• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why no sidekicks in mma

I remember when i was at t'sko i booted one of their heavy bags completely off its holding with a side kick and duane ludwig came over and gave it a ten count lol

I'm surprised you are not in UFC or another fighting organisation with such power.

I think iv decided that once i have developed my roundhouse kick the body and legs to the right extent ( i.e they hurt even when blocked) then i will decide on if i wanna add the side kick or spinning back kick to my repetoire. The spinning back kicks seems to work more for knockouts in mma it seems, though those that make it work use it spareingly

the almighty unstoppable sidekick!!! look at the level of competition he pulls it off. and look how the guys just disappears like a ninja after he lands.... so elusive

Chino...sorry for the bluntness but you don't know what you're talking about on this one. I can pull of side kicks almost at will when I spar, and I've also broken a few heavy bags with them.

Are there inherent risks with the kick? Sure. Just because YOU can't pull it off, doesn't mean it's not a good kick. This response isn't meant to be the start of an immature shit-talking bout that I know you're fully capable and wanting of, but you need to stick to talking about things you have a working knowledge of.

If you ever care to test out the validity of what I'm saying, come and train with me one day. I always enjoy the experience of training with new partners.

Chino...sorry for the bluntness but you don't know what you're talking about on this one. I can pull of side kicks almost at will when I spar, and I've also broken a few heavy bags with them.

Are there inherent risks with the kick? Sure. Just because YOU can't pull it off, doesn't mean it's not a good kick. This response isn't meant to be the start of an immature shit-talking bout that I know you're fully capable and wanting of, but you need to stick to talking about things you have a working knowledge of.

If you ever care to test out the validity of what I'm saying, come and train with me one day. I always enjoy the experience of training with new partners.

Can you say close minded??

lets not let this degenerate into name calling and petty comments, that helps noone and just pisses people off, the discussion is not helped by comments such as " oooh arent you scary" and "I side kicked your mom" etc.

if im ever in that area. i might have to take you up on that. i dont do that kick fighting stuff... but its nothing new to me.

yeah i can be a jerk to some of these people on these forums. but its for good reason. alot of "im a professional swimmer but i never swam" type of stuff goes on in these forums. i know i can be a asshole but i appreciate your response, maybe i can learn how to respond in a respectful manner from you ;)

anyways.. i made a comment to a buddy of mine one day. went something like

"is a sidekick considered a muay thai technique" his response "sure, why wouldnt it? does it work?" me "it does work.. but no body hardly ever does it in muay thai" his response "theres must be a good reason why its not used"

"is a sidekick considered a muay thai technique" his response "sure, why wouldnt it? does it work?" me "it does work.. but no body hardly ever does it in muay thai" his response "theres must be a good reason why its not used"

Well your buddy isnt aware of it being used in sanshou comps regularly or the fact hug,hailong,le,and daniels used the technique often when they fought

if im ever in that area. i might have to take you up on that. i dont do that kick fighting stuff... but its nothing new to me.

yeah i can be a jerk to some of these people on these forums. but its for good reason. alot of "im a professional swimmer but i never swam" type of stuff goes on in these forums. i know i can be a asshole but i appreciate your response, maybe i can learn how to respond in a respectful manner from you ;)

anyways.. i made a comment to a buddy of mine one day. went something like

That's true. There's a reason for it. But it all comes down to whether or not someone CAN or CANNOT pull off something against someone else. The tit for tat (or you do this then I'll just do that) means little if you actually CAN'T do that in application. I know that if a low kick comes in I need to check it and counter kick, but it doesn't always happen that way because I might time it wrong or simply not catch the kick in time to do the specific counter.

E.G. I did use side kicks in Muay Thai as well. I remember an instance while home on military leave I visited the ol' muay thai gym and sparred with one of the young guys there. I was not in fight shape so it only went a few rounds, but every other time the kid tried to punch me with his rear hand, I knocked him back a good 4 feet with a side kick. He had trouble countering it because I never did it as an offensive move and timed it as an interception, and I didn't do it every single time he punched so that he couldn't set up on me.

Well your buddy isnt aware of it being used in sanshou comps regularly or the fact hug,hailong,le,and daniels used the technique often when they fought

Has a group of Thai fighters ever fought a group of Chinese Sanshou fighters yet? Or has there every been a MT vs Sanda card? Because even though Sanshou guys pull it off it may not be as successful against pro MT guys. To be fair and all.

Has a group of Thai fighters ever fought a group of Chinese Sanshou fighters yet? Or has there every been a MT vs Sanda card? Because even though Sanshou guys pull it off it may not be as successful against pro MT guys. To be fair and all.

yeah there have been .hailong was known as "the conqueror of muay thai"

that and you had guys like le and hug pulling off the kick against mt stylists in their kickboxing career

that and you had guys like le and hug pulling off the kick against mt stylists in their kickboxing career

Well..Cung Le is Cung Le. He is definitely one of my favorite fighters, or was before turning quasi-action movie guy. Loved watching him suplex people because well...I like suplexing people too...as well as sidekicking them.

But good...so if there's evidence of it being used successfully on film against MT folks, then from this point on the conversation is moot about it being ineffective. Now why is it that it's not common? Probably because people just don't learn to use it effectively.

Well..Cung Le is Cung Le. He is definitely one of my favorite fighters, or was before turning quasi-action movie guy. Loved watching him suplex people because well...I like suplexing people too...as well as sidekicking them.

But good...so if there's evidence of it being used successfully on film against MT folks, then from this point on the conversation is moot about it being ineffective. Now why is it that it's not common? Probably because people just don't learn to use it effectively.

if i recall correctly there was a vid posted pages back of a thai fighter using the kick in his matches in thai land so either way arguing the kick doesnt work is just silly and pointless

conqueror of muay thai? since when has he ever fought in muay thai rules? and who has he fought in muay thai rules? matter a fact.... what muay thai fighter did he fight under san shou rules?

and i think my buddy was trying to say.. anything that works and is within the rules of muay thai.. is a muay thai technique. not just limited to knees in the clinch and leg kicks.

oh and did you know san shou was created withing the last 60-70 years cause muay thai fighters went to china a kicked the shit out of those praying mantis, tiger palm guys? its documented. san shou was created to counter muay thai.

Last edited:
Back