• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why Romero Beat Costa (Statistics)

Most of Yoel's significant strikes landing were jabs later in the fight.

Costa's were mostly huge brain blasting and rib crushing bombs.

Most of Yoel's significant strikes landing were jabs.

Costa's were mostly huge brain blasting and rib crushing bombs.

I seriously think that the only thing that stopped Yoel from getting completely KO'd was his god tier chin.. because skill certainly did not help him there. You are not supposed to take that many hits to the chin from a dude like COsta lol

do you really feel costa did more damage in any round but round 1, the guy was getting rocked consistently in the 2nd and 3rd from counter strikes while also being out struck in pure numbers. Yoel landed the more damaging strikes in round 2 and 3 and landed more strikes, while also landing more strikes to the most important region the head.
Lol at Costa getting “rocked consistently” in round 2. Not at all what happened. Costa easily took the first 2 rounds

I kid you not i once did a jokey jab at a guy, not even 50%, and his lip exploded. So i never put stock into if someones lip is huge after a fight.. ofcourse its going to be huge if you take a hit from these big dudes.

Extremely close fight. I had money on Yoel but hard to complain about the decision. Sig strike stats are useless btw

I kid you not i once did a jokey jab at a guy, not even 50%, and his lip exploded. So i never put stock into if someones lip is huge after a fight.. ofcourse its going to be huge if you take a hit from these big dudes.
that's a fair point and sometimes fighters get ko'd by punches that make no sense. For instance stipe get's ko'd by cormier but eats massive punches from ngannou like nothing. Still have to judge the fight as you see it, yeah maybe next time Costa's face won't swell up but this fight it did.

Let me start by saying I wasn't a fan of either guy. They both look juiced to the gills. I'm only saying this to establish that I was not emotionally invested in the outcome. I was looking forward to the fight but I didn't care who won.

A lot of Yoels strikes were touching Costa. He landed a bunch of really hard shots too. Dont get me wrong. They would have put away heavyweights.

BUT... Every thing Costa landed was a smashing blow. All full power shots. Plus he walked him down the entire fight.

Was a pretty easy fight to score in my opinion. I dont understand the crowds reaction.

That said... that was one of the best MW brawls I have seen in more than 20 years of watching MMA. It was insane the shots both guys ate. I was super impressed by both guys cardio and chins. It looked like two G.I. Joe acton figures fighting.

Dumb thread made by another dumb sherbro who doesn’t understand how scoring works.

was rooting for romero but the guy took the first two rounds off

what the fuck was that backing up into the fence and sticking his tongue out while eating shots? that's not going to win you a fight, sorry bro

and since when does scoring a takedown in the last five seconds of a round win you the entire round???

2-1 costa, but romero would have ended his life it it was a five rounder

excelent fight! f**k statistics.

Yoel is a beast, he is 42 years old.

Costa is the new champ.

Nah based on the scoring system round by round it was pretty clearly 2-1 Costa. Yoel whooped his ass damage wise but the rules are what they are.

to be fair stipe actually finished the fight and the fight was eventually ended by strikes to the head. The amount of fights ended by strikes to the head compared to body can't even compare.
That finish was completely set up by those hard body shots.

That finish was completely set up by those hard body shots.
I do agree with that but I just think it's an outlier to see fights finished with body shots. Obviously does happen and yes the main event was an example of that.

Yoel thought he was going to win the fight by eating shots and sticking his tongue out after. Great plan.

Lets not forget that perfectly timed eyepoke Yoel landed just as he was getting tagged with bombs... :D

Then Yoel immediately goes to the cage and hangs his arms up to rest. Thats a bit odd isnt it? Hes not even looking to see if Costa is okay and wants to continue.. instead he lands a big poke and then immediately goes to rest at the cage, back turned to his opponent.. Fishy.
lol the fuck? do you think this is some charity event? why the fuck would yoel be concerned about Costa? what a dumb post.

Just rewatched. Have zero issues with the judges giving Paulo that 2nd round. Yoel did not do enough catching up after getting flurried in those first 2 minutes.

Legit win IMO.

Significant strikes: Romero outlanding
romero: 125
costa: 118

Strikes to the head: Romero landed 43.3%!!!!!! more punches to the head (contains the brain and should be regarded as more effective than strikes to the leg/body).
romero: 96
costa: 67
Romero outstruck costa to the head in every round.

Round 1: both had a knockdown but costa's knockdown was the most significant strike of the fight. Romero landed 4 more strikes to the head but was outstruck in total by 5.
10-9 costa

round 2: Yoel out strikes costa in total strikes, strikes to the head, strikes to the leg and gets the only takedown of the fight. The only stat Yoel loses out on is body shots.
10-9 romero

round 3: Romero lands more total strikes, LANDED 87.5% MORE HEAD STRIKES and more strikes to the leg.
10-9 romero

29-28 romero

Costa landed the most effective strike of the fight but Yoel clearly hurt Costa several more times than Costa did Yoel. I have no clue how the judges gave Costa a unanimous decision most of his strikes were blocked by Yoel. Costa i feel got way more credit just because people didn't expect him to do so well.

View attachment 632011

The guy ended up in a wheelchair.

http://ufcstats.com/fight-details/3e16a71836e85212

Too bad you're not a judge.

Never leave it in the hands of the judges.

Back