• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Why the CM Punk love?

No, these things don't just happen, like it's an inevitable destiny. It was a perfect storm with Punk, as he had a real life contract issue going on with the WWE at the time. I think you're underselling just how great of an angle that was. It literally brought old AE fans back, had people actually buying into it being a shoot(in what? 2011? That's crazy) and nothing he did before that made those kind of waves. Was he always decent on the mic? Yeah, but nobody remembers anything but the pipe bomb. "The hardcores" go crazy over everything their darlings do. That moment was WAY bigger than them blowing smoke up one of their darling's asses, like they do 24/7 whenever someone they like does something moderately successful. It doesn't matter that they loved him. This was bigger than them. That's the point. It was one of greatest angles they've done since the AE, and he would not who he is today without it.

He didn't have a real contract issue with WWE at the time. He re-upped with WWE before that storyline started. He literally had a normal negotiation with WWE that any wrestler would have had, but the Meltzers of the world worked readers with hyper sensationalism and clickbait.

It didn't bring any fans back. Ratings stayed completely stagnant.

Punk was being built up for another main event run regardless of the pipe bomb going viral or not, hence the reason the promo even happened to begin with. There's also a reason he was being built up for another main event run, because the guy was already established as a main event talent.

Seen it, just never came close to feeling it.

His MMA stint reinforced his lameness with a testicle-lacking display.

For starters, no, CM Punk does not hit those levels without that moment. Levels that go beyond pro-wrestling, and make someone a legit star. For instance, I guarantee you that more people know of CM Punk, as opposed to Daniel Bryan. That "pipe bomb" is more valuable than a Wrestlemania main event Championship victory.

As for Nak, give it a rest. If people had said that he'd come in and have some mild success, fill some holes in the roster, and generally be a decent hand, I wouldn't have said shit. The bar for Nak when he came in was MEGA SUPERSTAR CHAMPION, or bust. You know it, and I know it. Shit, you can read the timeline, with all the initial hype...and all the bargaining after each loss and shitty angle, in that legendary thread I made. Hence, why I laughed(and continue to laugh), at the people who thought this sloppy ass wrestler who can't speak a lick of English, was gonna be anything more than what he is today. A mid-card journeyman. He sunk, bruh....he sunk. A glorified Tajiri, at best. You need to come to terms with that.
you urself acknowledge how absurd it is this angle is getting over
It literally brought old AE fans back, had people actually buying into it being a shoot(in what? 2011? That's crazy)

Exactly. This was the opposite of novel. Disgruntled wrestler threatening to leave.

I’ll be succinct. The reason why the same story that’s happened over and over got over is because of punk.

Last edited:
shaquille-o-neal-athlete.gif
He didn't have a real contract issue with WWE at the time. He re-upped with WWE before that storyline started. He literally had a normal negotiation with WWE that any wrestler would have had, but the Meltzers of the world worked readers with hyper sensationalism and clickbait.

It didn't bring any fans back. Ratings stayed completely stagnant.

Punk was being built up for another main event run regardless of the pipe bomb going viral or not, hence the reason the promo even happened to begin with. There's also a reason he was being built up for another main event run, because the guy was already established as a main event talent.
If his brain was gasoline it wouldn’t be enough to power an ants motorcycle across the perimeter of a penny!
3yE.gif

yeah he was the rebel figure in WWE, succeeding when it seemed they didnt want him too. Represented the anti-cena-centric WWE at the time.
but he had legendary matches/runs in indies like ROH before WWE. His feuds with Raven, Samoa Joe etc. He is actually a really good in ring story teller too.

in WWE he represented that mark crowd that knew that, plus was over the cena bullshit
since then, hes kinda been outted as an utter wanker.

Im on team elite in AEW, they fucking built the place that punk came back to shit on. without htem he would be still writting some bullshit comics that no one reads.

im having a bet of how long until he says or does something stupid again. Does he go a year? or only until the end of the year?

Miz had one reign unless im mistaken. Same with ziggler. To me there’s a significant difference when the company puts the belt on you a second time.

