Why Such Little Interest in Cruiserweight Division

Cruiserweight used to mean catch weight if my grandfather is to be believed.

I heard cruiserweight is a military term which means a stripped down heavy vehicle. Like how they would strip a large battleship of a lot of its unnecessary parts to make it go faster ... almost like some kind of light heavyweight or something.

How do you come up with your bullshit? Huck, Hernandez, Wlodarczyk, Lebedev, Chakhiev, Masternak, Afolabi or Arslan - which of those guys looks "too fat or our of shape to fight at light heavyweight," then? These guys would never have been light heavyweights in years gone by - decades ago they'd have been competing in the heavyweight division.

Yes, with some of these guys it just seems like cruiserweight is just a temporary division to fight at before moving to heavyweight.

Yes, with some of these guys it just seems like cruiserweight is just a temporary division to fight at before moving to heavyweight.

moving up in weight only occurs in the cruiserweight divison .

Farfan is right, I've never seen any other fighter grow out of his weight class.

No interest from casuals because there isn't a CW who gets hype from his promoter.
The last great CW match in Americas was Adamek-Cunningham, Adamek moved the needle.

Fast Eddie was getting some hype, but shit the bed against Mchunu.

Flores has his name out there do to working for NBCSN, maybe he signs a deal with Main Events and gets a shot on tv.
Don't know if he has a tv friendly style.

If there was an athletic and explosive champ it's be your favorite division.

"Hopkins is my hero" lmao so sad
You got some sort of problem with Hopkins?

BTW- its be? Take your ghetto slang somewhere else.

Last edited:
CW for me is for 200lbs guys unable to carry their punch up to HW. And the way guys cut weight these days, and top LHW wanting to move up would just move to circa 210lbs. Sure Nathan Cleverly et al would have no problem in doing so. CW at best is a place for the Haye's/Holyfield's of this world to polish up their skills prior to moving up a division where some actual contenders fight. Marciano/Dempsey/Louis/Tunney et al would have all been able to take on the HW's of today, but the guys currently in CW now would have been nowhere then and have to make do with the CW division wasteland now.

Cruiserweights popularity is tied to Heavyweights

Just like 140 & 147 are linked

In addition to good fights, you wanna see these guys move up and challenge the the big dog
but we all know the CW's are too small to fight Wlad, maybe if the HW champ was smaller things would be different

So who are the cruiserweights that are "too fat or out of shape to fight at light heavyweight" then?

Always wondered this myself, though never had a great interest in it either.

Apparently neither did Roy Jones Jr on his way to Heavyweight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back