Why not have DC fight a top LHW

alpharowe3

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Why not have DC fight a top 10 LHW (one coming off a win) instead of a HW coming off a loss, assuming he is going to fight Jones. I personally would rather see DC vs Hendo, Machida, or Gus than DC vs Mir. Also it'd be a good test run for DC's weight cut for him to fight at 205.

I suspect DC wants to make sure Cain beats Reem before he drops down. He doesn't want to give up his pizza unless he has to.

Probably because DC doesn't want to fight at LHW right now, I don't know why but im sure he has his reasons and the UFC probably didn't feel like forcing him to cut to 205 right now since he will probably do it eventually.

He can't safely cut a large amount of weight so he would actually need to eat healthy for many months and lose those love handles first.

sounds good to me if dc can make 205 he will be smashing folks

He said he would need about 6 months to able to cut to 205.

I suspect DC wants to make sure Cain beats Reem before he drops down. He doesn't want to give up his pizza unless he has to.

That sounds like a pretty good explanation. Also, this seems like the perfect time to have a catchweight fight. I'm sure there's another big LHW out there who doesn't want to make a hard cut who'd be willing to fight at 215.

That sounds like a pretty good explanation. Also, this seems like the perfect time to have a catchweight fight. I'm sure there's another big LHW out there who doesn't want to make a hard cut who'd be willing to fight at 215.

I bet Forrest would do it.

He definitely should have a couple at 205 before fighting JBJ

He had a fought scheduled with Frank Mir that he liked, and he wants to make that match a reality.

Plus, if Cain loses to Reem, Bigfoot, or whomever, he could get a title shot at HW.

He had a fought scheduled with Frank Mir that he liked, and he wants to make that match a reality.

Plus, if Cain loses to Reem, Bigfoot, or whomever, he could get a title shot at HW.

If it comes down to Cormier Vs Reem my money is on Cormier.

Honestly he should fight a LHW before Jones, maybe someone like Rashad or Shogun

Honestly he should fight a LHW before Jones, maybe someone like Rashad or Shogun

That's not how it works now. You get press=>shitle tot, and it help if you're coming off a loss. That's how we do things now.

Why not have DC fight a top 10 LHW (one coming off a win) instead of a HW coming off a loss, assuming he is going to fight Jones. I personally would rather see DC vs Hendo, Machida, or Gus than DC vs Mir. Also it'd be a good test run for DC's weight cut for him to fight at 205.

Cormier should have to beat a top 3 light heavyweight before getting a shot. Does he think he can Sonnen his way to a title shot?

Just like Chael Sonnen did.....This is UFC. Melendez is getting a shot at Benson his first fight in UFC. I think Melendez deserves it though.
UFC=WWE of MMA

Mir is one of the hyped ufc guys and an easy win for cormier on paper so is a good fight to get himself noticed in. Also he is cutting down weight gradually and probably unable to come in at 205 safely in time for his next fight. He came in lighter vs staring than he did vs barnett he probably will come in another 5 pounds or so lighter vs mir and see how he feels.

Several reasons:
- Cormier still has 25 pounds to go and he's not risking a big water cut. So he needs more time to diet steadily;
- Cormier needs to build his name with UFC fans. The only good LHW currently unscheduled is Gus, and, although he's good, beating Frank Mir gives you much more name value and exposure among casual fans;
- Cormier wanted to fight 5 times in 2013, so he may very well fight Mir in April, fight a LHW contender in summer and fight LHW champ late in Autumn/early winter. If he stays healthy and wins without taking much damage it is possible.

So, in the perfect universe where Cormier fights 4 times a year and Jones has 3 defences, everything is fine.

Back