• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Why McGregor will never be an MMA great.

It is true thought that McGregor is an extremely skilled fighter. He had a flying knee against Khabib that prbly would have knocked him if it went 2 centimeters to the right. But Khabib fighting instincts is prbly a reason it didnt land correctly. But however McGregor is extremely fast. He could prbly win over Khabib 1 of 4 matches as it is now. But he has the talent to go 2/4 maybe 3/4 if he strengthened his guard game and take down defense. But to do that he needs to stop showing how he celebrates his newfound life of wealth and start going back to the astecian level of discipline and determination it takes to be at top-mode.

Khabib's hand speed was considerably better than Conor's in this fight. Even I was surprised by that. Khabib was able to at least match Conor on the feet, even though he had a much shorter reach than McGregor.

Khabib's hand speed was considerably better than Conor's in this fight. Even I was surprised by that. Khabib was able to at least match Conor on the feet, even though he had a much shorter reach than McGregor.

No he was not able to match Conor on the feet. He lost the third round on all score cards when the fight was on the feet.

Please do your research before you post such jibberish.

No he was not able to match Conor on the feet. He lost the third round on all score cards when the fight was on the feet.

Please do your research before you post such jibberish.

Conor did zero damage to Khabib on his feet. Perhaps you haven't seen this gif yet:

Conor04.gif

This is mixed martial arts people. You can't be a great, goat or a legend without being well rounded in all areas. All of these fighters, who are frequently mentioned as all-time greats are good with their hands and also solid on the ground.

- Jon Jones
- GSP
- Anderson Silva
- Fedor
- Khabib

McGregor is a one-dimensional boxer and as Khabib has proven, Conor's even over-rated in that area.

matt hughes is a great and he wasnt that good with stand up. royce gracie is a legend and his stand up sucked.

This is mixed martial arts people. You can't be a great, goat or a legend without being well rounded in all areas. All of these fighters, who are frequently mentioned as all-time greats are good with their hands and also solid on the ground.

- Jon Jones
- GSP
- Anderson Silva
- Fedor
- Khabib

McGregor is a one-dimensional boxer and as Khabib has proven, Conor's even over-rated in that area.

I hate Conor as much as anyone in here...well... minus the nuthuggers :)

but Khabib is as one-trick-poney as COnor.
The only difference is that Khabib's threat of takedown gives him an advantage when he strikes (because no one expects him to).

But you contradicted your own argument if you believe Khabib needs to be on this list (which I won't dispute since it is your view).

You're right. My bad.

Doesn't change the fact he's a dirty cheat.

Last I checked, Werdum and Weidman aren't really mentioned much in current ATG discussions. And you just proved my point with your Weidman comment. Weidman was considered ATG after his Silva wins because dumb people like to jump to ATG conclusions based on a single victory, and his many losses after that was evident of this.

Silva was dominating the division for the longest time and him losing to Weidman proved that he could easily beat everyone not named Weidman, but that does not automatically mean Weidman beats everyone Silva can beat, MMAth doesn't work. Likewise, Ado beat everyone at FW not named Conor, but that doesn't mean Conor definitely wins the next title challenger that comes along.

If Weidman had moved up to 205 immediately after winning Silva, we would never have found out that Weidman really isn't the top MW, and dumbfuck nuthuggers would continue with the fantasy that Weidman would beat every MW out there. And that's precisely what Conor tried to do. And you are one of those nuthuggers living in lala-land.
Sorry dude. All of your butthurt won't change the fact that no one else will be able to do what McGregor did. No one will dominate 2 champions at 2 different weight divisions like he did. All the butthurt in the world from his haters can't take that away. No matter how much you gargle Khabib's nuts, it's not going to change this.

What did he do? A nice win streak which has since been surpassed? Never defending a single belt? Embarrassing the whole MMA community with his ludicrous charade with Mayweather? Looking like a boy amongst men against Khabib? Tapping to Diaz, a relative journey man who was only a few fights removed from Josh Thompson knocking him silly?
He KO'd the p4p king in 13 seconds. Then moved up in weight and dominated the 155 pound champion. Wake me up when Khabib beats Woodley. It's not gonna happen. No one else will EVER accomplish this. So continue your butthurt.

