Why more striking gyms than grappling

H

HomoPlata69wmen

I'm trying to find a BJJ school around here but all I can find is tae kwon do, karate, and kung fu. I have found one BJJ place but its quite a drive to get there and with gas prices these days thats not a good thing.

For every 100 karate/ tae kwon do schools theres only one BJJ and absolutely no Muay Thai whatsoever.

WTF everyone says that MMA is so mainstream now with TUF newbies running around but there are still no decent gyms unless you want to drive for one hour. :icon_sad:

Karate and TKD schools are much more established (isn't TKD the most practiced martial art in the world or something?), you'd need to wait a few more years before MMA gyms start popping up everywhere (hopefully not with rainbow belts or anything of that nature).

Find a Judo school, they're relatively common and legit. Boxing is also usually available in most cities, but you have to search as (in my experience) they are not very well advertised.

Karate and exp TKD schools are easy being that it only takes a few years to become a BB and hence open your own school. Plus ther is no real way to trace lineage . BJJ takes alot of years and is alot easier to trace if it is legit .

Cause karate and all have been around for so long McDojo's are everywhere trying to make a quick buck. Got to be very careful when joining one.

yeah that makes sense.

its very frustrating to look for a place to train and find all these mcdojos around me but no BJJ or muay thai. i wish the karate places would offer something more.

thanks for the reply.

anyway i have a question on a different topic. i was gonna make a thread but its not letting me. am i only allowed to make one thread a day or something.

Well there have always been boxing gyms everywhere, especially in the inner cities (hence why many Mexicans and Blacks are able to go pro in boxing.) As for TKD and Karate..They're like the staple for mcdojo's.

There are quite a few BJJ clubs/schools around, but its not even about that anymore. It's all about the MMA gyms now.

I'm trying to find a BJJ school around here but all I can find is tae kwon do, karate, and kung fu. I have found one BJJ place but its quite a drive to get there and with gas prices these days thats not a good thing.

For every 100 karate/ tae kwon do schools theres only one BJJ and absolutely no Muay Thai whatsoever.

WTF everyone says that MMA is so mainstream now with TUF newbies running around but there are still no decent gyms unless you want to drive for one hour. :icon_sad:

It depends where you live....in the Jersey Shore area there are over 10 legit MMA/Muay Thai/BJJ gyms all within a half hour drive of each other.

It depends where you live....in the Jersey Shore area there are over 10 legit MMA/Muay Thai/BJJ gyms all within a half hour drive of each other.

I bet the mats get all greasy from guido hairspray.

TKD and karate are easy. You just stand in line kicking and punching the air. Then some guy comes around and tells you you are doing a great job. It is really hard to fail. Real training demands effort is painful. People are fickle and want quick gratification. Those McDojo's probably have tons of people contracted that never even show up.

To put it simply striking arts have always been more popular in the States until recently. Of course there was the Judo era.

Because grappling is a hundred times as hard as striking

Because grappling is a hundred times as hard as striking

Have you done any striking? Stepping the ring with a good boxer or muay thai fighter fucking sucks. At least in grappling you just tap out. I've walked out of rings bloody and bruised as all hell. But yeah striking with out sparring is uber easy. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
herrsackbauer
Back