The pipe bomb worked because punk was
Over and had developed his anti establishment character already. And people saw him as a main eventer. Of course the pipe bomb helped to propel him. You look at things in absolutes too much. Nak swim or sink for examples, he did neither. If you want to say punk was an upper tier mid carder at that point he would be at the very top of that list. Then he propelled himself to main event with his mic skills, including pipe bombs. Think about how
Many people have tried their own pipe bombs before and after. From the Jeff Jarretts to the zigglers. You are trying to make it sound like he’s only popular and over cuz of one moment.
Miz has had at least two reigns and unlike Punk has actually main evented WM.

Miz has had at least two reigns and unlike Punk has actually main evented WM.
I forgot about his second reign, the thunderdome era is a bit of a blur. His second reign was a week and just a story device in another feud. Different than carrying the title and defending at ppvs. I’ll give him his first reign tho. My point is that punk, in 2011, was already elevated above the Miz.

I think some of it is because he was part of that first generation of indy stars that were grinding it out and helping to rebuild an industry after ECW and WCW went down, he represented the new vision of what those early internet fans wanted the rasslin business to become and he's never really wavered from that stance
He joined the WWE but he never really "sold out" and became a musclehead sports entertainer, even as part of the evil empire he was still the same rebel that the fans wanted to believe in

Im not a fan of Punk but I think I understand his place in history

Or maybe Im completely fucking wrong, first time for everything

Everything he says and does related to pro-wrestling makes sense... you can watch him and be drawn in rather than turned off by 15 phony things. And he is an all time great promo.

Plus he has an edge because he's a real life prick in some ways... a quality Brock Lesnar and Randy Orton share, for example. Makes it easier to get into a conflict when you know that everyone really isn't best friends and there could be some genuine feelings involved.

You hit the nail on the head. WWE was also perfect in the way they brought him up in the way they let him keep hold of those internet fans.

Punk rode a perfect wave into the WWE. He was just coming off his huge feud and Meltzer 5 star match with Samoa Joe in ROH and over the previous year became the biggest name on the indies. It was a big deal at the time for an ROH guy to get a WWE contract, cause it wasn't as common at that point like it became later and Punk was the biggest name in ROH at the time.

WWE also brought him up perfectly. They didn't change his name or his gimmick like they would with most guys. Had him sit in OVW for a year to learn their style and when they brought him to the big show they had him on their ECW brand for a year to develop in front of WWE crowds and when they would get him peaks on the main show it was in things like teaming with Triple H and Shawn Michaels at Survivor Series getting the rub from them. It helped a lot that he killed it on the mic too and could work either as a face or a heel and still be able to work a crowd on the microphone.

He was a guy that showed how WWE's developmental system can be amazing for a guy who comes in with a fan base already and they treated him like they treated guys in the 90's and just let him do his thing on the mic. Punk getting that luxury that other guys didn't helped him immensely with keeping that connection to his internet audience cause he still got to look like the rebel fighting the evil corporate giant while cashing millions of dollars worth of checks from the evil corporate giant lol
Sometimes I wonder if I waste my time on here and then I see stuff like this and I know I'm in league with sages.

A hero should be three things: inspirational, aspirational, and relatable.

Hogan made us believe in doing our homework, training hard, and loving the US of A, brother. We wanted to lift weights and take vitamins to be like him. And, in Reagan's America, we all thought like him.

Austin? We were pissed at Vince (kinda.) We didn't like being told what to do. We hated authority. So did he. And he fought and won. And he did it with two knee braces and a zipper in his neck.

Finally, there was Punk. He knew "good wrestling" and he knew we thought we did too. He told the office that there's more to the business than selling merch to kids. We agreed. He was uncompromising in a way most of us only wish we could be. And he stuck to his principles/character ever since. Did it all looking like a Waffle House fry cook.

I'm not a big Punk guy. Never was. But like D'Lo said, "Y'all better recognize."

Last edited:
Good but we all missed important detail. He pile drove John Chaina!

Back