fight on 2-3 weeks notice, in the hallman fight it was literally hallman just controlling him for 15 minutes

Think Dana once said they felt he needed to work on some things and needed seasoning.

Seasoning you say?

0.jpg

It may take Saunders some time to get back to the UFC. He is 5 - 2 in Bellator but the problem is that it seems like if you are not fighting in a tournament and winning then you don't get booked for many fights.

I am not sure when the next WW tourney will happen and who knows if Saunders will compete in that tournament. Also, I haven't heard any announcement of an upcoming fight for him.

It is incredible that he has fought 7 times since 2011.

Maybe 2013 will be his year.

I think Hallman pulled a lay n pray decision and they cut him after that loss

I thought it was a bad decision to cut him as well. He was a good fighter that was getting better IMO...always came to fight and wasn't afraid to stand and trade.

Saunders has always been a favorite of mine. i do like to see him in bellator though. less wrestlers.

The dude could be a potent WW if he had decent wrestling/grappling

remember that KO on Davis? What a brutal knee in the muay thai clinch

Back