Why the doom and gloom for DC? Cain got destroyed and came back.

Shammon

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Not sure why a lot of people are dismissing DC from ever competing for a title ever again.

His partner Cain got his lights put out in embarrassing fashion, yet came back to destroy JDS twice.

DC lost, yes, but he was never in any sort of danger, and he gave it to Jones for 3 rounds. Also, he's not exactly a veteran of the sport, he's still relatively new to the fight game and capable of adding more to his repertoire.

I for one would like to see a rematch if DC wins his next 2 fights and Jones manages to take care of Gus and/or Rumble.

Cain got Ko'd by a knockout artist early on in the fight. It wasn't a fluke by any means, but the fight didn't last long enough to really take place. You knew that a lot of different things could happen if it took place again.

Cormier got beat at his own game. He got beat at what he is best at. No one expected Cormier to dominate with his striking when Jones kicks, punches, and elbows well with great reach. Cormier pretty much showed that he simply doesn't have the skill set to ever be able to beat Jones.

With Cain you knew that they could fight again, and he could potentially use his wrestling and make it a different fight. We know that can't and won't happen with Cormier now. Jones knows it, and most of all Cormier knows it.

The problem is that DC is very much an old man who has already had a full amateur wrestling career prior to MMA and so a comeback could be cut short simply through way too much wear and tear. And furthermore, if he could come back, he could have what many MMA fans would call a great career but his chances of beating Jones in a rematch really would not be any more than a puncher's chance if even that.

And that is why this is so devastating for Cormier and those who wanted to see him finally be the bride and not the bridesmaid.

Cain was 20 something. DC is about to be 36 and he's got two cushy jobs as an anchor and wrestling coach at AKA. Plus you have to wonder how emotionally draining his entire career has been.
Wouldn't mind a rematch, just don't expect an entirely different, hungrier DC from their last fight.

Cain didn't get destroyed. He was injured anyways so the first fight doesn't even count.

And I don't want to hear about JDS and his creatine.

No doom and gloom from me. He'll be fine, but I understand why there would be since Jones is still young, and DC is already past his best physical days.

It's concerning because how long can a guy really go with 1 kidney whos headed to his late 30s. It'd be awesome if DC flips off father time and keeps fighting. Could happen.

DC is also looking to have knee surgery in the near future which would most likely sideline him for another 9-12 months - possibly longer.

That's very expensive for a guy who's already in his upper 30s.

I wouldn't say I personally have a "gloom and doom" attitude about DC. He's a fantastic fighter, but I don't think he's a great matchup for Jones.

If he can't consistently win in close against Jones, he can't beat him because that's where he absolutely needs the fight to take place. It's really hard to give that kind of size advantage to someone as skilled as Jones. That's why Gus has by far given him his toughest fight.

Cain got Ko'd by a knockout artist early on in the fight. It wasn't a fluke by any means, but the fight didn't last long enough to really take place. You knew that a lot of different things could happen if it took place again.

Cormier got beat at his own game. He got beat at what he is best at. No one expected Cormier to dominate with his striking when Jones kicks, punches, and elbows well with great reach. Cormier pretty much showed that he simply doesn't have the skill set to ever be able to beat Jones.

With Cain you knew that they could fight again, and he could potentially use his wrestling and make it a different fight. We know that can't and won't happen with Cormier now. Jones knows it, and most of all Cormier knows it.

You make some good points but I have to wonder if Rockhold was telling the truth when he said DC wasn't fighting up to his potential.

There were a lot of mistakes made by DC that harmed him I think, such as taking off the 4th round, expending a huge amount of energy for a slam in the 5th, etc.

Even with slightly better conditioning and a more intelligent approach, the fight might be more interesting the second time around.

Also, if not DC, then who is left to fight? (If Jones happens to take out Gus and Rumble). If DC puts a couple of impressive wins together (Rashad and OSP for example), then the UFC could easily produce a "redemption" themed comeback for DC"s title fight.

DC is old (in MMA years) & has a history of injuries. On top of that, this loss was probably emotionally draining for him considering his beef with Jon. Not to mention he got beaten at his own game by a man he said he would embarrass.

These have to be rough times for DC. Feel bad for the guy 😪.

Cain was 20 something. DC is about to be 36 and he's got two cushy jobs as an anchor and wrestling coach at AKA. Plus you have to wonder how emotionally draining his entire career has been.
Wouldn't mind a rematch, just don't expect an entirely different, hungrier DC from their last fight.

At this point of Cormier does not genuinely believe he can win a rematch I'm not sure he's gonna wanna waste any more time and energy with this sport considering the comfortable jobs he already has lined up.

DC got outclassed at his own game for 25 minutes.

Cain got KO'd by a shot that landed behind the ear from a KO artist.

About as different as defeats can possibly go.

This here is pretty much it.

Even though he's still got a few more years in his career. I don't see DC becoming the next LHW champ.

DC is also looking to have knee surgery in the near future which would most likely sideline him for another 9-12 months - possibly longer.

That's very expensive for a guy who's already in his upper 30s.

Hmm, that might bode well for DC, if anything. We don't know how much his lingering knee injury could have affected his performance. Maybe fixing his ACL (or whatever it was) makes him a fitter fighter overall.

I agree, I think the biggest factor in the fight was Cormier gassing. The fight was a lot closer than a lot of people are acting. Rounds 1-3 were all very close and arguably could have gone either way. Cormier gassed and gave away rd 4 and was more competitive but lost the 5th. People act like it was a domination by Jones, but Cormier was landing a LOT of nasty upper cuts and short hooks from the clinch and was even landing better from a distance than I thought he would. The biggest surprise to me was a lack of mixing his wrestling in with striking.

I think if Cormier would change his game plan a bit then he could definitely win. One big thing that I think was a mistake was that he didn't even threaten with his wrestling in this fight for the first few rounds. If he would have at least gave the appearance of threatening with his wrestling then I feel like he could have had more success striking and wrestling. People say that Jones outwrestled Cormier, which he did, but consider that Cormier didn't try wrestling when he was fresh. Jones took him down when he was already gassed. In his past fights, Cormier was very effective with mixing striking and wrestling and in this fight he mostly focused on striking until it was too late.

Ultimately, though, Cormier will need a better gas tank. He knows JJ now, knows that he is human, and knows he can have success striking with him and can take him down (though JJ is a better wrestler than DC thought, obviously). I think a rematch would be good if Cormier isn't completely broken and if he his hungry for the rematch.

Hmm, that might bode well for DC, if anything. We don't know how much his lingering knee injury could have affected his performance. Maybe fixing his ACL (or whatever it was) makes him a fitter fighter overall.

Don't think it will matter since it still would not be enough to fix so much of the damage he has taken from all his MMA and wrestling bouts. Let's be sure not to estimate how much his wrestling career from high school through the Olympics fucked up his body before he even thought of doing cage fighting. And surgeries are still not advanced enough to fix the fact that he has the most disadvantageous body type there is for fighting Jones.

Don't think it will matter since it still would not be enough to fix so much of the damage he has taken from all his MMA and wrestling bouts. Let's be sure not to estimate how much his wrestling career from high school through the Olympics fucked up his body before he even thought of doing cage fighting. And surgeries are still not advanced enough to fix the fact that he has the most disadvantageous body type there is for fighting Jones.

Well, we don't know what sort of lingering injuries he's currently nursing but we do know that he said one of his knees had a torn ligament or something like that. It's almost impossible to wrestle on shaky knees so I'd imagine that it would help at least somewhat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back