That's because Conor wasn't 100%.

He KO'd the p4p king in 13 seconds. Then moved up in weight and dominated the 155 pound champion. Wake me up when Khabib beats Woodley. It's not gonna happen. No one else will EVER accomplish this. So continue your butthurt.

And Conor actually made weight at 145, so it's more like wake me up when Khabib beats Whittaker.

People will sit there and excuse Fedor for losing to guys two weight classes below him, but will knock Conor for losing to guys two weight classes above him.

And Conor actually made weight at 145, so it's more like wake me up when Khabib beats Whittaker.

People will sit there and excuse Fedor for losing to guys two weight classes below him, but will knock Conor for losing to guys two weight classes above him.

I never thought I'd say this but you hit the nail on the head. Conor absolutely destroyed the former FW and current FW champion and ran through the division like a hot knife through butter. Moved up to face RDA who pulled out, then fought Diaz at 170 which is 2 weight classes above where he usually fights. Then made Eddie who had faced a murderers row to get to the belt and starched RDA in 1, look like an amateur, not a world champion.
Khabib couldn't hold a candle to Conor in terms of achievements, legacy and general success in combat sports.

giphy.gif

GOATS? No.
But Greats? Absolutely yes.

Nobody wins 2 titles as easily as he did without being great.

He think he was made Khabib' bitch by tapping to a face squeeze like that but you guys are discounting Ginger way too much since this last fight.

He is still absolutely top tear.

Nobody has been gifted 2 title shots back to back different weight classes before the guy was a cash cow cause mostly of his mouth... he had some good 1 liners back in the day but whatever comes out of his mouth these days is just bs

We will see. His performance a few weeks ago was certainly not good. I obviously expected him to come out and look like himself. But he was fighting a great opponent. So we will see who is fighting next and how he looks..

IMO his decline is psychological in nature. He had ambitions of greatness coupled with a belief that "the secret" could harness forces that determine outcomes. ALL of his exuberance and drama and confidence and excitement came from this misconstrued notion. He now knows it to be false or that he cannot apply it sufficiently.

He will either double down and pursue con man like success (hype and image) where there is not a pass fail test at the end of every endeavour of else drift into addition and meaninglessness. I do not believe there is any chance of his long term success in MMA.

I never thought I'd say this but you hit the nail on the head. Conor absolutely destroyed the former FW and current FW champion and ran through the division like a hot knife through butter. Moved up to face RDA who pulled out, then fought Diaz at 170 which is 2 weight classes above where he usually fights. Then made Eddie who had faced a murderers row to get to the belt and starched RDA in 1, look like an amateur, not a world champion.
Khabib couldn't hold a candle to Conor in terms of achievements, legacy and general success in combat sports.

giphy.gif

Conor is one of the best, but a big reason for that is because he's a chancer.

These others won't touch risk with a 10 foot pole. Just look at what GSP is doing. Look at what Anderson did. Fedor. Mighty Mouse.

Yet Conor is called the cherry-picker, yet every fight he takes is even more challenging than the last. He could've very well stayed at FW and beat on guys like Cub, Elkins, and Ricardo Llamas to pad his title defense record. He chose to do something more though, maybe one day people will learn to recognize that.

- Jon Jones
- GSP
- Anderson Silva
- Fedor
- Khabib

Aldo should be on that list. One really bad loss doesn't erase years of domination. Easily the FW GOAT

- Jon Jones
- GSP
- Anderson Silva
- Fedor
- Khabib

He is great in his weight class he started at..Starched everyone and embarrassed aldo. He lost his focus and fame got to him,he couldve done better at 155.. You dont take 2 years off and come back and try to beat a fighter thats your achielles heel while drinkin,smokin weed and snorting coke.

McGregor should of hung around and defended his 145 title, rather than win the 155 belt.

It's great to capture titles, but defending is the sign of a true champion.

Conor is going to go down as an excellent front runner with great highlight moments.

He won't go down as a true great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
romanych
Back