Why New York when you have Texas?

Yrat

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was wondering why MMA is not bigger and more famous in Texas since there are plenty of people there who likes to watch rodeo.

Why New York when you have Dallas or Houston? Is it the wrong demography? Less revenues?

Why they do not make all big fights in Texas instead Nevada?

Well because....
tenor.gif

Texas is poorer and also less densely populated.

So, people are too poor to order PPVs.

And in most places you probably have to drive an hour to go to a bar showing a PPV.

I have family in the South. I've visited them before and it's impossible to follow the UFC there. Gotta drive like an hour or more each way just to get to the nearest shitty bar showing the fights.

who the hell would go to Texas when they can go to New York ??!?

<{vega}>

Because new york city has almost 3 times as many people as both of those cities combined.

I was wondering why MMA is not bigger and more famous in Texas since there are plenty of people there who likes to watch rodeo.

Why New York when you have Dallas or Houston? Is it the wrong demography? Less revenues?

I always thought cowboy Conor should've happened in a big football stadium instead of the T MOBILE. They'd have no issues selling out and would make a bigger gate.

I had a layover in DFW once. I will never make that mistake again.

Most of the explanation lay in existing infrastructure and entire networks of professionals well established in New York City and Las Vegas. These cities have been promoting and hosting major combat sports (i.e., boxing) events for literally generations. Said professionals don't want to travel so far away to build up new networks, in a region with cities that are much more industrial and blue collar than what they're used to.

Two things to note:

First, Texas has plenty of combat sport athletes and fans, but demographics dictates a greater likelihood for an interest in boxing than mixed martial arts. Second, Texas has its own industries and sport events that its residents go nuts for.

Also, as an aside: anyone who has ever spent time in Dallas or Houston and thinks you can't find a sports bar or some other public watering hole to watch a mixed martial arts event hasn't left their hotel room. I mean, needing to drive an hour to find a place streaming an MMA? What coastal elitist bullshit.

Contrary to popular belief, rodeos aren't nearly as popular as you would expect. Some of us even drive cars in the stead of riding horseback. I don't even carry a six shooter on my hip.

Last edited:

Nevada isnt in new york...first of all

Secondly texas doesnt have nearly the same amount of people

Because it's Texas.

New York is the media market in the US.

Contrary to popular belief, rodeos aren't nearly as popular as you would expect. Some of us even drive cars in the stead of riding horseback. I don't even carry a six shooter on my hip.

Yeah, but you drive a pickup truck (diesel) and wear cowboy boots, right?

Back