• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

why Stipe doesn't train submissions ?

killer spider

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
seriously he could have finished alot of his fights Early and saved himself from getting brain damage

Last edited:
because he knocks people out better

I’m guessing Stipe didn’t make it from wrestling to striking without swinging by a submission class a time or two.

He does train submissions. One of his coaches (Pablo Castro) is for BJJ, and Stipe's a purple belt. But offensive BJJ is just not his preference. He's half-heartedly attempted a few submissions in his time — like the RNC position against Ngannou at the end of the second round last time they fought. But he trusts his fists more, and I don't blame him.

SMH....

At thinking Stipe doesnt train submissions ..

Yeah the champion of the world..never worked submissions before...

Theres litterally footage in the lead up to the 3rd cormier fight countdown show of him working jiujitsu and subs....

He just prefers to strike and wrestle

Show us the GD source that says he doesn't train subs! Betting you can't, because he does.
<LikeReally5>

A better question would be why do no HW's even attempt submissions in their fights any more? Seriously, every single HW these days is all about the fists and even if they do grapple it's about control and GnP instead of the sub. Werdum and Oleinik are the two exceptions to the overwhelming rule here and I find it disheartening that a guy like Blaydes, with his excellent rasslin' and top control, hasn't even attempted a submission in his UFC career! For me it's as clear an example of the devolution of the HW division as you're likely to find.

Submissions still work, guys!

Well he probably does but going for GnP at HW is safer and easier.
Submissions could tire his arms out or make him lose position. If he loses position and gets mounted by another HW it's basically game over.

seriously he could have finished alot of his fights Early and saved himself from getting brain damage
Remember that Overeem was a few punches away from finishing Stipe but decided to go for a Guillotine, which allowed Stipe to recover, get up, and eventually KO Overeem.

There are risks in going for submissions

A better question would be why do no HW's even attempt submissions in their fights any more? Seriously, every single HW these days is all about the fists and even if they do grapple it's about control and GnP instead of the sub. Werdum and Oleinik are the two exceptions to the overwhelming rule here and I find it disheartening that a guy like Blaydes, with his excellent rasslin' and top control, hasn't even attempted a submission in his UFC career! For me it's as clear an example of the devolution of the HW division as you're likely to find.

Submissions still work, guys!
my guess is that it's too dangerous. lose the sub, lose positioning and then you have a 230+ lb monster throwing his elbows and fists at you with gravity giving a nice helping hand. seems much healthier to not play that game

Do you have a source that says he doesn't train submissions? I'm suspect my man.

SMH....

At thinking Stipe doesnt train submissions ..

Yeah the champion of the world..never worked submissions before...

Theres litterally footage in the lead up to the 3rd cormier fight countdown show of him working jiujitsu and subs....

He just prefers to strike and wrestle
Yes he may train them but he doesn't use them in fights. He has 0 submission wins. I think that's what this post was originally intended to ask, why he doesn't use submissions when he does use offensive grappling.

my guess is that it's too dangerous. lose the sub, lose positioning and then you have a 230+ lb monster throwing his elbows and fists at you with gravity giving a nice helping hand. seems much healthier to not play that game

You say more dangerous, I say more efficient.

lesnartaps_medium.gif

82286747.gif

prLktsW.gif

CompleteMessyLark-size_restricted.gif

Antonio-Rodrigo-Nogueira-Armbars-Dave-Herman-UFC-1532.gif

24mew6r_jpg.gif

These guys today don't even go for submissions and they're less complete because of it. A greater focus on this side of the game (offensive submissions) in training would do wonders for their performances inside the Octagon, but it seems they'd rather just stick to what they know at HW (stand n' bang period) and not deviate from the script/evolve AT ALL. With a guy like Francis as the champ now, I can only hope they start reevaluating the just swing approach they've all become so fond of over the past 6 years or so.

Back