Why that specific spinning elbow landed(esp. so cleanly). The setup.

Dart Feld

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Jon set it up instead of throwing it at a whim.

Leg tap to threaten with a single leg feint(causes Gus to lower his head and bring his hands down in anticipation to defend). It helps with accuracy as well because he knows where his opponent's head will be this way.

It's how he landed it on O'Brien as well which also rocked his opponent. It made the difference here. For comparison

8.gif

11.gif

jones-100.gif

Yeah, it's well trained. JBJ make good use of his elbows.
Gus should have looked more into it. Or he did, but during the fight, well...

John's elbows are his best striking weapon, imo. Combined with knee and oblique kicks and long reach, he really is the best striker in the division. Won a 5 round war with Gus that never really went to the ground. Outstruck Machida (round 2).

Mike Winklejohn is an awesome striking coach! What a beautiful move.

It's how he lands it on everybody, basically.

See Bader, for most famous example.

Somehow simple, but deadly as hell.

I knew about the setup because Jones himself has stated it in an interview. What amazed me is that Gus didn't fall for it, per say, as he happened to be going low with a jab to the body and Jones still connected. You have to keep your head low until he is done spinning or anticipate and defend accordingly.

Gus also got pretty lazy with that jab. Not blaming him, quite sure he was pretty tired, but look at that .gif. Gus threw a lazy jab, head down, left his head out there after the jab. At that moment in time, JBJ could have hit Gus with any strike he wanted to. He could have went for that standing guillotine if he wanted. Woukd have probably been a bad idea, but he could have went for it.

Not taking anything from Jones, he landed the strike. Did it when he had to. Perfect strike at the perfect time, and changed the course of the fight. Won a round that he was clearly losing.

Great move, great fight.

It's how he lands it on everybody, basically.

See Bader, for most famous example.

Somehow simple, but deadly as hell.

It is his best set up for the strike. He does have another though, against the clinch against the cage. He'll bring his hands up and position in a sort of loose single collar tie, slowly bring the hand down from the collar, and in one motion break from the clinch + spin for the elbow. With the cage and his hand positioning keeping the opponent where he wants them to be for the elbow to land.

11.gif

Opponents start getting wise to that starting with Rampage surprisingly. He was the first to duck it fairly easily despite the cage setup. He still got hit with one clean but avoided 2 or three.

jones8.jpg

Jon Jones a master of the unconventional, conventional boxing , not so much

I knew about the setup because Jones himself has stated it in an interview. What amazed me is that Gus didn't fall for it, per say, as he happened to be going low with a jab to the body and Jones still connected. You have to keep your head low until he is done spinning or anticipate and defend accordingly.

Gus also got pretty lazy with that jab. Not blaming him, quite sure he was pretty tired, but look at that .gif. Gus threw a lazy jab, head down, left his head out there after the jab. At that moment in time, JBJ could have hit Gus with any strike he wanted to. He could have went for that standing guillotine if he wanted. Woukd have probably been a bad idea, but he could have went for it.

Not taking anything from Jones, he landed the strike. Did it when he had to. Perfect strike at the perfect time, and changed the course of the fight. Won a round that he was clearly losing.

Great move, great fight.

True, I didn't take into account Gus' positioning before the feint. Alexander did himself no favors with that.

Gus didn't fire off many single jabs to the body during the fight. Most were followed by level changes. I believe he was going to follow up with something but the feint came immediately after the jab was at the end of its extension.

it's especially impressive if you consider he can't practice these techniques properly during training and he did not get to use them on such a large opponent before this fight as well

It was supposed to be "Bonnar" as example, obviously.

Derp.

Jones clearly intended to fake the single and throw the elbow, but the effectiveness was more a result of it conveniently countering Gus's jab to the body.

Either way, well timed and devastating. Seeing it land live, to the top of the head, I thought Gus was going to get finished.

Back